White House: Never Mind the North Meeting, Trump Was Just Babbling

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Mar 9, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They're walking it back now. Just in from NYMag

In other words, what every other president in recent history has done. His team obviously roped him back in on this one.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

He probably got confused again and thought it was about South Korea

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

A shame really, though given the words of Tillerson and Sanders on maintaining crippling sanctions over the last few days we shouldn’t be surprised that the warmongers he surrounded himself with are still itching for a reason for tensions to ramp up.

I don’t like Trump, at all, but what the South Koreans have done diplomatically up to this point (literally doing all the work then inviting Trump) is nothing short of heroic.

4. Krayzkat Suspended

Another headline deflection against the storm(y)

5. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

No fan of Trump either but I think he's doing the right thing here by following in Bush Jr. and Obama's footsteps. We need more than just "we promise not to test and have stopped production (which in no way can be verified)" before sitting at the table with him. This would've been a huge win for NK, looking like they forced Trump to the table without giving an inch.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Why? What sense does it make for NK to come to the table *after* giving up the only leverage they have?

The US has demanded for years that the program has to be completely dismantled before talks would start...but wtf is there to talk about then?

Full disclosure: I don’t give ***** about optics when an actual war on the peninsula is on the verge of happening. Come to the table and discuss things like adults, the worst case is you walk away and things are exactly where they are now.

Now is about the time I start getting called an apologist by certain members here. I care about the human lives at stake if we continue blustering our way towards a war, millions are at stake. So forgive me everyone if I don’t view this through the lens of a national ego.

7. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

We could then talk about what we can do for them, lifting sanctions, financial assistance, opening trade and welcoming them to the table at the UN, the list goes on. But as a hostile regime who kills/starves it's own people and threatens the rest of the world with nuclear war, we would just be placating them by giving them the time of day when they refuse to change it. I'm applauding Trump for seeing this.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Pray tell, other than explicitly saying they’d retaliate if the Us attacked it, when has North Korea ever held a doctrine of first strike? Not one of our QDR reports in the last decade have stated anything other than defensive posturing being the reason for NK’s nuclear program (Iran’s too for that matter).

I’m starting to feel like people view world events through a morality framing instead of dealing with the situation at hand. It’s an incredibly cruel regime...but it’s better than millions dead in Seoul isn’t it?

If the meeting took place there was a potential upside. Now that it’s not can you tell me what changes the calculus for war we’re clearly on other than diplomacy? I don’t think actively working to make relations worse (not giving them the time of day) does anything other than lead us closer to conflict.

Lastly, I don’t understand why we’re not recognizing NK’s offer for what it is, a desperate act from a regime that only has a nuclear program because they’re terrified of what we’ve been *practicing* for decades right on their shores (the decapitation of the regime). NK is reaching out from a position of *weakness*. Now that we’ve slapped their hand away, what do you expect a cornered animal to do?

There’s nothing even remotely rational about celebrating the demise for a *chance* to come to terms.

9. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

They've made threats against the United States on a regular basis for the last 20 years, I'm not sure how that is getting missed here but I'll just agree to disagree on this issue. I'm glad the Trump administration came to their senses. Just my .02.

10. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Disappointing. I was kind of hoping this would happen. Something I could actually get on board with Trump on.

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The idea of meeting and talking is fine. The problem is Un is evil, but wise, and Trump is Trump. This could be a tool of manipulation. Who knows what NK is running on their networks right now.

12. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Id like you to read some of those threats sometime. Not the one line excerpt that our warmonger news institutions like to cite, but perhaps the whole thing. There is *always* wording that declares retaliation, not a first strike (because NK is not suicidal and understands they are the far weaker player).

I think we’re at the end of our back and forth on this, but I’d like to thank you for giving my posts an honest read rather than jumping to ridiculous “apologist” attacks that happen so often here when you dare question our foreign policy. You and I agree and disagree in these forums fairly frequently, but you’ve always been gracious enough to be amiable rather than needlessly confrontational.

13. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

You bet man, I always appreciate our debates.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Hah. Can you expect anything else? I don't like Sanders. She's not meant for this job nor does she have any real life work experience other than working on her father's campaigns and even I wonder what she actually did. Though she handles the Press questions better than Spicer did.

Donny OTOH is a gaffe magnet. Anyone catch yesterday's Time headline of him assuming some guy's dad was dead and was corrected in front of cameras? Classic Donny.

15. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I have a friend who doesn’t care about politics and he knew who she was because he called her an unflattering name for a woman with eyes that don’t seem coordinated. He’s not liberal or conservative, he’s all over the map.

This Whitehouse moonwalks.... just like Michael Jackson..we’re not really walking back...

16. Zenithal macrumors 604

Honestly, having a stoner as a President would be better at this point.

17. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

It's not that I even mind a Republican president, especially considering we're on our average shift of power right now but it would be nice to have one I disagreed with on policy as opposed to him being such a jackass. You get the feeling that if it were Pence, Rubio or Bush we would be debating much more about issues instead of character.

18. 0007776 Suspended

We should be talking to them with no preconditions, but it shouldn’t be the president meeting with them until there are very concrete steps taken. Hopefully somewhere among all the walk back on this they will end up still having talks, just at a lower level.

19. Zenithal macrumors 604

Pence would be terrible. Rubio is a moron. Bush was the only guy with some degree of humanity. The thing with Trump is that he's incompetent. Pence is competent, and the damage he'd do is far, far worse.

20. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Completely reasonable. If the choice was hypothetically Trump goes or it doesn’t happen, I’d want him to go with the understanding that SK are the ones driving this diplomacy (they have actual skin in the game).

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber