Which way is cheaper, 2 yr contract or paying monthly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Diesel350, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Diesel350 macrumors newbie

So now that we know prices I'm trying to convince my wife that going with a NEXT Plan and paying monthly is the cheaper route. Thoughts?

2. verseafterverse macrumors member

I bought my virgin mobile iphone for about 600 and pay 35 a month with no contract its worth it if you can tolerate virgins network I my self have no problem with it although there android phones are garbage from experience.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It depends on your plan particulars. For me, with my family of 4, my monthly payment dropped $100/month when I switched us over to NEXT. Haven't bought any new phones yet. I'd check with AT&T and see which one would be best for you.

4. Diesel350 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just calculated it and it seems that the 2 yr route is cheaper by like $50. Anyone else getting that?

5. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

Hasn't it been universally proven by now the NEXT plans are a huge ripoff? You are paying for both the device subsidy + the price into the plan itself. And after it's all said and done you don't actually get to keep the phone you paid for.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Dude, I've tried to explain that! I give up. Nobody gets are cares about that. They all say "but what if I don't plan to trade it in".... I give up explaining to people why all of those plans suck.

7. Diesel350 thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? Pretty sure if you pay all the installment payments after 12/18 months you get to keep the phone. Not seeing anywhere that after you make all payments you are returning the phone.

8. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

You've probably had trouble explaining it because it's wrong.

If you're on NEXT or out-of-contract, you get $15 or $25/month off your mobile share plans (per line), depending on how much shared data you've selected (>=10GB gets $25). You CAN upgrade every year, but if you make your 20 or 24 monthly payments you keep the phone. If you trade in a 12 months, they use the residual value of your phone to pay off the rest of what you owe.

It's not that bad, especially if you're already on a mobile share plan.

For my setup, it looks to be a bit cheaper (~$70) to buy two 6s outright and take the $25 discount per line.

9. 617aircav Suspended

He still has the initial NEXT plan in mind before they changed their plans. The initial next plan was a definite rip off.

10. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Isn't it the same? Speaking from T-Mobile perspective

Don't I just pay a monthly fee of like $30/month and then when the iPhone 6s comes out, I trade the 6 in and continue making payments for the 6s? Rinse and repeat...

Or am I missing something here?

11. sqa4life macrumors regular

I like your explanation. However, how could you calculate the "buy outright" price? they didn't announce the non-contract price for any iPhone 6 :)

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Before the store went back down, they had no contract pricing quoted for T-Mobile. It indicated the subsidized price is $450 less than the retail price. A hefty subsidy, to be sure, but over 2 years that's only $18.75. If you're on mobile share with >10GB, there's the potential to save money off-contract (or with NEXT) by taking advantage of that $25/line/month discount.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

We currently get the $25 per line per month discount so Next is cheaper for us.

iPhone 6 Plus 64GB

2-year contract
    $399 + $25*24 = $999 (waived upgrade fee)

Next 12
    $42.50*$20 = $850