Carrier Which unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ron7624, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have used Att forever. That is not going to change. Every 2 years I get 3 subdized phones for my family and myself.
    However, I'm thinking about getting one phone, unlocked at full price for myself. There have been times when I thought I'd like to jump to Verizon because of the reception in my closed off upstairs office, ATT works at 2 bars up there, but verizon has 5.
    So, even though I'm going to continue to use Att for now, should I order it as a verizon model? Wouldn't that give me the capability of using any carrier? Is there any drawback or reason not to do this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say stick with ATT you seem happy with them. 2 bars isn't bad, in that you'll still get phone calls and its only one area. If you were not getting good coverage in a number of areas or were unhappy with ATT then perhaps consider jumping.

Just my $.02.

3. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

I guess I got too wordy. That was not my question. I'm wondering if the Verizon model that is both CDMA and gsm would work as well on the ATT network.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, because the latest iPhone models support GSM and LTE (from VZW). Pre iPhone 5s only had LTE and if you went down to 3G, it was CDMA only.

5. ron7624 thread starter Contributor

ron7624

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

BUT just maybe this time around they will make the sprint model unlocked for the big four as well . Even more perfect would be if all US models would be the exact same and in some instances (Att) just need to be unlocked