Which should i get

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retired, Dec 11, 2011.

1. retired macrumors member

I am in the market for a new cell phone . I have an Imac and my daughter is getting the new ipod touch for Xmas . Should i get the iphone 4 or 4S
    The 4s is 159.00 on 3yr term the iphone 4 is 49.99 on same contract . I have read alot on the web of people having problems with the ios5 . do they both now come with the ios5 or will i need to update when i get one of them

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Where are you getting the iP4S for $159.00? Is it a retiree discount?

I have the 4S and upgraded to iOS 5.0.1 and no issues. Not sure why some have had issues and others not. I can say one thing, I didn't change much in settings out of the box. All I changed was Bluetooth OFF, WiFi Search OFF, A couple of Location Services OFF such as Camera. And that's about it.

Siri has been ON since and I use it sparingly and haven't noticed significant battery drain.

Edit: 3yr. term is why it's for $159.00 That's way too long.

3. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

i know all market like walmart/bestbuy/target/ only 2 years contact their is no 3 years ....

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Where is "ns"? Nova Scotia? In any case, I believe the 4 still comes with iOS 4, not iOS 5...but I could be wrong.

Just stop, please.

5. retired thread starter macrumors member

I am in NOva Scotia and my carrier is Bell Canada . My choice is 3years or no term and i cannot afford the out wright price

----------

i am in nova scotia on bell canada network 3years or no term

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Gotcha. Well, to answer your original question, I'd personally get the 4S. And I don't know about your service, coverage, etc. but I'm happy with mine where I am with AT&T so I wouldn't personally hesitate to sign a 3 year contract if that's how I could afford the 4S. Just my opinion though.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

3 years is a long time. I can't believe Bell Canada can commit you for that length of time. I would still get the 4S, because it does have the latest technology and should take you well into 3 years. If something should happen to your Mac, you can still update the 4S over air, unlike the 4 which require synching.

Go through this forum. There's a lot of valuable advice I've learned. Hopefully, you can troubleshoot issues here if ever a need.

Good Luck with your decision.

8. lordofthereef, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Here is a question, since I am unfamiliar with 3 year contracts. How soon can you upgrade? If you need to stick out the full three years to upgrade, I would go with the 4S. You are going to see the longest support out of that device.

What are the monthly rates? On a three year contract (with US monthly fees) that phone shouldn't cost you a dime. It;s unfortunate it's still as expensive as it is.

My worry with a 3 year is, even if you extend your warranty, you are going to go at least a year without warranty. Unless you take REALLY good care of your phone or simply don't use it much, you are likely to encounter some issues three years down the line.

9. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

If you can't afford the outright price how can you afford the contract?

No one knows how to save anymore...

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Just what?? Those aren't carriers and do not set the contract terms.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

"Can't afford" has become synonymous with "don't want to pay for". I often say I can't afford something. If I truly wanted to buy most of the things "I can't afford" I certainly could, but I don't.

12. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I would get the 4s. I find it to be much better than the 4.

13. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I have an iPhone 4 with an upgrade available. I'm holding out. There wasn't enough of a change for me to upgrade to the 4s. I'll wait another year. The 4 has caused me zero problems. Dependable, efficient battery, and just works.

14. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

ok , if you want play long with iphone then get iphone 4
    [ battery 6-8 hour ]

ok , if you want play speed fast twice with iphone then get iphone 4S
    [ battery 3 - 4 hour ]

15. retired thread starter macrumors member

For the 4S no term is 649.95 or 3yrs for 159.95 16 GB
    for 4 no term 549.95 or 3yrs 49.95 8 GB

monthly I have the $60.00 Data/voice plan 300 anytime minutes and 1 GB of data i get 40% off the monthly cost because I am retired Bell telephone employee No discount for the telephone set

16. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

oh good on ya mate, working the retired system! :D

17. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Our contracts are a year longer here in Canada compared to the US. But the contract price of the iPhone is cheaper here in Canada.

$159 compared to $199. Or free 3GS and $49 iPhone 4 all on a 3 yr contract.

I would go for the 4S. Im on Virgin Mobile which is Bell and love my 4S. Our upgrades are not nearly as good as the US upgrades. We usually have to wait min 2yrs to upgrade most of the time. And thats why I buy my iPhones from the Apple Store each year ;)

Get the latest device and you will be more then happy!

18. walie macrumors 6502a

you also get free tethering included with data plans 1GB and up

19. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

We sure do. But no unlimited data in Canada. :(

20. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

On what are you basing this? Do you even own a 4S?

I do, and I get A LOT more than 'battery 3 - 4 hour'.

Perhaps you shouldn't chime in if you don't know what you're talking about; and you clearly don't.

21. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

I have had NO problems wit my battery in my 4S either. Seems to last as long as my 4 did.

22. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Don't know about Canada, but in the USA the monthly fee is the same with or without a contract - so there is zero financial benefit to buying outright. The only reasonable exception is if you travel internationally and need to use different SIMs in different countries.

I "can't afford" to waste the money on buying outright when I can save $450 by buying subsidized.

23. newagemac macrumors 68020

You actually get free tethering in the U.S. on AT&T too. But you have to pay for at least 4GB to get it. It costs $10 extra for every GB so upgrading from the 2GB plan to the 4GB plan costs $20 and they give you tethering with it.

24. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would get the 4S. It's a better phone overall compared to the 4. You never know how much longer the older phones will continue to have support as the iOS's continue to be released. Maybe in 2 years time the 4 won't be able to upgrade to the latest iOS for so and so reasons. At least if you bought the 4 it should be good for at least for the duration of your contract.

25. retired thread starter macrumors member

I am now settled on either the iphone 4s for a 3 yr contract for 159.95 or I can get the samsung galaxy s2 for 49.95 on a 3 yr contract .

The 4s is ahead because i already own an imac and my daughter has the ipod touch We can use wifi to communicate