Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2010
I know you are thinking it's a silly, stupid question, but it's a valid one. I suppose if you were watching a video on it, you would place it on its side. But what about if you're listening to music? With the revolutionary, groundbreaking and innovative relocation of the headphone jack, this forces you to place your iPhone upside down so the headphones are now coming out of the 'top' of the device. Only problem is, the auto-rotate does not go 360 degrees, so your content remains upside down on the screen.

Did anyone at Apple think this through and actually field test the device in these kinds of situations?

FallenRook

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
So, I'm guessing the equipment at your gym doesn't have the devices that grab the phone by the side. In that case you can just set it to a certain playlist and put it on its side.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2010
So, I'm guessing the equipment at your gym doesn't have the devices that grab the phone by the side. In that case you can just set it to a certain playlist and put it on its side.

Nah, most of the machines have a sort-of small rail, or shelf on which to place iPods, phones, etc. It can even hold an iPad, which I see many people doing.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Bluetooth headphones and I set it on the flat surface of the treadmill head. If I watch a movie, then on its side on the magazine holder - still Bluetooth. I don't think I've used normal headphones in 5 or 6 years.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
My 3rd Gen Nano is still hanging on, so I use that at the gym. If or when that dies, I will use my 5 or whichever iPhone I have at the time.

I mostly see other people lay their iPhones/iPads on their back and listen to music or watch movies or read that way.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Side. Listen to Music or Watch Videos.

It's not an issue. As for the groundbreaking move Apple did, it makes sense when it's mounted on my dash. The cord doesn't get in the way.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Sarcasm aside, how does the new placement of the HP jack FORCE you to put it jack up? You can just as easily put it up jack down and still use it with 100% functionality with a slight tilt. Not sure why it's an issue for you. OR invest in some BT headphones and it won't be an issue.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
They did the same thing to the iPod as few years ago, I guess history repeats and somebody should compile the answers what people did back then.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2010
Sarcasm aside, how does the new placement of the HP jack FORCE you to put it jack up? You can just as easily put it up jack down and still use it with 100% functionality with a slight tilt. Not sure why it's an issue for you. OR invest in some BT headphones and it won't be an issue.

I explained in the post that with the jack on the bottom, the device can not be placed right side up with a headphone plugged into it. Can't. Impossible. If one puts it "up jack down" as you put it, everything on the screen is now upside down. The content on the screen does not rotate 180 degrees to where the home button is now on top.

Of course using bluetooth headphones would alleviate this issue but it's not too much to ask for the device to have this simplistic, basic function without having to shell out another $300.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I know you are thinking it's a silly, stupid question, but it's a valid one. I suppose if you were watching a video on it, you would place it on its side. But what about if you're listening to music? With the revolutionary, groundbreaking and innovative relocation of the headphone jack, this forces you to place your iPhone upside down so the headphones are now coming out of the 'top' of the device. Only problem is, the auto-rotate does not go 360 degrees, so your content remains upside down on the screen.

Did anyone at Apple think this through and actually field test the device in these kinds of situations?
Depends... at the Y I put it in the cup holder and watch my "progress" on nike+ sideways.
At work I was putting it on a little (LITTLE) ledge, sideways. Granted, the day before I got the Ip5 my ip4s flew OFF that little ledge, and then of course, off the treadmill and across the room. Thank you OTTERBOX.
Now it's in the cup holder there too.
It IS less convenient with the new positioning AT THE GYM. In the car it's more convenient.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Of course using bluetooth headphones would alleviate this issue but it's not too much to ask for the device to have this simplistic, basic function without having to shell out another $300.

That was my point, why cant you simply sit it so the headphone jack is pointing down? The phone will tilt but so what. IF that's an issues put something under the R side to even it out.

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
That was my point, why cant you simply sit it so the headphone jack is pointing down? The phone will tilt but so what. IF that's an issues put something under the R side to even it out.

Tilt, fall over, fall off the treadmill on the floor, smash... Great idea

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.