While Americans suffer in Puerto Rico & USVI, Trump talks smack about the NFL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's whatever. I'm a fan of their, well, not theirs but what they sell, that almond ring from Wisconsin? That's delicious, but it sells out. It's a fraction of what the company charges. I also do not have the patience to try and make it. I've made apple pie using apples from our yard. I've never been a fan. I like my apples fresh. :p

2. Solomani, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Yep, even the act of electing a Reality TV Dipstick (Donald Trump) was in itself a "protest vote" to voice anger against the DC establishment.

In the end, I say let the athletes protest as they like. It won't affect the game, won't affect the sport. And as many analysts have already said over and over and over: it won't drive away the sponsors, and it won't diminish the profitability of The Sport.

If YOU Trump-lovers don't agree with these athletes protesting, then you are free to counter-protest by refraining from their games. Don't watch their games, don't attend their games. And please shut off your cable TV account too, you hypocrites, because we all know that the majority of American men only pay for cable TV because of the sports channels.

3. Zenithal macrumors G3

Yes, screw the elitist pigs. Let's bring in a born wealthy guy and make him POTUS. Surely he knows what it's like to be poor! It's on the same level of Romney's statements of how and his wife had money problems after shacking up, so he sold some of his stock... o_O

The things I'd do for a Romney presidency now. I mean, candidate Romney was so wrong. Nice guy in real life, though.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8 years of Romney would have in many ways been good.

However it wouldn’t have given the elite the kick up the arse Trump did - despite Trumps wealth.

5. niploteksi macrumors regular

Which elite? Corporate America? Maybe Trump is kicking up everyones's arse, both high and low.

On a side note, I love reading these threads, even if I can't be bothered to read every post. It's hilarious seeing paid or unpaid Trump supporters scramble to his defense.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They are free to protest after the game that viewers pay them millions of dollars to play. These guys are employees.

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And their bosses gave their approval.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

9. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

I don't remember showing any compassion for the people of TX and FL. But I guess those two states voted for Donnie so to hell with them, right?

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

11. citizenzen, Sep 24, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Source please.

Please provide proof that “the Left” called for Tebow’s firing because he knelt for God.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Doesn’t a family going to an NFL game cost the better part of $1000?

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Comments like this are always peddled by Republican Party malcontents. I never understood why that lot and their apologists try to turn every human tragedy into a political sport. Republicans are and never will be for the human race and your pole bearing president is the poster child for a typical Republican.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Bishop Sankey. Minnesota Vikings running back.

Yes.

What have we come to? What a sad pass we have arrived at when we have to look to professional athletes to be the voices of decency, wisdom, and justice in our national conversation.

What is wrong with Trump and his deluded supporters that they can find any value whatsoever in demonizing people for standing up for the rights of other people? Are white Republicans in Alabama really still so hateful that they would cheer a call for someone to be fired for silently and peacefully standing up for the rights of his fellow citizens?

I guess they are. Shame, shame, shame upon them.

15. Fancuku macrumors 65816

Fancuku

It doesn't take much to trigger you, does it?

16. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

This isn’t about me. My life isn’t in PR where everybody’s life is destroyed.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I see a lot of triggered people in PRSI.

In fact, every poster is triggered.

The really calm people, the coolest heads, the most rational minds, won’t be found here.

PRSI is a playground for the triggered, and we are all enjoying the ride.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’ve explained the difference between a public school and a business. Students in public schools is not analogous to employees in a business.

The discussion is not about making the recitation of a pledge compulsory. You keep making that implication, not me. It’s about employee conduct in the workplace. Now keep that sentence in mind.

Yes, of course it’s my opinion. Our discussion has been premised on what I’d do as Commissioner and what the NFL could do if they wish. A business is entitled to require and prohibit certain workplace conduct. I’d prohibit employees (players, coaches, etc) from making personal protests and promotions in the workplace.

As I’ve said before, of course an employee can challenge workplace discipline. Your 99% certainty the courts would take issue is rubbish. I don’t think the courts would have any issue with those workplace rules. (See my final paragraph below of examples of conduct the NFL currently prohibits in the workplace.) As a reminder: Employers have the right to restrict workplace behavior. They do it in every workplace in America today. Prohibiting personal protests and promotions in the workplace isn’t a stretch at all.

The NFL can put restrictions on broadcasters very easily. A station that does not want to agree can make that business decision. Realistically, I doubt there would be any contention.

I’m not sure what to say about this. It has no relevance to our discussion.

And here you are back to comparing apples to oranges again with a pinch of straw-man to boot.

Zenithal, I’ll sum it up right here so it’s easy.

An employer may restrict employee conduct in the workplace.
    The NFL is the employer.
    The players are employees.
    The games are the workplace.

As Comissioner I said I’d prohibit personal protests and personal promtions in the workplace. I’d enforce violations with fines and escalating discipline.

Now kindly restrict yourself to those points. The NFL does not have to be consistent with a public school nor does a public or private school need to be consistent with a business. And private business do not need to have the same rules of conduct as other businesses.

The NFL already restricts and fines the players conduct on the field right now.

For example: Excessive swearing, fighting, unnecessarily entering an area where a fight is happening, unauthorized commercial promotions, and gang signing. Adding a prohibition to personal protests in the workplace is not a significant change.

19. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

They’re not the employees of the public. Who says they have to tow your line of what you personally think is right?

It it, however, a great example of MAGA. Tow the line, fit in, don’t make a scene, turn a blind eye to the problems others are facing or, if you are facing such a problem, keep your mouth shut and know your place so those living the American dream don’t have to be bothered.

There’s nothing wrong with the pledge or national anthem in general, but in many cases, it’s phony and superficial patriotism.

20. MachCrit, Sep 24, 2017

MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

NFL players kneeling is very weird. You have players that have contracts worth over a 100 million dollars, in an occupation that is dominated by African Americans (so much so that if it were the other way around, it would be a national scandal), kneeling to protest discrimination?

For those who were around in the 1960's, this seems a little late to the party.

These same players, after some squander their ridiculous salaries on cribs and cars that they didn't know they couldn't afford, will be suing the NFL for CTE and whatever else they can think of to grab enough cash to survive.

For a number or reasons, including the massive changes coming to broadcast and cable TV, the whole league is about to come crashing down, which is fine by me.

Get the salaries to a reasonable level that fans can relate to, and perhaps we can talk.

Trump is simply playing the public on the matter, garnering more attention, making the players react so he can firm up his base even more.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The liberal elite, the media elite, the political elite, the education elite.

For example in Oxford, home to the university of the political establishment there are some of the most deprived areas in the U.K. - https://www.oxford.gov.uk/info/20131/population/497/poverty_and_deprivation - this is not OK in 2017.

While probably the top 10% of the UK population lives literally like kings large proportions of ordinary working people cannot afford to pay to meet a minimum standard of living. That’s not OK in 2017. In America those people have had stagnant wages going back fifty years and no one has talked about it. That’s not OK.

22. niploteksi macrumors regular

The very people who make up the backbone of a country. Yes, Trump do kick those people through Twitter, ouch! I guess in a way you could also argue he's draining the swamp, since he's dismantling the Department of State :)

Meanwhile he's feeding the military industri, dismantling alliances and deregulates the labor market. Who's he really kicking?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They tow the line of their employer, when 30%+ of their viewership tunes out because they are making useless gestures that's probably going to affect their bottom line.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Trump hasn’t done **** all to benefit ordinary people personally.

The point is that the rest of the elite have actually started listening and stopped ignoring ordinary people.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    Source.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Nope, 2017, still an unemployed bum: http://www.npr.org/2017/08/09/54246...quarterback-colin-kaepernick-remains-unsigned
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    I posted the article less than a post ago.