Which site correctly guessed only a 4s & NEVER entertained the idea of a iPhone5???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Quick question, so I know who to believe next year when the rumors start again...

So many random blogs ran stories on the imaginary iPhone 5. Looking back I hated giving them the page views for their stories as they were obviously talking out of their ass! :mad:

Was there any blog, writer, or techsite that NEVER even acknowledge the iPhone 5 rumors by writing a story about it for page hits? Or vehemently said that there would only be an iPhone 4s the entire time?

If there was 1 particular trusted site that had this information I'll just follow them next year as well :)

Thanks for your help.

2. knoxtown macrumors 6502

My dad and I were actually talking about this today. If no one can figure it out by this weekend, I may go back and start digging.:D

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Not sure, but most tech news sites were dismissing the idea of a redesign a few weeks before the announcement...

4. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

5. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

For the average consumer that doesn't know much sure that works, but I'd rather have 1 - 2 sites that I know I can trust for real news and won't compromise their integrity...

... rather than a million sites that will make up lies and hump any story that comes out (even without real proof) for page views.

6. charliecc macrumors regular

7. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Actually, Arn was pretty adiment about the iPhone 4S being the only device launched. MR reported on the rumours, but Arn's commentary and comments in threads was pretty consistent about the iPhone 5 being a no-show.

9. urkel, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Here's the problem. The iPhone 5 mockups aren't imaginary. Just like any company that makes a product, several variations are created and tested before settling on one. A larger screen/ tear drop shape/ metal back/ wide home button model most likely was an actual prototype that was planned for production but shot down for reasons we'll never know.

For example, what if a bigger screen would take longer to manufacture and shorten supply. The iPhone 4S is selling like wild despite many users sticking to the 4, so could you imagine the demand if it was a more desirable redesign with higher production costs and lower supply? The excuses (whether speculated or real) are endless. Apple doesnt want to get behind NFC yet. LTE is still too far away. Glass issues. Samsung disputes regarding screens. Jobs health. Readjusting their release schedule. Economy etc. Whatever the reasons, the sites reporting the news weren't necessarily 100% wrong because Appls final decisions are always partly predictable and partly surprising.

So with Apple's longest gap between phone updates then it's silly to assume that the iPhone 4S that we're getting tomorrow is EXACTLY what Apple planned on releasing when they started work on figuring out what comes after the iPhone 4 and maybe a true successor will show up sooner than later. (Or maybe not.)

10. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

This sounds exactly like those blog 'analysts' that I want to avoid next year :(

Not really interested in conspiracy theories of what could, maybe, might have happened. Just need to know who had the cold hard facts:
    1. Correctly predicted only an iPhone 4s (AHEAD of the keynote)
    2. NEVER once sold away their integrity for page hits by talking about some made up iPhone 5

11. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Here's the thing, AP.

If you want hard Apple news, you'll have to visit apple.com. That is where you will find finalized, correct, 100% true Apple news.

This, as well as many other mac/osx/ios/ipod/ipad/iphone/touch sites are organizing rumors. Thusly, macrumors.

Nobody has the full, complete deal, and things are changed on a weekly basis. Stuff happens, or doesn't happen, and the rumor mill tries their best to keep it legit.

What you're looking for is "What web sites openly falsified information for page views."

There's no such thing as "facts" in this business.

12. ap3604 thread starter macrumors 68000

I can respect your opinion but I disagree that only Apple.com ever having the true story.

Certain high end sites will report things early but will only report on really CONCRETE stuff before it actually happens with real sources.

That... is what I am after. As one person has already said in the thread Arn was adamant about only a 4s according to his knowledge of the situation. I'm sure there are others as well :)

13. tigress666, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

I find the best thing for me is to see how Apple has acted in the past, see what people are saying here, and listen to the ones that sound most reasonable with all the information you get.

I was guessing no redesign mainly cause of APple's history, the arguments I saw on here were stronger given that and also their arguments for no re design,and I definitely wasn't expecting LTE. There were some very good arguments on why Apple wouldn't do that this year that involved knowing how Apple seems to think - ie wanting things to work well and give good battery life and how chips right now aren't at that stage. Also, was guessing the screen wasn't going to be bigger based on one argument I've seen that no one who was saying bigger screen seemed to address... the way iOS works means that if they changed the screen, unless they kept the resolution the same - which also meant making the screen less impressive and giving no benefit except making text bigger, means making every developer re-do their apps and having apps that will only work on one or the other creating fragmentation. Also, Apple's history has been to do the bigger speed upgrades on this cycle without doing much change. And apple tends to take technology that already exists and make it better so you can see what's being used around and judge what they might use in the next iteration.

So really your best bet is to read people's opinions on here and maybe the news, watching Apple and seeing how they seem to work/think, and judging from that for yourself what seems to be the most *realistic* predictions. Given all that I won't be surprised to see LTE next year (judging from rumors I hear of better chips that will deal with LTE better next year and the technology probably being more ripe then and more widespread) and maybe NFC payments (maybe, not sure on this one). I don't expect a larger screen due to how iOS is (from what I understand it can't easily handle changing resolutions) and honestly I think I also agree with arguments that Apple is trying to cater to a large crowd so a phone that fits better in pockets and pocketbooks as well as easier used by one hand by more people. But, this I'm not as sure on cause there does seem to be a larger cry for larger screens (even though I personally like their decision to stay the same). So while I suspect it will stay the same, I won't be totally shocked if it doesn't. I don't expect a big speed bump since apple seems to be holding true to the pattern. But not sure what major difference they'll introduce next year (not seeing anything out that is sticking out besides NFC payments. Basically what I am seeing that they could pull from is larger screen, NFC payments, curved screen (why is this so good anyways? I really don't get the excitement over this), LTE (which I would be at least moderately surprised if it didn't have) or maybe some software I'm not aware of available on some other phones but vastly improved).

Which is why I'm not sure I won't be upset if I just upgrade to this phone cause none of those things excite me (Well I kinda like NFC payments but when I Think about it I'm not sure how much it would really matter to me) and I actually don't want LTE cause I'm sure AT&T will force me on a new plan forcing me to lose my unlimited. And the speed of the internet connection is fast enough it doesn't bug me that much. Certainly getting a faster internet connection is not worth losing unlimited over.

14. andross77 macrumors regular

You are going to be HARD PRESSED to find anyone that has a job COMMENTING on FUTURE products that NEVER supports rumors/hopes/speculations/99% sure propositions.

If someone in a job like that only communicated what was 100% concrete, as you like to say, they wouldn't be in their job very long. Why? Because they would be BORING and they wouldn't tell us ANYTHING until the DAY OF.

So sorry. Your choices:

A) Jump on the rumor Merry-Go-Round and have fun.
    B) Stay home and read the newspaper with your reading glasses and warm milk.

:)

15. mlad1101 macrumors regular

There are plenty of reasons that plans change. It is extremely likely that at a point in time they planned to release a 5 instead and something wasn't up to par.(Either on supply end, networks, design etc.)

You really can't be that dense that you believe everything with apple is set in stone from day one and never deviates from the initial plans, can you??!?:rolleyes:

16. 15danielp macrumors regular

Rumors are rumors and facts are facts. No one outside of Apple apparently has the "cold hard facts" so we run to rumors websites like you did.

You say "sold away their integrity" as if you have the "cold hard facts" that they were making things up.

I'm sure most had accurate information on products and only few come fruition.