Which VP was the biggest "mistake?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jul 30, 2012.

?

Worst recent VP selection?

1. Quayle

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Cheney (or GWB if you believe the rumors)

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Edwards

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Liebermann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Palin

29 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Mr. Cheney decided to weigh in on Ms. Palin.

His comments made me wonder who was the biggest mistake for the VP in recent history?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

McCain has now responded to Cheney's VP-choice criticism. And I thought I was sarcastic.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The poll is kinda short is it not? Surely there have been some doozies over the past 40 years.

5. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

In retrospect, I think Edwards was a far worse choice than Palin. I don't think Palin would have been any worse than Quayle as VP. Granted, that's not saying much.

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I chose not to include Al Gore or George H.W. Bush because they both seemed capable of being president, and in fact, the public agreed. Both either won, or well, won the election to become president. Lloyd Bentson was a pretty strong candidate, as was Geraldine Ferraro. Other than that, Mondale might have been added to the list, but I didn't want to go that far back.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What about Biden? And The Admiral.:D

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I thought some might insist Biden should be on there, but aside from some gaffes, he's been a pretty strong VP.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Palin. Every time I hear her speak I just think to myself, "wow, I sure hope my kids don't grow up to be anything like here".

10. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Vice President has two main roles. Tie-breaker in the Senate (yawn) and take over if the president dies. So let's assume the president is going to die. Who is the last person on that list that you would want to be President of the United States?

If you don't say Sarah Palin, I don't know what is wrong with you.

11. 184550 Guest

Palin.

There was a pretty good article in GQ on the vetting process for VPs.

I didn't know Carter started what is now recognized as the standard for vetting VP prospects.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

To anwser the title of this thread: Andrew Johnson.

13. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Spiro Agnew, the 39th Vice President of the United States (1969–1973), serving under President "Dick" Nixon, certainly desires to be on the list.

Agnew was the only Vice President in United States history to resign because of criminal charges. If ol' Spiro had not resigned he'd have ended up becoming the president after Nixon's fall from grace, so I guess things could have been worse...

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Dick 'I shoot my friends in the face' Cheney.

As much as disliked GWB the thought of VP Cheney becoming President made me fear for the whole world.:(

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I totally get that point of view, but I think that someone incompetent and inept is way more dangerous then evil. Time for a graphic which says it best...

16. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Keep in mind the Cheney option in the poll includes both. Cheney was evil in his manipulating of the stupid and inept.

(edit) By the way, Agnew and Johnson aren't exactly recent history. I think the majority here don't remember the Nixon or Ford administrations.

17. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Palin

While I am not a fan of Biden, Cheney, or Quayle, they have experience and know their way around Washington. I may not always agree with them, but I do know they can get something done if pushed.

Palin, on the other hand, ranks city council (in a small city, too) as her major political experience at the time in 2008. It was the worst move for a potential "name" candidate like McCain, but McCain was doomed anyway coming into 2008 after eight years of GWB's policies. No republican could have won that year.

Unfortunately, the GOP does stand a chance, and it can hinge on what people think about Romney's VP choice. Every factor will matter because this election will be a lot closer. The Republicans will easily get back Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia, and can pose a threat in Ohio and Pennsylvania and if they get the latter, almost with little regard to the others, probably safe "red" states, then they will win. While Romney is a former Massachusetts governor and a lifelong resident of Michigan, his power base will be in an around Utah and states that are resoundingly religious in the midwest and south. If he grabs a well respected east coast moderate, then he will probably win in 2012. If he goes with a red state religious warrior, where he doesn't need any help, he will lose big on east coast, west coast, and great lakes and thus lose the election by a landslide. Everything can be on the GOP's VP candidate.

18. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Who was allowed to do the most damage to the country? Cheney. Fortunately Palin was never allowed to get her hands on anything important. ;)

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

20. 63dot, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

While I can't stand right wing talk radio, it is sometimes entertaining. But when the crazies start toting Jeb Bush as a possible VP to Romney, that could come up as worse than Palin (or at least as bad). It's not anything specific about Jeb that I have an issue with. Unlike a country with a ruling King/Queen, leadership of a nation is not inherited and until our country has a major shift in thinking (neither good nor bad but different), we don't have a ruling monarchy.

Could having certain elite families, generation after generation, being on the top rungs of politics be a good thing? I don't know but on every GOP ticket since 1952 up through 2004 excluding Goldwater/Miller, there has either been a Nixon, Dole, or Bush name which is 13 out of 14 elections! Having another Bush on the ticket would be a good enough reason to call the republicans the monarchy party.

52: Eisenhower/Nixon
    56: Eisenhower/Nixon
    60: Nixon/Lodge
    64: Goldwater/Miller
    68: Nixon/Agnew
    72: Nixon/Agnew
    76: Ford/Dole
    80: Reagan/Bush
    84: Reagan/Bush
    88: Bush/Quayle
    92: Bush/Quayle
    96: Dole/Kemp
    00: Bush/Cheney
    04: Bush/Cheney

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I agree with what you say but you are looking only at GOP candidates. One of the most famous political families is Kennedys...I'd say them and the Bushs are the most well-known. Political families are quite common which goes along with the general findings that power is concentrated and those with it work to maintain their circle of influence. If you look at many politicians, you will notice they have strong business ties with certain industries. For example, the Bush family has longstanding ties of 3 generations with the pharmaceutical and petrol industries. Some people see these ties as conflicts of interests...and often I have to agree.