Whille we wait for the iphone 5, let check out our WP7, NEW are WP7 sexy phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cali4ever, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

"this video has been removed by the user"...

I liked the look of the N9 alot, can't wait to see what the WP7 version of it looks like :)

that is... after I get an iPhone 5 ;)

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

WP7 is just getting better from everything I read and see, this time next year I really do think and even expect it to be huge and right aside iOS and Android.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I love WP7 (I've always loved the Zune UI as well) - the OS has the fluidity of iOS, along with a few other pros. However, what it doesn't have is the app market, which I hope changes if they gain more market share with Nokia.

5. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded from a motorola droid to a WP7. When I became eligible for an upgrade I played with every top android phone at the verizon store and wasn't that impress after playing with my wife's iphone. I was going to wait for the new iphone, but I read some reviews and watched some videos on WP7 so I decided to try it out. I figured if I didn't like it I could return it and wait for the iphone. I've been very impressed with this phone. I really think it's smoother than my wife's iphone. It's head and shoulders above my droid. The display and camera aren't near as good as the iphone, but neither was my droid's. Battery life is a good bit better than my droid. I think this os is going to do well once the mango update comes out and as more apps become available.

6. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Whereas I loath the UI, with a vengeance. To me it looks like a cross between a Fisher-Price first phone for babies and something designed for your partially sighted grandmother! :eek:

I guess it's like Marmite, you either love it or hate it... Though the sales figures suggest few love it (though being Microsoft, I wouldn't bet on it going away any time soon).

7. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Everybody likes WP7, everybody praises WP7, no one buys WP7.

8. Millionin20s macrumors regular

And this is what happens when you wait too long to jump back into the marketplace with vastly improved products. Just ask Palm.... wait, you can't, they don't exist anymore.

9. JetBlack7, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2011

JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I Lol'ed. So true ^^

That was exactly my thoughts when reading your post, I thought of Palm right away, but you beat me to it.

Windows waited too long, the battle for handsets started long ago, and Windows waited too long to come up with something competition worthy.

10. Keshaa macrumors newbie

WP7 is surely gearing up !! By the next year I am sure it would stand tall agains iOS and Android

11. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yeah, let's all discuss how good WP7 phones are while we wait for the next iPhone... :rolleyes:

12. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for AT&T, but at Verizon WP7 has a tough road ahead of it. When I asked to see a WP7 the guy I was dealing with said he didn't think they had ever sold one. They really push android and iphone, but that's understandable considering how popular both platforms are.

13. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Will be sad if iOS and android are the only competitors. QNX, webOS and Meego would make for a very interesting addition. One can hope :p

14. yourmother macrumors regular

I agree that Windows phone is off to a slow start and while I loved Palm, Microsoft and Palm are two different creatures. When Palm debuted Webos they were hemorrhaging money and mobile devices were all they made.

Microsoft has a ridiculous amount of cash on hand and lots of other profitable businesses. They are committed to the phone business and willing to spend the money to compete. It could be the next Zune for all I know but they will put up a heck of a fight.

Honestly I think Nokia is much similar to Palm. If WP7 doesn't catch, stick a fork in 'em, they're done.

15. yourmother macrumors regular

man now that I think about it. Nokia should have bought Palm. Nokia hardware with Palm software = yes

Palm was the company that got me into technology so its so sad to see Palm with HP. I don't even know if HP has even released a WebOS phone since they bought Palm.

Anyway I need to get my hands on WP7 phone to really see what its like. Come on Fujitsu IS12T

16. Muro macrumors 6502

Since when are handsets besides the iPhone mocked-up or being faked? Although I think Nokia "the fallen brand" has come back with a better looking device then the Samsung Galaxy and therefor I hope they will succeed with joining the smartphonegame but I'm not that eager interrested or psyched up to know what there next handset will be going to look like by staring at fakes. Only the iPhone still posseses that greed factor.

17. USCfootball, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

USCfootball macrumors newbie

Just got my iphone 2 days ago and love it But, i just came back from a WP7 Mango training event and all I have to say is WOW! This OS is very very Fluid. I mean iphone fluid maybe even more fluid than iOS. I wish MS would have released this 2 years ago before Android infested the market with a bunch of low cost BOGO free phone and I wish MS would have released this 2 years ago before Android infested the market with a a bunch of prepaid phones. All this low cost headsets only drives up Android market share numbers though......................

----------

Also KUDOS to Microsoft for innovating a new unique OS and resetting the bar as opposed to copying apple like android did!

NOW i see android is copying WP7 MetroOS's Live Tile System

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/07/13/new-android-market-windows-phone-7-pivots-swipes-and-tiles/

Apple and MS need to finish off android for good!

----------

ALso KUDOS to Microsoft for innovating a new unique OS and re setting the bar as opposed to copying apple like android did!

NOW i see android is copying WP7 MetroOS's Live Tile System

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/07/13/new-android-market-windows-phone-7-pivots-swipes-and-tiles/

Apple and MS need to finish off android for good!

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't like the UI either.

19. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

You nailed it!
    As a developer, I actually dont like WP7, despite great tools from M$.
    Also, infrastructure, AKA app store, is also important. A lot of developers are leaving WP7 market due one reason or another.... No matter what the media says, WP7 may have decent phones, but the WP7 OS requirements are so high, it runs smooth only because they throw powerful chips at it...

In fact, my fav OS is webOS, it has the best internals, but it's slowly going south...

20. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

Nokia + Palm would have been a better marriage between hardware and software.

Palm's webOS was like Sega with their Dreamcast. They were hemorrhaging money, but still went out with a blaze of glory. Nobility. It will have its own cult following, but like Mac users, reduced to niche market of awesomeness. WebOS' biggest weaknesses is hardware and lack of apps. Their homebrew community are passionate people and helpful. You need to be fairly technical to understand some of their posts. Like Android, how they speak can be very geeky.

HP has released a webOS phone. The HP Veer. And the Pre 3 will have HP in front of it.

Since when is destroying Android a good thing? We need competition and choices.

And Android can be very customizable. The HTC HD2 from 2009 can dual boot both WP7 and Android.

Stock Android is ugly or boring, but you can make it pretty if you want to. Windows is uglier than Mac OS and Microsoft is guilty of ripping off Apple, but it doesn't stop people from using Windows. Besides, Windows 7 doesn't look that bad at all. You need to put the work into it. There is a thread in this forum showing off Android wallpapers. There are YouTube vids showing a WP7 theme for Android.

In Japan....

INFOBAR Interface (Android phone taking cues from WP7)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S6NMH4ry-4

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Exactly. It is innovation from rival companies that force one to come up with something much better in order to outshine the competition.

About the HD2 comment you made: easily the best investment I've made in a phone. Since buying mine I have used WinMo 6.5, multiple versions of Froyo, a couple of versions of Gingerbread, and currently WP7. Even when I get my iPhone 5, I will be keeping around my HD2 to continue tinkering around with. It gives me a nice chance to try out different OS's.

23. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Actually WP7's requirements are quite low, it runs on an old architecture.

Android on the other hand, requires some incredible hardware to run as smooth as the first iPhone, and even then it's UI is not smooth or consistent

24. GameAmour.com macrumors member

GameAmour.com

I have completely opposite results from our lab... Android works fine on 300 MHz CPU (when the default Android walpaper with color bugs is disabled), where WP7 draws its default UI as a slideshow and has average framerate below 5. The .NET core and COM interfaces are what make WP7 slow, it also has its roots in Windows CE, the OS never ran fast. Android on the other hand benefits from its Linux roots.

Talking about old architecture - Android can run with 16 Mb of RAM and 200MHz CPU, WP7 needs atleast 256Mb of RAM and 800MHz.