which takes more cache from an external hard drive? music files or Raw photos & video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I will be getting another external bare hard drive in an enclosure, & would like to know what file types need or would best utilize the bigger 64mb cache on the newer hard drives now.

I have content that would go on a hard drive; photos (jpg,tiff, & RAW) & .mpg, & .mov movie files off my digicams, as well as various Adobe photoshop files; .PSD, & word process & spreadsheet documents.

My other content that would go onto a hard drive is music; itunes library, albums (300+ or more) ripped in flac & mp3 format.

One of these contents will go onto the new 64mb 1TB external hard drive, & the other content will stay on a 32mb cache 1TB external hard drive.which content would be best on the hard drive with 64mb cache?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Cache is used for keeping a copy of something handy in case you need it again. For mpg, and mov files, the file sizes are often hundreds of megabytes and a 64 meg cache isn't going to be much help. For photos and mp3 files, most of which are under 10 meg, cache might be helpful if you are browsing through photos and go back and forth looking for something. Adobe photoshop raw files are huge as well and are not likely to benefit from cache. So if it were me, I'd put the photos and mp3 files on the drive with the larger cache and put the raw files and movies on the drive with the smaller cache.

I use a single Lacie 1TB drive FW for large downloads (like Xcode), photos, and movies. I'm never bothered by how long it takes to get stuff on and off the drive. I am bothered by how long it takes to copy stuff over the network.