White House Ordered to Keep E-Mails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 15, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

With Suits Pending Over Missing Messages, Judge Issues Directive on Backup Tapes

Insert joke here about how if they have nothing to hide, then what's the problem. But still, this seems very "18 1/2 minutes missing" to me. Obviously, if they're trying so hard to hide something, there must be something there worth hiding. I mean, the stuff we know about it scary enough. Can't imagine what else there is. And for some reason, why do I doubt it's all about national security or executive privilege? Also:

Did White House Lie About Solution Provider's Role in Loss of 5 Million E-mails?

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Anyone who's ever administered an e-mail server knows that retention of old e-mails and the ability to restore backups is not a sure bet. I don't know about this so called IT company or how their e-mail system is set up to archive e-mails, but it doesn't surprise me - no matter who's adminstration is in power.

To this day e-mail server administration remains the one IT responsibility that I refuse to have anything to do with. Life's too short.

3. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It seems to me that once a company accepts responsibility for keeping email as required by law, it should really know what it's doing.

EDIT:

From the article:
    This appears to a case of "who's on first"; just governmental incompetence, rather than conspiracy.

Off-topic, but Swarm' why do you think email archiving is such a task?

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Because if you ever have to recover a crashed e-mail server or a damaged e-mail database there sometimes is a huge gap between what the e-mail and tape backup software vendors say should restore everything and reality. I've even been boned allowing a Microsoft update to install and finding that a server that was working fine BSOD's afterwards.

I don't envy anyone that has to support a large e-mail system. I'm done with it.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hmm...I've never run into this problem, I'll have to watch out for it. Although, the email system I deal with is relatively small, maybe it's as simple as a scaling problem.

Now, I'll quit jacking the thread.

6. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Did you even read what I posted? Apparently not. That was just an excuse. There is no "IT company". They should have been using official gov e-mail systems, but they didn't. They used their own. Which is a big non-no. And when they got caught, and a judge ordered them to turn over what they had, they made up the fact that an outside company THAT DOESN'T EXIST lost them. If that happened at my work, the people responsible would be fired immediately. The administration is just shrugging their shoulders. Mostly because it was just an excuse, that doesn't seem to be holding up so well under scrutiny.

My God, is there anything you won't spin and try to distract from to defend this administration. They got caught. Again. And all you can say is keeping e-mail backups is hard. :rolleyes: I know you seem to think that gov is inept (unless of course they're losing wars you support), but they really shouldn't be, and if there was nothing to hide, they wouldn't need to be hiding whatever they obviously are.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Calm down there and help yourself to some fiber. The article says there was no IT company,but that they aren't using the government system. So, who's computers they using? Before you go off the handle about what is the true source of the problem here, you want want to side back and realize that perhaps the whole story isn't known yet about this.

My God, is there anything you won't spin and try to attack this administration?:rolleyes:

8. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I won't calm down because this is my country they're ruining. They should have been using the gov system. This is not in dispute. They used outside systems for gov work, possibly illegally, and now can't produce the legally required e-mails, blaming it on something that doesn't exist. We won't know the whole story, because as usual, they're hiding what's really going on and have been caught in another lie about it.

I don't have to spin anything. There it is right there. They were supposed to be using an internal system with oversight, they went around it, then lied about why they couldn't produce what was legally required of them, and are attempting to cover up whatever it is we don't know. Of course I'm upset by that. My only question is, why aren't you?

If this was Clinton, you'd be going nuts wanting to know what they were hiding. :rolleyes: