White House launches website to report social media censorship

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 15, 2019.

1. Rogifan, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019

Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The tool, which is hosted on Typeform, asks users for screenshots and links of the offending content, and provides a text field where users can describe the enforcement actions taken against them. The user is also asked to choose between Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube or “other” as the platform where the offense took place. (Facebook and Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)

The tool also collects significant personal information from the user, and near the end invites users to opt into email newsletters from President Trump, “so we can update you without relying on platforms like Facebook and Twitter.” A separate question points users to an extensive user agreement, and makes clear that “you understand this form is for information gathering only.”

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/15/...agram-facebook-conservative-bias-social-media

And what exactly is Trump going to do with this? Constantly tweet about random people who claim they were censored on social media because of their politics? Or is this just to create email lists he can spam? Is one of the questions going to ask how much you’d like to donate to his campaign?

2. eatrains macrumors 6502

Just when you think Republicans have gone off the deep end, they find an even deeper deep end.

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

On a related note, is there a way to block anything mentioning or related to Trump's tweets across the entire internet? I might even be willing to pay for such a service.

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I am all for it and its a great idea to track these things. I'm for open speech wherever we can and get as many conversations going as possible. Tech companies and social networking sites have been know to censor conservative viewpoints.

5. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Even if they are (censoring conservatives), too bad. They have every right to control content on a platform they own.

The First Amendment gives you the right to free speech, but it doesn't mean a company has to be the host for that speech.

Bunch of snowflakes whining when people take issue with their BS "free speech". Go start your own platform and then you can allow any content you wish (and even **gasp** censor liberals).

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

Most social media companies can’t decide whether they are like public forums to content creators, with many liability protections under the law, or select the material by media creators that they publish, and thus can have more liabilities.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

How is this something the WH should be creating/managing?

It's nothing more than soliciting from disgruntled people to target them with Trump messaging...

8. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Well, we certainly know were you stand on this issue. Thats why I said open speech rather than free speech.

Its nice to know where NOT to go when we want to discuss issues freely and hear all sides of the conversation.

9. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Call it what you want - I stand by what the law says.

10. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

It’s only fine with you because the majority that are being silenced are conservative. So snowflake on....
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    Shall we compare who’s always playing the victim?

11. eatrains macrumors 6502

Of course! We all know conservatives can’t not be the majority, therefore it must be that all the conservatives are being silenced and censored by those evil liberal websites.

12. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Their sites their rules. Political affiliation isn’t a protected class.

13. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Wrong. There are plenty of outlets for conservatives that censor liberals. You don’t see me complaining about them or trying to force them to host “my” content. They also have the right to dictate what content they show (or remove).

Sorry, try again.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Have at it. Trump still always plays the victim when he’s usually the perp.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2019 ---
    This is a witch hunt
    Comey didn’t do a good job
    Hillary colluded
    Sessions shouldn’t have recused himself, I like loyalty
    I didn’t care for what Wray said
    My lawyers office shouldn’t have been raided
    There’s a deep state
    Cohen is a rat
    They’re censoring conservatives
    Fake news

On and on. For a guy who only hires “the best”, they sure do love to screw him over. Poor guy.

15. statik13, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019

statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

What proof to that? Every TOR I have read was written to reduce abuse related to violence, hate speech, racism and discrimination... that does not equate to censoring conservatives.

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

1. Typeform is a Spanish company. Why would an administration, specifically the President, who's always touting America, direct his staff to use a Spanish company? I'm sure there's a myriad of American companies that offer the exact same service. So much for Made in America.

2. These pillocks don't know what free speech is. Someone can talk smack of the government and not be arrested or killed like in some countries, or fined in others. That same person can be free to say whatever they want to others, but it doesn't protect them from anything that happens after. If some loud mouths shouldn't be censored, then no one should be censored. That includes people on the opposite side of the spectrum.

It's akin to having Israel and Hezbollah at the dinner table breaking bread.

Edit: There's an awful lot of information gathering for a simple complaint. It's like they're building up a database of names, numbers, and loose identities to collect and keep for future reference. How very... interesting.

17. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

Haha, conservatives are snowflakes? It was a bunch a whiney liberals who cried after an election, needed safe spaces after the election because it just left them so distraught, could not take their final exams because they were too distraught, and I could go on and on. Hell, liberals are still crying about an election that happened three damn years ago!!! Get over it and try to put a candidate up who can possibly beat Trump! Russia hoax, Kavanaugh hoax, and now crying over the AG doing his damn job! Liberals want him to break the law by releasing Grand Jury testimony, which they know he CANNOT do, yet Dems up on the hill and around the country are demanding it happen...come on, give me a break!

Also, that website is for ANY social media censorship, not just conservative, so why are you so fired up? If you happen to get censored, report it. Conservatives tend to get censored on this site.

:apple:

18. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm not for that either. So you won't find me there.

19. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

You’re not for what? The right of a company to dictate what content they allow?
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    Sounds like you’re the one fired up based on your little rant that has nothing to do with this thread.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Agreed, but we have to consider that the more they do censorships (I use the term veeeeeeeery loosely) the more some companies become "publishers", especially Facebook. If that's the case - and FB itself is kinda making this case - they become 100% responsible and liable for what they allow on their platform, as a newspaper and its editors would be.

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I’m not seeing where anyone is saying companies shouldn’t have a right to block whatever content they want to block. I also don’t see a problem with bringing awareness to which companies are doing this (not sure if that’s what the administration is trying to do here).

I think the guy you’re quoting is saying that he won’t participate in any forum where stuff like this goes on, whether he agrees with the viewpoint being blocked or not.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

[QUOTE="realtuner, post: 27366083, member: 1168416"

Bunch of snowflakes whining when people take issue with their BS "free speech". Go start your own platform and then you can allow any content you wish (and even **gasp** censor liberals).[/QUOTE]

The right wing aren't censoring the left wing in the UK, they just attacked and intimidate them into silence these days.

23. Solver macrumors 6502a

And if they go too far, that could be their downfall. What company wants to go down in flames based on an ideology?

24. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Don't worry. It'll go over just as good as Melanie's anti-bullying campaign LOL.
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    Yes, they are. Soft and brittle and who would have thought they would complain so much over words LOL. Don't forget without principles too. Y'all used to be for things like family values (another LOL). Just admit it, the cons were just looking for power and voting for anything with a (R) attached.