White House cancels Trump's WWI cemetery visit in France over weather

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Lame. No reason he couldn't go my motorcade. Disrespectful too. Maybe he didn't want to face Macron after insulting him, "President Macron of France has just suggested that Europe build its own military in order to protect itself from the U.S., China and Russia. Very insulting, but perhaps Europe should first pay its fair share of NATO, which the U.S. subsidizes greatly!"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/white-house-decision-cancel-veteran-s-cemetery-france-visit-creates-n934796

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Allow me to quote a tweet from Nicholas Soames, a Conservative MP, distinguished son of the impressive and distinguished Mary Soames, and her husband, himself an impressive former diplomat and soldier (and MP), Christopher Soames. And grandson of the legendary Winston Churchill:

"They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @RealDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to The Fallen #hesnotfittorepresenthisgreatcountry"

And, as others have pointed out, the endless rain of Flanders didn't stop the slaughter of the First World War on the western front.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I hate to find myself defending Donald Trump. But in this case, the White House made the right call.

Bad weather makes flying helicopters hazardous. And the logistics of moving the US President's motorcade 50-odd miles through the French countryside would have caused dreadful traffic problems.

Any day when Donald Trump is snoozing on the Ambassador's couch, watching football and yelling at the news shows - as opposed to embarrassing the United States and decent people everywhere - is a good day.

Reactions: hulugu

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I hate to find myself defending Donald Trump. But in this case, the White House made the right call.

Bad weather makes flying helicopters hazardous. And the logistics of moving the US President's motorcade 50-odd miles through the French countryside would have caused dreadful traffic problems.

Any day when Donald Trump is snoozing on the Ambassador's couch, watching football and yelling at the news shows - as opposed to embarrassing the United States and decent people everywhere - is a good day.
Macron and Merkel had no difficulty getting there. As multiple people who worked on advance teams for both Obama and Bush explained today, you always have to have a contingency plan for circumstances like this.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon

No, I beg to differ: The White House didn't make the right call. And not for the first time in this administration.

As @RichardMZhlubb has posted above, both Dr Angela Merkel and Mr Macron managed to make their way to attend the function and did so with dignity and a touching grace - the video clip of them holding hands at the ceremony was very moving.

And as some who had worked with Barack Obama have pointed out, you always have contingency plans for something of this sort.

No, Mr Trump - not for the first time - showed himself to have no class, no dignity, no grace, and no generosity of spirit or character.

Last edited:

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Macron and Merkel had no difficulty getting there. As multiple people who worked on advance teams for both Obama and Bush explained today, you always have to have a contingency plan for circumstances like this.
You're probably right. But I just figure getting upset over every crappy action, speech, and decision Donald Trump makes is going to wear us all out.

As I alluded to above, standing in quiet dignity, wearing a black coat and a somber expression at a war cemetery is one of those things that make a person look "Presidential."

The less opportunities Trump has to do that, the better, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not like the guys in the cemetery are going to notice the difference.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
No, I beg to differ: The White House didn't make the right call. And not for the first time in this administration.

As @RichardMZhlubb has posted above, both Dr Angela Merkel and Mr Macron managed to make their way to attend the function and did so with dignity and a touching grace - the video clip of them holding hands at the ceremony was very moving.

And as some who had worked with Barack Obama have pointed out, you always have contingency plans for something of this sort.

No, Mr Trump - not for the first time - showed himself to have no class, no dignity, no grace, and no generosity of spirit or character.
Another way to look at it, is perhaps this is the most presidential thing 45 has done. 45 always has a disturbing habit of making anything & anywhere he goes about him. This event which is mainly a European event, was fortunately not overshadowed by some rambling stream of self aggrandizing or insults.

Perhaps the nicest thing he's done for our European friends since 45 took office.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Another way to look at it, is perhaps this is the most presidential thing 45 has done. 45 always has a disturbing habit of making anything & anywhere he goes about him. This event which is mainly a European event, was fortunately not overshadowed by some rambling stream of self aggrandizing or insults.

Perhaps the nicest thing he's done for our European friends since 45 took office.
No, he didn't want to get wet. This is still all about him. Psychologically, he cannot handle and occasion that is not about him.

What some Americans don't seem to get, is that occasions such as today's are offending the people who would have been his (the GOP's) natural allies - decent, sensitive, intelligent conservatives. They are appalled at this rude and offensive an dismissive behaviour which smacks of entitled - and breathtaking and condescending - arrogance.

Not so long ago, I watched the clip of how he - discarded, threw away, dropped, what verb describes this best? - the umbrella he was unable to close - tossing it aside in Airforce One.

Sorry: The man is an absolute disgrace, lacking grace, elegance, empathy, class, dignity, and basic decency.

He is unfit to hold the distinguished office he does, and - frankly - he is an embarrassment to the once proud history of the United States.

Last edited:

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
No, he didn't want to get wet. This is still all about him. Psychologically, he cannot handle an occasion that is not about him.

What some Americans don't seem to get, is that occasions such as today's are offending the people who would have been his natural allies - decent, sensitive, intelligent conservatives. They are appalled at this rude and offensive an dismissive behaviour which smacks of entitled - and breathtaking and condescending - arrogance.

Not so long ago, I watched the clip of how he - discarded, threw away, dropped, what verb describes this best? - the umbrella he was unable to close - tossing it aside in Airforce One.

Sorry: The man is an absolute disgrace, lacking grace, elegance, empathy, class, dignity, and basic decency.

He is unfit to hold the distinguished office he does, and - frankly - he is an embarrassment to the once proud history of the United States.
Dude! :eek: I'm trying to be like our friends who are quick to see things in other ways for individuals who do things some of us may not think are acceptable. This was 45 looking at the bigger picture, trying to be the bigger man, but NOT trying to take overt credit.

Sheesh!

:cool: Yes, I know 45 doesn't give a whit about anyone else.

Reactions: hulugu

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
What some Americans don't seem to get, is that occasions such as today's are offending the people who would have been his natural allies - decent, sensitive, intelligent conservatives. They are appalled at this rude and offensive an dismissive behaviour which smacks of entitled - and breathtaking and condescending - arrogance..
All true. (Although I would quibble over the natural affinity between "decent, sensitive, intelligent" conservatives and the purveyor of Trump Steaks.)

Your American friends see this somewhat differently. This is but one minor skirmish in a much, much larger campaign. Yeah: We could get all het up about Trump ducking out of a WWI Memorial observance. But is that really the best thing to do?

Sun Tzu:

It is the unemotional, reserved, calm, detached warrior who wins, not the hothead seeking vengeance and not the ambitious seeker of fortune

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
He was afraid the rain might aggravate his bone spurs.
[doublepost=1541900981][/doublepost]
Obviously we are not in possession of the full facts, but prima facie I am very disappointed, actually disgusted that Trump didn't attend. Very disrespectful on so many levels, to so many nations, especially his own.
He disrespected McCain's service. He insulted Gold Star parents. He bragged about the "risks" he took while getting deferments during the Vietnam War. Nothing new here.

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
He could have rolled in a motorcade.
[doublepost=1541903464][/doublepost]
Everyone knows witches melt when they get wet.
I thought he was worried that his cheap make-up would smear.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You're probably right. But I just figure getting upset over every crappy action, speech, and decision Donald Trump makes is going to wear us all out.

As I alluded to above, standing in quiet dignity, wearing a black coat and a somber expression at a war cemetery is one of those things that make a person look "Presidential."

The less opportunities Trump has to do that, the better, as far as I'm concerned. And it's not like the guys in the cemetery are going to notice the difference.
Unfortunately there is no avoiding getting upset every day knowing the monster is POTUS.

He spent several million U$D to fly to a meeting he could have done in DC. (read David Frum)
And then decide to stay cozy in Paris.
This was simply an excuse to visit Paris for 5 star food and Dom Perignon.

Bush 2 and Obama at #45 inauguration, when it was raining

Even the monster himself was out in rain.

Every US soldier should turn her/his back on IT for not attending once-in-a-lifetime memorial to fallen US soldiers.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
Even Trudeau has no F's to give
That was from the 2017 Anniversary of Dieppe:

“As we sit here in the rain, thinking how uncomfortable we must be these minutes as our suits get wet and our hair gets wet...it’s all the more fitting that we remember on that day in Dieppe the rain wasn’t rain, it was bullets.”

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
His boss doesn't seem to mind :D

https://i.imgur.com/VG899oz.gifv
BOTH of those are REAL symbols of STRENGTH.
Not a drizzle or light rain, that is a soaking downpour
As uncomfortable as it is, that is nothing to what the troops felt.

I visited the battlefields of Verdun in 1982, and 64 years later the ground looked completely unnatural, like the surface of the moon, but green color.
And still quiet (few animals).

In 2014 I visited a WW2 battlefield near Ostrava, CZ. It is easy to find the wounds of that war too.

Go see the movie "Hacksaw Ridge".

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
His boss doesn't seem to mind :D

https://i.imgur.com/VG899oz.gifv
Trump's boss, Putin, is high energy, a true strongman. Rain won't stop him.

Trump is low energy, a truly weak man. Thousands of American soldiers died in WW1 during inclement weather, slogging in the snow rain and in the muddy trenches. They didn't stop fighting. But Trump? A rainy day ruined his plans to honor those troops.