Which to choose? Windows 7 on my i7 iMac or my 2009 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maf2k8, Jul 21, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so i have finally made the switch to Mac. I have always used Windows and PCs and finally made the switch and have sold off my PC.

I currently own a 27" i7 iMac w 1tb HD and 8gb ram and also a 09 Macbook Pro C2D 2.5GHz w 4gb ram and 250gb HD.

I have 1 copy of Windows 7 64 so i have to choose which system it goes on.

I am not sure which system i should use it on, I will more then likely be using Boot Camp.

I hardly need to use Windows BUT at times there might be "that program" that is ONLY for Windows ( for instance, i have 1 program i use to program my guitar effects processor that is for Windows only )

So from time to time i might need windows.

I am not sure which i would benefit more from, my i7 iMac or MBP?

Are there any issues or known problems with running Windows 7 on iMac or MBP that i should know about ? ( maybe that could help be decide )

Any comments, help or advice would be great before i do the install, thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMac has more power and you can make the RAM 8GB for 100 bucks. I would use VM because Boot Camp is slow and clumsy, you don't want to reboot in order to run ONE app.

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok i might give that a try.

Could anyone comment on the differences between vmware vs parallels?

What are the Pros and Cons of each?

I also run Dual Displays on my iMac ( iMac and 24" ACD so using VM or Parallels might actually be better since i can pan Windows onto the 2nd display)

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Put in on the iMac. With a bigger screen, faster hard disk, more ram, and proper keyboard and mouse, you'll have a great windows experience on the imac. Macbook pro trackpad drivers have never been usable for windows.