White guy wins after leading voters to believe he’s black

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, Texas. I don't know what's sadder, the fact that someone would do this to win or that people vote so blindly.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Whit...ng-voters-to-believe-hes-black-231222981.html

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Everyone likes a shortcut. One of the weaknesses of the voting process is how identifying with an existing group that the voter already belongs to, is faster than making a group from scratch.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Republicans might have found an easy way to pick up a good chunk of votes with this. Blacks appear to be racist when voting.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or they figure there's shared life experience that helps the politician connect more with their constituent.

But sure, let's go with your extra-crunchy, cynical POV instead.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This really made me laugh. It's not so much due to race as it is that he won an election using internet troll tactics.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Not really news. Check the last two Presidential races.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They already stated that these were all democrats, they voted against their political beliefs because of the skin color of the politician.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes, because ~13% of the population came out and voted in their entirety, to put a half-white/half-black guy into office.

Fun bit of trivia, 86% of African American voters voted for Clinton in '92, then again in '96, then 90% voted for Gore and 88% for Kerry.

So by your theory, it should have been 50/50 before a big bad black man ran, right?

I think a better example of racism would be the presidential election voting in West Virginia. Historically they have been close to 50/50 voting, until 2008 where it was a historically high vote for the Republicans, then in 2012, it was a near 30% difference between Rep/Dem vote. Many exit polls would have had the Democrats winning WVa if it were any other candidate than Obama.

African Americans have been pretty **** upon in this country, so if they think a politician understands the **** they've been through, they'll vote for them. Case in point, Clinton, Gore and Kerry, very white politicians, who expressed compassion for the downtrodden, and they get the votes of the downtrodden. (Women, Gays, Latino, Asian, the Young, etc).

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think this is how Obama won the White House. Most blacks vote democratic anyway. And there would be racist white voters who outnumber racist blacks who would vote against him.

I think this is a fair point.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Two points ...

1. A college trustee election is probably non-partisan.

2. This was the guy they voted out [see attached]

Attached Files:

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Deceptive advertising? Used in a political campaign? In Uhmerika?

Shocking! :eek:

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He did more than lie about his race. He didn't run with his actual views and/or kept them hidden. His ads and fliers were a complete misconception of what he stands for regardless of what race he represented.

The whole "look we got'em" attitude is racist in itself. This proves nothing.

The REAL problem in this is not race, it's ignorance. Sadly too many in the lower income bracket(of any race) vote uneducated, especially for things they probably have little clue about, like Board of Trustees. Too many only pay attention to the bigger elections.

Detroit's population is 82% black, yet they just elected a white mayor above multiple black candidates. Yes, blacks are just so racist. :rolleyes:

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

This democrat never lied about her heritage.

Attached Files:

14. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Almost all politicians will say anything if they think it will somehow help them.

Why am I suppose to get upset now because this one inferred he was a different ethnicity and/or race???

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Didn't they also just go bankrupt?

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What does that have to do with anything?

Please explain.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't make an example of a city who has elected based on skin color for the past 30 years and then starts paying attention to policies instead of skin color when the city is in the dumpster/bankrupt? Does anyone seriously say "Hey I want to live in Detroit?"

18. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I can't believe people would vote so blindly for Obama because he is black.

Before anyone calls "racist!!", I'm not. I have many black friends, so you can stop there. I live in Los Angeles where practically everyone loves obama. When the 2008 elections were happening people were voting for him only because he was black and it was the cool thing to do. It's really too bad that he'll be remembered for being the first black president rather than his character or abilities of a president.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. Apparently their new white mayor ...

20. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

You mean the super far-left white guy. Lets see what he actually does before we claim him to fame.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

"Claim him to fame"?

Where did that come from?

:confused:

The question from ZA was, who'd want to move to Detroit?

The answer was, that guy.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So all the black people you know were outright telling you that they are voting for Obama based on skin color, or is that just your assumption?

Let's not take away the fact that Obama ran an amazing first campaign, and how Sarah Palin made the decision even easier. Or the fact that Romney kept basically ruined it for himself.

Also since we are talking about race. All the outspoken racial bashing, such as birth certificate, Muslim, and affiliations to make Obama look biased and racist himself basically backfired and sent more people to the voting both than ever before.

23. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I stopped reading there.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That's when I started thinking it was a joke, then I kept reading and I think he is serious...

I'm guessing he got confused between people thinking it was exciting to have the first black president, and that being the reason they were voting for him...

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn