Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Hello, this is only a small problem if is someone else's, but if the problem is your own, it is very perplexing. I bought a memory upgrade for an ancient (early 2009) 24-inch iMac. When the modules arrived, I hurried upstairs and put the Mac on a working surface. Now, over the years, I have collected an array of screwdrivers both large and small, and was confident that I would be able to remove the screw that holds the memory "grating" in place. But no! — I could not find any screwdriver that would fit (or, being twisted, whether it was the correct one or not), would turn that little screw!

On the Web, I saw numerous pages (including at least one page of Apple's) that tell and show one what to do. However, all that I saw just referred to "a screwdriver".

So my question is, can anyone tell me, with certainty, which kind of screwdriver and which size, will fit? As soon as I can find out, I shall order one.

With thanks in advance, to anyone that can advise me.
C.H.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hello, this is only a small problem if is someone else's, but if the problem is your own, it is very perplexing. I bought a memory upgrade for an ancient (early 2009) 24-inch iMac. When the modules arrived, I hurried upstairs and put the Mac on a working surface. Now, over the years, I have collected an array of screwdrivers both large and small, and was confident that I would be able to remove the screw that holds the memory "grating" in place. But no! — I could not find any screwdriver that would fit (or, being twisted, whether it was the correct one or not), would turn that little screw!

On the Web, I saw numerous pages (including at least one page of Apple's) that tell and show one what to do. However, all that I saw just referred to "a screwdriver".

So my question is, can anyone tell me, with certainty, which kind of screwdriver and which size, will fit? As soon as I can find out, I shall order one.

With thanks in advance, to anyone that can advise me.
C.H.

I am 100% certain that it's a Phillips head screw... I'd start with a #2 Phillips head screwdriver.

IMG_1984.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.