White Americans long for the 1950s, when they didn’t face so much discrimination

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Nov 25, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

only in murica.™
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...erent-such-victims-of-reverse-discrimination/
    [​IMG]

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Do they "long for the 50s" or do they just believe things were better "back in the good old days (nearly a universal sentiment for people of a certain age)?

Many liberals speak approvingly of the fifties 90% income tax rates, but they don't wish it were suddenly 1955 again.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Ahh. Statistics where people were asked about their opinions.

Now that's my kinda science right there :p

4. rowdt1 macrumors regular

May I suggest reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. That book perfectly portrays the difference between what used to be good and what's considered to be good nowadays.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It wasn't just the high income tax for corporations, but everything. Economically, you don't get much better than 50's America.

But socially? Yeah. Calling it a mixed bag would be doing it a service.

I'd like to see a return to the 50's-60's can-do attitude and economic conditions, with today's higher social standards...minus the crazy Tumblr bred stuff that's suddenly reared up on the political scene.

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Post WWII America was wonderful. The rest of the world was still decimated from WWII so we were the only functional economy worth a ****. If you want those days again, then hope that WWIII wipes out the rest of the world again.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Once again proving that white Americans (and I am a very white American) are the biggest pansies when it comes to enduring and persevering through social inequity.

Decades of unassailed supremacy and privilege have turned us soft, and into a bunch of whiners.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yet when it comes to firearms you'll cling to them like freedom is impossible without guns.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not me. You mean those other soft Americans.

I'm soft for different reasons.

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

The white Americans who feel discriminated against are those who either lost out in affirmative action hiring, or those who take to heart the perpetual bleating of the looney left.

You won’t find any such feeling of discrimination on the part of the white Democratic presidential ticket.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That was a pretty good. I didn't finish his next couple novels, thinking he was just mailing them in. Then I forced myself to finish "Revival" and regretted it. What a stupid ending. I'm done with SK novels although I still enjoy his short stories.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

being able to defend your life & that of your family with firearms is a freedom few enjoy LEGALLY.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Like all these polls, I lay odds that most people who agree with going back to 1950's norm's, never actually lived through them.
    The 1950's are the reason why the 1960's were such a turning point.

14. Renzatic, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I need to find the link again, but it turns out the one group of people who have most benefited from Affirmative Action over the years were actually white women.

These white women were more than likely married to white men, earning income for their white household. So let's not play the Suffering White Man card just yet. As it turns out, everyone has benefitted from AA in some shape, form, or fashion.

And after tomorrow, you'll probably be 10 pounds softer still! :D

That's why I'm talking solely economically. Socially, the mid-50's to late 60's were a consistent string of chaotic, massive upheavals.

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I rather miss the 80's myself, and I did live through the 50's (although as a child, so perspectives are irrelevant at that age).

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Yup. For me, the 80's were nothing but days filled with playing in the woods and watching cartoons.

Ahh, that was the life.

17. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

For most of the 80's I was an independent software consultant at Citibank, and they were paying me a ridiculously hefty amount of money. Ah, those were the days!

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I would like to quality furniture like they had in the 50's. What other decade had school desks that could protect you from a nuclear blast?;) Duck and cover.:D

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Sometimes I'd make as much as $5 a week for doing chores around the neighborhood. That was a lot of money back then.

Well yeah. Everything was made with steel, lead paint, and asbestos in the 50's. It'd last about 500 years, and protect you from just about everything.

20. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

and even fewer manage. more of a chance of getting hit by lightening.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

guns are used by people to defend themselves everyday.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As a liberal I hated the 80's (although it is the golden age of music for me). The 80's is when we turned our backs on the lessons of the 60's and 70's, re-embracing exceptionalism, greed and consumption, a trend that has continued to this very day.

Thanks 80's. :mad:

23. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Which lessons of the 60's and 70's are you referring to specifically?

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Jimmy Carter installed solar panels on the White House roof, and urged Americans to put on a sweater instead of turning up the thermostat.

Americans, said, "**** that! We're going to buy SUVs instead."

25. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Not sure what lesson you're trying to highlight, but... That's it?