Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Had my white bumper for about 3 weeks and the corners on the backside of the bumpers are turning yellow.

It's not like I lie it on dirt - only my pocket and when I get home I even rest it on a micro-fiber cloth.

This sucks - now I want a black one but I can't even order them now right?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Had my white bumper for about 3 weeks and the corners on the backside of the bumpers are turning yellow.

It's not like I lie it on dirt - only my pocket and when I get home I even rest it on a micro-fiber cloth.

It's the 4 packs of cigarettes a day that cause that.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Baking Soda will fix it. The magic eraser sort of works but causes minor abrasion and some of the darker spots won't come off.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Pics or it didn't happen.;) But seriously, it would be nice to see what is happening here.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
No yellow on mine either, and I've had it a few weeks now. Mine gets really dirty but I wipe it down every few days with alcohol and it cleans it right up

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Just a heads up: Neither the Magic Eraser nor the baking soda paste nor the boiling removes black scuff marks from a light colored bumper. Other dirt seems to come off pretty easily though.

Hmm...OxyClean, maybe? Works on all sorts of stuff.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Why bother with any of that stuff? Simple rubbing alcohol works just fine...

Probably works fine on regular grime; does nothing on the black scuffs I got from the belt clip I was using. It's a black rubberized plastic of some sort, and it's left marks where it rubbed against the bumper. I've managed to lighten them somewhat, but not remove them completely.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Why bother with any of that stuff? Simple rubbing alcohol works just fine...

It doesn't work on a lot of stuff.

The baking soda didn't work?!?! :eek: I have no idea then, tell me if you find something better! So far it has mostly cleaned the bumper for me (certain corner spots won't go away). I found that if you leave it on for ~15 minutes it works better.

mr lee

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
yea they do get pretty dirty, it just sucks having to clean something you use so often as opposed to having a black one where you really don't have to worry about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.