White and Black iPhone 4/4s have different color calibrations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by roznstyle, Dec 14, 2011.

1. roznstyle macrumors newbie

When setting up my Dad's Black iPhone 4, the color calibration seemed a bit off to me. To be more specific it was a bit 'cool' with a blue hue. This seemed odd to me as my iPhone 4 is the White model and I felt the color calibration to be on the warm side. I compared the two side by side and made the following comparisons:

White iPhone:

Pros: Whites actually look white, overall brighter at the highest setting

Cons: lower contrast ratio, icons are not as sharp and have less details

Black iPhone:

Pros: blacks are blacker and the home screen is much sharper and detailed

Cons: whites have a blue tint in comparison, and is nowhere near as bright at its highest setting.

At first I thought maybe my phone or my dad's phone was just a 'one off' out of spec issue. Then I took my phone and compared it directly with display models both Black and White at the AT&T store and at Best Buy.

My conclusion is that this is not an anomaly and it must be "As Designed"

I pondered why Apple would calibrate their White and Black iPhone displays differently. Aren't they the same phone?

Here is my theory. The White and Black iPhones are named for good reason they are the purest White and purest Black objects you will ever find. Therefore the display on the White iPhone needs to have a warmer color temperature. If it was cool, the blue hue would be much more apparent and look off to the end user when blended with the white bezel in the user's peripheral vision. For the Black iPhone, having a warm color temperature would draw out too much attention to the extra yellow tones and once again be too distracting.

I would welcome any comments on this from people who have either made the same observation or tested my theory and found the same evidence. I haven't seen anyone discuss this on the Internet so hopefully this thread can build a knowledge base.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

None of this is true. Neither iPhones have different color calibration then the other. Some have different tints but thats not based on color of the iPhone, it's based off the LCD provider.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It doesn't matter if it's black or white (no pun intended)

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I've seen white iPhone 4S with a much bluer tint than black ones. Every phone is different.

5. el3ctone macrumors member

yep it depends on the LCD panel they use in each one. I have 2 white and 2 black 4S in my family. i have matching pairs of Black and Whites in terms of the LCD color temperature.