White House Czar Calls for End to 'War on Drugs'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Teh Don Ditty, May 14, 2009.

1. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Hot Link Action

About friggin' time if you ask me. I really hope this gets done relatively soon. Legalize it, tax it. As for those that drive under the influence, we should follow the DUI/DWI laws currently in place for alcohol. Enjoy your drugs, but don't be stupid about it.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please let this happen! We've needed this for decades!

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I remember this Seattle Police chief. He's a good guy and he was one person that helped Seattle decriminalize marijuana and make it a low priority offense. It helped bring crime down in Seattle.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

THANK YOU!

I love most of the changes this Administration is finally trying to bring to the country. Out with the outdated programs for show, in with reason.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am all for this, someone doing drugs doesn't bother me, someone doing drugs and then breaking the law does. Charge him for the law he breaks while intoxicated, problem solved.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I still won't hold breath on this one, it would be nice to see but it will be a huge up hill battle.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

+1, the change needs to be made.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Without this false war on drugs what will the police,jailers,lawyers,judges and all the rest do? real work? go after the real criminals? The drug war is the cash cow for these guys and the taxpayer is the cow.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Those wasted billions could be better spent elsewhere.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You bet, how about education from when they are little kids before they grow up into criminals? Thats 100% against the GOP ideas.
    Roads? College? less taxes? anything is better then what we have now.

11. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

A small step forward after 10000 steps backward, but I'm certainly not going to complain. This is actually pretty huge.

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I've always been torn on this issue. I frimly believe that the War on (some) Drugs is a huge waste of time and money, as well as a massive abuse of police power. I do believe that marijuana should be legalized, but I have always been unsure on the harder stuff. I do think meth should stay illegal and have big punishments, for public safety if nothing else. Meth labs are huge public safety problems.

13. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

certainly there would have to still be some restrictions; meth and the like have no real practical purpose and destroy users lives.

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

thanks god...a little more reason in our government!

15. toontra macrumors 6502

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It all sounds sweet, letting adults decide what they will/will not put into their bodies.

But I'm waiting with baited breath to see the lobbyists that crawl out of the woodwork to fight this.

Perhaps a tax audit will uncover their true allegiance?? :p

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There would obviously have to be some restrictions on the more dangerous drugs, probably making them prescription only.

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

When I read the headline I thought "about fricking time"

then I read the story and realized... Focus Group Repackaging.

Same ****, just with flowers.

19. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

when do you think you would need a crack prescription? Or were you being sarcastic?

20. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, this is my hang up with drug legalization. I have problems with something like crack or meth being legal. On the other hand, only legalizing certain drugs leads you back the problem we have now. Where do you draw the line as to what is legal and what isn't. Crack, cocaine, X, heroin? With partial legalization, you wind up arguments such as "Marijuana is legal, so why not _fill in the blank drug_?"

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The decriminalization of Marijuana alone would probably save us billions just in detainment costs.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When you are addicted to it.

Its worth remembering that there is other very dangerous stuff for you that is entirely legal just because it doesn't have the reputation.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Legalize it all, educate people about it and tax the hell out of it. Tax money pays for treatment for those with addictions. Problem solved. It's a lot cheaper than incarcerating people.

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But can this last past the Obama administration? At some point there will be another Republican president who thinks all drug users are criminals that need to be punished. What happens then? The only way to stymie retrenchment is to pull the pendumlum as far towards sanity as possible while we can, I think.

25. gibbz macrumors 68030

You mean like Rush Limbaugh?