Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crwth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
anybody know fo a reseller besides BH Photo video for a tax-free purchase of the i7 with 512gb ssd?

or maybe someone that gives more than $5 off, (aka macmall, what a joke of a deal lol)

BHphoto still doesn't have them in stock, but tax-free and additional better pricing is worth the wait (instead of buying direct from apple)

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
anybody know fo a reseller besides BH Photo video for a tax-free purchase of the i7 with 512gb ssd?

or maybe someone that gives more than $5 off, (aka macmall, what a joke of a deal lol)

BHphoto still doesn't have them in stock, but tax-free and additional better pricing is worth the wait (instead of buying direct from apple)

I ordered mine from Adorama. They claim their Mac mini stock is “pre-order” right now, but after I ordered mine, they drop-shipped the order to Apple. Essentially, Apple is going to send it to me from the factory, but I paid through Adorama with no sales tax.

I can’t say when I’ll get the order, but I would imagine at this point it’s the regular time a custom configuration takes to build and ship.

crwth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
so the deal with Adorama is same as BH Photo Video. Can't find any additional coupons

wdwpsu

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2017
Orlando
Don't forget to student pricing or EPP Pricing (Government employees, larger companies, and other industry groups are extended this offer). It was still cheaper out the door with tax than from Adorama without.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Don't forget to student pricing or EPP Pricing (Government employees, larger companies, and other industry groups are extended this offer). It was still cheaper out the door with tax than from Adorama without.

At best, student pricing will net you around 6% ... sales tax is higher (7-10% or more in most states), so it will NOT be "cheaper out the door with tax than from Adorama without".

wdwpsu

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2017
Orlando
At best, student pricing will net you around 6% ... sales tax is higher (7-10% or more in most states), so it will NOT be "cheaper out the door with tax than from Adorama without".
You are correct. 6% discount. Which is lower or equal to some states. A lot of people aren't aware of this option.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018

For me Adorama still provided the cheapest option. I saved around $180 since my state has close to 10% sales tax and I didn’t have to pay it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You are correct. 6% discount. Which is lower or equal to some states. A lot of people aren't aware of this option.

My point was that in most locations, state and local taxes will be more than the student/education/EPP discounts... so one is almost always better off selecting the retailed who does not charge sales tax. For example, a 6% discount with 10% tax is still 4% more than a seller who charges NO tax.

wdwpsu

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2017
Orlando
My point was that in most locations, state and local taxes will be more than the student/education/EPP discounts... so one is almost always better off selecting the retailed who does not charge sales tax. For example, a 6% discount with 10% tax is still 4% more than a seller who charges NO tax.
You keep citing 10%+ sales tax - Aside from Long Beach, CA and Chicago Illinois, NOBODY charges 10% Sales Tax.
There are 15 States that have an average sales less than 6% though (https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-local-sales-tax-rates-2018/). Bet they'd appreciate my information about EPP.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
You keep citing 10%+ sales tax - Aside from Long Beach, CA and Chicago Illinois, NOBODY charges 10% Sales Tax.
There are 15 States that have an average sales less than 6% though (https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-local-sales-tax-rates-2018/). Bet they'd appreciate my information about EPP.

So correct me if I'm wrong here... let's say for easy math, the mac mini cost $1,000 even.

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 6% sales tax = $996.40

So it's cheaper but not by much. Let's say your sales tax is at 7%

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 7% sales tax = $1,005.8

Now it's more expensive, but again not by too much. Let's look at those states with 9%

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 9% sales tax = $1,024.6

It's starting to make more sense to buy from a "no sales tax" store.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
So correct me if I'm wrong here... let's say for easy math, the mac mini cost $1,000 even.

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 6% sales tax = $996.40

So it's cheaper but not by much. Let's say your sales tax is at 7%

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 7% sales tax = $1,005.8

Now it's more expensive, but again not by too much. Let's look at those states with 9%

With a 6% EPP discount, you're at $940 + 9% sales tax = $1,024.6

It's starting to make more sense to buy from a "no sales tax" store.

That's what I've been saying all along... if your sales tax is above 6%, it's a no-brainer... the education/EPP discount is minimal in the scope of the big picture. And when researching sales tax rates, you must include the local 'add on' (e.g., Arizona sales tax is 5.6%, but for the Phoenix metro area, we're looking at 7.8-9.2%)

Reactions: Jorbanead

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Look a B&H, I ordered from them and they said they should be receiving them soon. They already have one config in stock.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Just be aware that many states require you to pay a use tax on items bought from out of state vendors that did not charge you sales tax. Whether you do so is your business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.