Whip out iPad at bus stop? Why Not? Whip out Netbook at bus stop? Probably not.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sfmountainbiker, Feb 1, 2010.

1. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

While standing at the bus stop, I wondered; if I had an iPad right now, would I pull it out of my briefcase and use it? Most certainly!

Well I have a netbook, and I've never once even considered taking it to work in my briefcase for use during my commute. You simply couldn't use it while standing waiting for the bus.

I think this is the ultimate reason for the iPad's vertical design (so that it can be used "clipboard" style).

At least in this respect the iPad has beat the netbook hands down.

Just a thought....

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Thats exactly whats going to go down. lol

4. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

That's something I actually gave some thought to, like most things I think there is a time and a place for it. An airport lounge or train waiting room maybe, but in an English busstop begging to be mugged by a chav?? Not me.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

If that's the selling point to you or your justification for an iPad vs a netbook - more power to you.... I would hope there's more "to it" than being able to use it while you're waiting for your train/bus

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Think you need to change that fella my son is 14 and can be very chavvy. Would he mug someone. Not a chance he knows right from wrong.

7. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

I can see it going wrong to be honest,

I think i could use it on my morning commute to college, standing at the train station and whap it out in front of all the other commuters, (most of them at least 35 and dressed in suits, not a single smack head or chav) however on the way home, once the idiots have woken up, then itll be staying in my bag at the station.

:apple:Mike

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I won't be changing anything thanks.

9. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

no offence mate, but when i reffer to a chav, i refer to someone who wears tracksuit everything, baseball cap, shaven head etc, and throws rocks at cars, muggs people,
    I'm reffering to people with the attitude and the look, not just the look,

Sorry if i offend you...

10. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

You'd be fine if you were reading a book on it. They'd walk straight by.

11. sumzero macrumors member

sumzero

ya because everywhere that offers public transportation is just so crime-ridden

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

it is when your flashing expensive electronics around.

13. sumzero macrumors member

sumzero

I live near 2 different metro areas, and am currently attending school in a smaller one if i were to be playing on my ipad i would in no way be worried in any of these locations, i mean if your in the wrong part of Chicago or LA ya keep that **** sealed but for the most part there are more "good" people than criminals

14. lordhamster macrumors 6502

And getting back on track:

The biggest reason why I would whip out my iPad in situations I would not whip out a netbook is primarily load time. The damn netbook either has to be booted (min 30 seconds) or brought back from sleep (this eats batteries). Whereas the iPad is on instantly.

Furthermore, using a netbook mouse one-handed while trying to balance it in your arm is damn near impossible.

15. Lara F macrumors 6502a

If you have plenty of room, sure - but it'd be awkward in any crowded/standing situation, even the touch can be a pain compared to my old Palm TX with a D-pad...let alone a near 10 inch screen.

And as someone who had her 3G iPhone stolen on the subway I'd definitely be concerned - seems to me a larger screen could be grabbed easier from your hands.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

LOL! Nice way to summarize it - "once the idiots have woken up!"

17. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that wasn't the response I expected.

Do all of you really live in such dangerous places? I mean, I live in San Francisco...not the most hazardous city in the world, but hey it's still California. I don't worry about someone ripping me off on the street (but then I am 6'4"/230lbs...).

In any case, although yes it's a bit bigger and easier to grab, it's not any more valuable than an iPhone or a laptop (which I see people with on my commute all the time).

Or are you guys just trying to come up with silly excuses for why the iPad fails?This seems to corroborate my theory:

I'm not trying to "justify" a purchase...I wouldn't buy the Rev A iPad anyways(just as I wouldn't buy the Rev A iPhone or iPod Touch). Clearly there is "more to it" than just being able to use it at the bus stop, but that wasn't the intension of this thread. Does every thread need to be an exhaustive analysis of all the benefits (or lack thereof) of the iPad over the netbook? Or is there room on this message board for a thread that just highlights one of the apparent advantages that came to me on my way to work.

You guys are crazy, but I don't mean to mess with you (now knowing what neighborhoods you all come from). We're good right? Right? :rolleyes:

18. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Well they arent out fo bed beore 12 to get their Dole money.

And i live in Newcastle, the place where charves come from (charve (phoenetical and spelling not 'chav') and its rough as hell in places.

train station had thousnads of people every day, i go to college in the west end, the worst bit.

And im not saying the iPad has no benefits, honestly, i will be purcasing one in week 1, and its much better than a netbook, mainly because you need two hands and a desk to use it rather than 2 hands for the iPad, oh and the instant wake of the iPad, and battery.

It's a damn good device for what im going to use it for, entertainment and web use. And ill still use it everyday going to college

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yup, same reason i dont bust out my iphone in places like a bus stop

You are naive if you think the risk isn't greater

20. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Shoot I live in the suburbs people use to wait in parks for people with white ear buds on to walk by so they could hold them up and steal there ipod.

Your gonna be sitting there all by yourself with a big tablet with a giant apple logo?

I see the conversation starting out like this "hey I just got out of jail and I need some money for the bus"

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I totally knew this thread would somehow turn into mugging -> chavvy people.

Personally? I wouldn't risk it. Some ordinary person is the same ordinary person who nabs the thing from you and runs away.

Many people have been digitally affected by this...

22. sfmountainbiker thread starter macrumors regular

Paranoid much?

What does "digitally affected" mean?

Seriously...do you guys also avoid wearing watches, jewelry and leather goods as well? I hate to say it but you guys sound like a bunch of pussycats to me....

Besides, this argument makes no sense. You wouldn't use it at a bus stop because a "chav" (must be a UK term) will mug you? So this doesn't make it better than a netbook? I have to assume that if you wouldn't take out your iPad, that you wouldn't take out your netbook either, for the same reason.

Why don't you guys just pretend to grow some cahones, or better yet just pretend that you lived in a safe place where you didn't constantly fear being mugged. Would you use the iPad at the bus stop then?

23. Sparced macrumors regular

Sparced

Some days I can see myself taking the iPad inside it's official case as protection to college, no bag required. It looks quite smart to carry around on its own.

24. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Briefcase, eh? Careful or someone will steal the briefcase while you're distracted with the iPad. It'll take both your hands to hold and use the iPad. ;)

This brings up another issue.... How does anyone else carry the ipad with them? I don't carry a briefcase or backpack to work. It won't fit in any coat pocket of mine. An iPod Touch I can slip into a pocket or clip to my belt. IMO the iPad is too big to be easily portable.