White House orders Federal Agencies to ignore Democratic oversight requests

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jun 2, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

I suppose this isn't technically illegal, but it is worrisome. The oversight requests generated by Republicans will be honored, but those by Democrats will be ignored. The White House has couched this in terms of "only honoring requests made by committee chairmen", but of course congressional chairmen are chosen by who has the majority... In any case, this is a new level of partisanship. From Politico:

The White House is telling federal agencies to blow off Democratic lawmakers' oversight requests, as Republicans fear the information could be weaponized against President Donald Trump.

At meetings with top officials for various government departments this spring, Uttam Dhillon, a White House lawyer, told agencies not to cooperate with such requests from Democrats, according to Republican sources inside and outside the administration.

It appears to be a formalization of a practice that had already taken hold, as Democrats have complained that their oversight letters requesting information from agencies have gone unanswered since January, and the Trump administration has not yet explained the rationale.​

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ersight-requests-democrats-white-house-239034

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Elections have consequences. Maybe Dems will try harder next election.

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump should review all the requests and weigh them based on content. That being said the Dems have been so manic I'd be tempted to ignore them as well.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Easy to say from the sidelines. How about you consider that whoever is President (and in Congress) serves the citizens. ALL of the citizens. Not just those that voted them into office.

For someone who shows a decent level of intelligence, I find your comment ignorant.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obama issued that quote in 2009, why was it relevant when Dems won, but not when they lose?

I voted conservative (relatively speaking they are centrist Democrat) last election, we lost. I'm not going to like some of the policies that liberals enact, but we lost the election so they are going to do what they think is best.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Strawman argument. I never said it was appropriate or relevant.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    He also said

"If you want just 100 percent and the notion is that the winner really does take all—all the spoils—sooner or later that government is going to break down.”

and "Our politics are dysfunctional, and something that I said earlier serves as a warning to us: and that is, societies don’t work when political factions take maximalist positions. And the more diverse the country is, the less it can afford to take maximalist positions.”

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Yep, they will. Then the Republicans will try even harder the next election. And at some point, people will just start pulling out their guns and shooting each other, since that is the logical conclusion of treating other citizens as the enemy.

8. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Oh, ...now I see what '2nd Amendment remedies' means. :(

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Logical? Wow. I better go buy some more guns. It should be easy to stockpile since they are easier to acquire than books.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

You NOW get it?
    Anyways. Ready here :D

11. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Before it was a one sided remedy. If both sides engage to keep things fair, moving abroad maybe safer. Politically I mean.

12. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Soo,president Trump is planning to be the new American führer,or what?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

for the liberals? I agree

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Wow, Nancy Pelosi just went on TV demanding his tax returns. Get ready for the new MSM narrative, a week full of CNN, Wapo and NYT calling for his tax returns, because he must be hiding something. Looks like the Russian narrative is running out of steam...

15. samcraig macrumors P6

LOL - you're naive if you think the Russian narrative is running out of steam. This will haunt his entire Presidency.

16. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Precisely. At least that's what we're told in order to keep theirs on the plantation.

Every day there's a new HUGE breaking story that will bring this administration down, yet never pans out. I don't care either way as President Pence at least knows how Washington works, but you can only cry wolf so many times before a real bombshell falls on deaf ears.

17. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Maybe you missed this bit of real news: the investigations aren't over.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

just like Benghazi,, meh have at it.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

If the right can smile with glee because Hillary wasn't elected - then I'll happily enjoy Trump's karma for calling Hillary a criminal, that she should be locked up and his perpetuation of the birther movement.

This russian thing? It will haunt his entire presidency no matter what conclusion it comes down to.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

tweets haunt the clown, so it does not bother me, he campaigned for it and he earned it.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

And they will continue to do so. And as long as he pushes out his insanity, and the press (who SHOULD be more focused on actual issues) calls him out on it - he'll continue to claim the press is against him. He thrives on attention - both negative and positive. He can either play the victim or the hero because of it. Sad.