White House blasts GOP over FEMA funding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Aug 30, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- this has to be a new low for Republicans. This is beyond sick.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-la-pn-fema-funds-20110830,0,7871066.story

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

These guys will stop at nothing. I can guarantee you that.

Soon as they even touch veterans benefits they are screwed. THAT I can guarantee too.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I really didn't think that they would stoop this low, but apparently they will. If this doesn't prove these d-bags will throw the whole country under the bus for their agenda, I don't know what will.

5. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

FEMA shouldn't even exist in the first place, so what's the big deal? The states should be able to take care of themselves. They are completely capable of having their own public catastrophe cleanup organization.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is why the national guard gets called in all the time to help deal with situations right?

Why exactly shouldn't there be a federal disaster agency? Note this doesn't mean "Why shouldn't FEMA exist in its current piss-poor shape".

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? Completely capable? Please prove this.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is why historically whenever there has been a disaster in a state the state is the first one to contact FEMA.

:rolleyes:

9. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

First the 9/11 insurance thing and now this.
    The GOP can call themselves the "fiscally responsible" party all they want, but they've proven over and over again that they are NOT the patriotic party. They don't give a flying **** about Americans; unless by "Americans" you mean "dollar bills."
    In fact it kinda make sense, American dollars are made in America, right? Whereas you can become American even if you were born abroad! And there's no black or Muslim or gay or Mexican bills!

Mystery solved.
    :cool:

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If that's the case, why hasn't Princess Palin's Alaska, the state that gets the biggest tax break out of all 50 states, given their money back? Same with Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho? why hasn't Bachmann, who said her state didn't need the money, but went to the government 9 times with her hands out for money, give any of it back? You claim that the states should be able to take care of themselves, yet they've fleeced every single cent out of the people of those states! Look exactly that happens when disaster strikes.. Who do the governors of those states go directly to? Not themselves, not the people.

Your logic fails.

"Deficits don't matter!" - Dick Cheney

BL.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It is stunning that people are losing everything they owned, and the only way the Republicans can see this tragedy is through the filter of monetary equations.

Y'know, in the short run -- the next year or so -- this is going to be an absolute disaster for the people left devastated by Irene (or the next big disaster, or the one after that).

But in the long run, this is gonna turn an aaaaawful lot of people against the Republicans. This could become the tea party's Katrina.

Cold ****ing comfort to people who have no home to return to, I know. But this could also wake up a lot of people to just how cruel the tea partiers can be.

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

so much are you willing to pay in taxes to the state for this?
    just what is needed 50 separate agencies to deal with emergencies instead of one. that should save some money. all states need emergency services every year?

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've never quite understood this hard on for wanting everything to be controlled by the individual states. Seems overly complicated. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's "I don't want to ever pay for anyone else."

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

seems it is a tea party thing. MB wants to kill the EPA and lets states do the job.

15. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

How odd Cantor didn't apply the same "must offset spending with cuts" rule to the $267M federal bailout received a few years ago by New York Private Bank and Trust, where Cantor's wife is an executive.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You are probably spot-on.

People choose to live where they do, regardless of the inherent risks of that location.

Some think "Why should I pay for that? I live in the middle of nowhere, with almost zero risk of anything happening."

I think the State approach is closer to being fair to all involved.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe all states have some money but they could never handle something of this scale. The states just are not big enough.

This is a new low and I honestly will say the dems need to hold the line on this one and accept something with zero strings attached and force the gop to suck it but then again the gop on this one does not care. Noticed the color of most of the states effected (give you a hint it isn't red)

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If FEMA didn't exist and it was up to the individual states, then all of the Paulies and small government advocates would be whining that disaster relief shouldn't be up to the states, it should be up to the individual counties in that state. They just want the government to get smaller and smaller until there is no more government.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

There is absolutely no way I think individual states should be in control of their own environmental regulations. State number one decides to allow dumping of waste in a river, and that river then flows through state number two affecting the residents there. There has to be a country-wide regulation of this sort of thing.

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

People like you exist? :eek:

Attached Files:

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Aren't our states United?

And I'm sure our budget can PE padded enough to anticipate natural disasters, or invasions of places like Iraq. :rolleyes:

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What do you have to fear in Oregon, heavy rain?? :D

If you construe that loss of an oil source is a 'natural disaster', yes. ;)

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Medium drizzle perhaps. ;)

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

WHA ?? :eek:

We have 3 volcanos around us.

We have a very active fault line right off our coast.
    And now we have this

We got plenty to worry about. ;)

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Mount St. Helen's is in Washington, and the Ring Of Fire has not bit you in the ass in many years.

Sure, if California slips into the Pacific, you might move down the coast a bit, but that does not necessarily mean that you are now in The South. :eek: