Which type of Mac is for me? Just sold ALL of my PCs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vyruz Reaper, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

Long time reader first time poster,

So a quick background.

Always used PCs, have owned over 10 laptops, a couple desktops and currently own 1 notebook(I guess i havent sold all ;))

My past few laptops are:

1)Alienware M17x
    2)Dell XPS m1730
    3) Dell XPS m1710
    4) Dell e1705

As you can see, I have been accustomed to 17 inch 1920x1200 screen. I do not game anymore so I dont care about graphics cards(as long as I can watch movies and have a few applications running i will be happy)

Reasons for me selling my PCs are that I am going back to school, want something smaller and more mobile, and also want something with a lot better battery life, sleeker, safe and no headache hardware and software.

What I am looking for is a 13inch MBP. I can either wait till Jan and buy the newer models or just buy now. Not sure what I wanna do with that. You guys can either answer that question or not, seems like everyone gets on everyones back here when they ask them this question

I am a little worried about transitioning from a big 17inch screen to a small 13 inch. I love the real estate and big screens I have used for web browsing, movies and multitasking. I am considering buying an iMac or mac mini to go with my 13inch MBP. People I have asked have told me I am going overkill. I just sold my Alienware for a couple grand so my budget is around 2500, but the less I spend the better b/c I am a student. I also get student pricing.

Should I buy an iMac 27inch keep my netbook? Buy a 21.5 imac and 13 MBP base models? Buy only a 13inchMBP and sell my netbook? Buy a 13inch MBP and mac mini(to connect to my tv in the living room). I am a little lost here lol:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for all of your help

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are happy with the netbook then stick with that and add a 21.5" iMac. Otherwise, wait until the end of Jan.

3. TSE macrumors 68030

If you are considering deciding between a desktop and a laptop, I would actually choose the $1999 15" MacBook Pro route... Portable, powerful, and wouldn't be as drastic as going from 17" to 13". The reason I say the $1999 one is because you said you don't game anymore... I have said that numerous times too and sometimes I just get the urge to do some gaming. :D

EDIT: Otherwise, yeah, a netbook/iMac mix is decent too.

4. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, yeah, but I have a wii and xbox 360 so Ill just leave all my gaming to the consoles. I have gotten used to the first person shooters on xbox so i dont feel bad leaving the PC.

I have an Asus 10inch eee PC. Its great but I feel the need for full video support. It barely plays movies and youtube. I wish i has the 9400m in this thing. If i did buy the 13 inch, I wanted to sell my netbook.

I though about the 15 inch, but I go to school, and I want to carry something small and light.

I had my heart set on a MBP so it seems like I should buy EITHER a imac or a MBP, not both. Now which one? lol

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

how about this. I have a 13in mbp with 2.53ghz paired to a 24 in dell monitor that's perfect for doing research at home (opening multiple pdfs, websites, and a word doc or two. & its perfect on the go.

6. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

A 13" MBP paired with a large external display would be my suggestion. And then get to know and love Spaces for when you are on the go.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have a 15" MBP and it is fine. Not too heavy.

8. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

for a hundred dollar difference, I will def. get the macbook pro :)

I might do that, I was looking at the apple display and it was 800 dollars! lol

Do I need any special wires to hook up the MBP to a TV or another moniter?

whats spaces? I guess that my queue to look that one up

9. sliceofman macrumors newbie

well if u guys are pairing stuff, u might as well get the 27" iMac cuz it can be used as an external display as well, all u need is the wire to connect the vid out from the netbook and u're good, as well u'll have a computer too

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

just a mini display adapter to dvi adapter or what ever type of hook up you need. LOL I bought my mini display adapter on amazon for $4 after I lost my genuine apple branded one for like $29. works that same !!! :- ) Yeah the apple display one is wayy to much. I got mine for 220 on ebay used. its the 24 inche one.

Also spaces is a feature within osx that makes managing your work space really efficient. I know everytime I use a PC i long for spaces as I have so many documents, websites, and pdfs open. its very efficient.

11. loveturtle macrumors member

my $0.02... If you haven't gone to an apple store or played with someone elses I would have to agree with one of the above posters and say go play with a 15" mbp and see if it's really too big. It's abot 5lbs and 1" thick it's not bad...I had one for the last few years at my job and I climb around on rooftops with it.

I am a resolution spoiled person too, in 2004 I owned a inspiron 9100 with a 15.4" 1920x1200 display. Sick....Sick is the only way I can describe that display. Then in early 2006 I got a 15" mbp. I loved that thing but the 1440x900 really...really annoyed me. I kept it until about two months ago and now I have a 17" unibody with 1920x1200 again. Honestly, the resolution on the 13" is just so low I can't tolerate it for a minute. I would seriously suggest touching a 15" for a few minutes (if you haven't already) before you make your decision. Short of that, sure, a 13" with a cheap display for home would work. You really need to go touch both for a little bit before you decide.

As for buying an imac over a macbook, why bother? they're practically the same computer but one isn't portable. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless you got the hardcore 27" (or whatever) imac that rivals the cost of a Mac Pro you're really just buying a non-portable macbook pro anyway.

12. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

I've got a macPro at home with 2 x 24" monitors @ 1920 x 1280 but I spend more time using my 13" black macBook (2007 vintage) in the office or when out and about. Since I'm usually close to a power source I tend to run plugged-in most of the time but the better battery life of the current generation laptops would be nice!

The smaller screen space is challenging and I'm looking to get a MBP 17" when the next hardware refresh occurs next year. The 13" screen is fine for normal email and surfing, but I had to buy a Logitech MX Revolution as I cant get comfortable with the built in trackpad. Probably not an issue for most people!

If you think you can live with the lower resolution while mobile, then get the 13" MBP and an iMac for home if you can afford it. I had a couple of Mini's when they first came out and they were nice, low end boxes but the current iMac's are just really nice all in one systems. As to whether you buy now or wait for the hardware refresh, I'd say wait and make the descision as to current vs new when the new ones are released and you see the discounts you can get on the current generation systems.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

13. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

+1 i used a 13" macbook for about a year and i hated using it away from my desk w/external monitor.

I recently switched to the 15" and i use it a lot more as a portable, and honestly i dont notice the increase in weight/size as much as i thought i would.

just go to a store if you can and check out the models in person. it will help you get a sense of how big and heavy these machines are.

14. creon macrumors 6502

An idea for you could be you MBP with the LED Display that couples your MBP and creates it into an iMac. The crazy thing about that though, is the price. Better off getting an iMac.

**I saw a refurb on the apple site for 899.00 USD. A terrific deal.**

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

If you buy a MBP, I'd wait until the new line in the next few months, probably late january.

16. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i just dont know how my netbook will hold up to the rigor of my school work. My quarter starts Jan 4th. I guess i will wait and see what they have in store for the new MBP,

Question, when the new MBP are released, will they discount the current model?

17. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The current MBP will not be available from Apple when the new ones are released, with exception to those sold in the Refurbished Mac (and clearance) section, which probably will be discounted by 10-20%.

18. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyones help. Although it seems that the MAcBook Pro and iMAc is my ideal setup, it is redundant and pricey, for essentially the same thing (except the iMac display). I think i will shop around for a nice 24-27 inch monitor, and get a 13 inch macbook pro. I checked out the 15, and tho the resolution was more to my liking, it was a little bigger than I would like to take to school

I also decided to wait until Jan to see if there is a refresh coming out for the MBP. At that time I will decide to either buy the newer ones, or the current model depending on how deeply they will discount the current model. A 50 dollar discount will not cut it. Also, if there are new "COOL" features on the newer ones that I deem is worth the price difference I will get the newer ones.

It is frustrating wanting to buy something without knowing what your going to get, but I do know that if I do wait I will be happier in the long run. I really want one now tho lol... it was soo hard for me not to buy it when I was in the store.

So any suggestions on where to buy a monitor? Any monitors less than 500 with a glass screen like the imacs?

thanks guys!

19. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

An update is definitely coming, unless some major problem has occurred. Unlikely, it's a matter of when, and you can be pretty sure it will be in January.

20. Vyruz Reaper thread starter macrumors regular

i agree with you. I think its going to be a refresh of internals, maybe some ports, but it pretty much is going to look the same. Im really hoping for quads as is everyone else

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah I think some new graphics cards would be nice, and a Core i5 or i7 processor (optional), plus faster RAM, 1333MHz would be nice.

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

How about waiting for the 2010 Mac Pro which (hopefully) comes with the new Gulftown processors?

23. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd get the new Mac Pro's when they come out (expensive, ~5000+ no doubt), otherwise the 27" Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HD w/ AppleCare (~2500).
    The screen resolution is huge, 2560x1440, 8 Logical Cores, Big HD, and a nice ATI Radeon 4850 512MB.

24. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Got The New 21.5" iMac Yesterday, My First Mac ever.

This is an amazing computer, It is so fast and still is fast with all the applications you will get.

I watched a DVD on it before, tbh its better than my tv.

i Reccommend it to you!
    +Has better Specs Than the MBP:p

Thanks man.