HomePod Which UK Radio stations can you play on your HomePod?

SpiersyG

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Yes, seen the issue with LBC reported elsewhere now. Been like that for sometime - the issue does appear to be with LBC and possibly the whole Global group, don’t know for sure as I don’t listen to any of their other stations - only my fix of Brexit Radio (LBC).
Same re Brexit radio. The silence is probably a better way to go...

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
Does anyone have an updated list of what works, what doesn’t and the specific commands needed?

I’m pretty fed up with it tbh. Literally no radiostation that I listen to works now. None of the BBC stations, LBC conks out after a few minutes, even good old talksport (which used to be a simple “hey Siri play talksport”, no longer works after 13.2.1.
Absolute Radio gets me some soul station a continent away.

It’s pitiful Apple, it really is.

Reactions: Compile 'em all

Stackin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
UK
I’m having similar problems. Since updating to 13.2.1, loads of stations previously available are not working. I was listening to Heart radio and Capital Radio and these seem to be unknown to Siri on my HomePod now.

I have tried quite a few other common UK stations and most no longer work. This is really poor.

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I have the same problem, non of my previous commands work. I get the same “I can’t create a station” ********.
Only stations I can now get are through the bbc sounds app using Siri shortcuts.

adamda30

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
yep me too - was working and then they release an updated to the iPhone and my HomePod stops being able to play virgin radio - looks like they've broken the intone links?!!

Stackin

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2019
UK
I think I’ve just found the solution! It seems to be linked to the “Recognise my voice” option introduced in 13.2. I’ve just turned this off and two stations that didnt work 5 minutes ago are now working.

To disable “Recognise my voice”, go into the home app, touch the House symbol (top left). Next click your face icon in the ”People” section. You will now to able to turn off the “Recognise my voice” option. However, this will mean that others may be able to ask your HomePod for personal information such as calendar requests, if you have that enabled.

Reactions: Sype10

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I’ve yet to get the ‘recognise my voice’ option to work properly. Once that is running as it should, my understanding is you will be able to use it to trigger Shortcuts. And since Shortcuts are the only currently supported way of getting BBC Sounds on your HomePod this is a bit of a circular problem at the moment!

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I’ve yet to get the ‘recognise my voice’ option to work properly. Once that is running as it should, my understanding is you will be able to use it to trigger Shortcuts. And since Shortcuts are the only currently supported way of getting BBC Sounds on your HomePod this is a bit of a circular problem at the moment!
I've come across this problem. I was just about to go out to catch a bus and asked Siri when the next bus was (set in CityMapper Shortcuts) and Siri replied that it couldn't tell me as I need to set up voice recognition. What! It used to work just fine. I don't particularly want to use voice recognition as then no-one else will be able to ask when the next bus is as it's not my voice.

I have limited use for Siri as I consider it to be more trouble than it's worth, and now it even worse. Why have Apple made using Siri so hard?

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
It used to work just fine
My experience was that asking for a Shortcut via my HomePod would run it on my iPhone and then route the output to the HomePod that received the request. If my iPhone was not home (e.g. if my wife was trying to use the facility whilst I was out) then she would simply get an error that Siri couldn’t do it at that time (can’t remember the specific phrase, sorry).

Was you experience different? Could other people use the Shortcuts whilst you were out of the house? What do you use as your ‘home’ device? ATV, HomePod or iPad?

Apologies for the flurry of questions!

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Was you experience different? Could other people use the Shortcuts whilst you were out of the house? What do you use as your ‘home’ device? ATV, HomePod or iPad?
No, no different. Only worked when I was in the house with my iPhone. But, my wife could ask if she was the one going out and would get a reply. Not any more.

I have an ATV and 2 HomePods, which one is the hub varies - currently the right HomePod.

Reactions: danmart

Sype10

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
So if I disable Recognise my voice, I get my old stations back. But I have to have it enabled to trigger bbc channels via the sounds app.
What a mess.

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
So, out of the blue this has started working for us at home! Siri now responds to myself and my wife by name when we ask her to do actions classed as ‘personal requests’. I haven’t taken any specific actions to shake this through, it just seemed to take some time to work through...

I’ve created a Shortcut that plays BBC Radio 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 (using BBC Sounds app) when you pick from a list...

Reactions: Sype10

markl9

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
London, UK
Thanks for the shortcut, works a treat as do my other BBC Sounds shortcuts which I'd give up trying on the HomePod until I saw your post.

Planky

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
So, out of the blue this has started working for us at home! Siri now responds to myself and my wife by name when we ask her to do actions classed as ‘personal requests’. I haven’t taken any specific actions to shake this through, it just seemed to take some time to work through...

I’ve created a Shortcut that plays BBC Radio 1 / 2 / 4 / 6 (using BBC Sounds app) when you pick from a list...

Thanks for this!
I just added an action to Airplay it to the HomePod and it works perfectly.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2012
I’ve been able to listen to Radio Norwich since the update to HomeOS 13, but now am unable to. Still accessible directly through TuneIn, but not through HomePod or any other Apple device through Music...
Annoying.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
I’ve given up now I’m afraid. I literally can’t get any station to play natively on the HomePod irrespective of how I phrase it. It’s a joke.

I AirPlay from the Radioplayer app on my iPhone. Much less bother...

Moakesy

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I’ve given up now I’m afraid. I literally can’t get any station to play natively on the HomePod irrespective of how I phrase it. It’s a joke.

I AirPlay from the Radioplayer app on my iPhone. Much less bother...
Like you, I’d given up, but decided to have one last try. It appears to now work... did the following

7E9828C2-AB92-4FE1-9003-9F339D9C3D7C.png

CamiMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2012
I’ve been able to listen to Radio Norwich since the update to HomeOS 13, but now am unable to. Still accessible directly through TuneIn, but not through HomePod or any other Apple device through Music...
Annoying.
Working again today, go figure...