White House Releases "Principles" for Permanent Iraqi Presence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Nov 27, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/004772.php

Please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it does.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You don't think that huge bunker in Baghdad that purports to be an embassy was merely to cosset diplomats? Strategic presence for the foreseeable future, neatly slap-bang in the middle of some of the most valuable assets known to humanity, with the ability to militarily influence Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran and Turkey, protect the Straits of Hormuz, and not forgetting flanking forces in Afghanistan.

No wonder the Russians are getting antsy about the Caspian Sea states. Permanent interests, not permanent friends.

3. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

4. toontra macrumors 6502

I can't get beyond the thread title on this one. To combine the notion of "principles" with the US invasion, occupation and subjugation of Iraq is beyond a joke.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Hands up who DIDN'T see this coming...

I love the title on the Whitehouse site:

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Obviously a sign of how much winning we're doing. Maybe there's time yet to win even more in other Middle Eastern territories.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As most of us suspected, this was always the plan. A permanent presence means cheap oil for a very long time. Unbelievable.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Cheap ain't the idea. Making a profit off of it is, and $100/bbl works quite well for that notion. It's just about who's making the profit.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That too. This has been so transparent for anyone who was paying attention since the beginning. I hope the pro war crowd is pleased with themselves.

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Lee, of the many problems is, al-Maliki is not able to guarantee his part of the bargain. Without a deal like this, many were speculating the man's days were numbered. We really do not care who is in there, as long as he is able to stabilize things and get the oil moving. By signing this action, we have legitimized him as the 'grand pubah'. That has the potential for disaster written all over it.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'll believe it when I see oil start flowing in from there. They owe us a couple billions worth.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They do? Really? Can you please tell me why? Did they ask us to invade their country? I'd say they don't owe us one damn thing.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Every violation of the 17 UN resolutions against Sadaam was an "invade me now" invitation.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...have we never violated UN resolutions? Maybe someone should invade us.

You keep trotting out that tired excuse when you know it holds no water. Iraq was no threat to anyone and you know it.

15. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

That was one expensive **** sandwich they ordered.:rolleyes:

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Was that tidbit released by MiniPax?

To leekohler: MiniTruth has noted your ungood statements and general disdain for Big Brother, I mean, Fearless Leader, no wait, the Unitary Executive and will be contacting you regarding re-education shortly.

To Swarmlord (for serious): Our decision to invade based on Saddam's "invitation" has cost the US $800 billion and rising, 3500 soldiers' lives, a un-broken army, the world's respect, our influence in matters of state, and held forth the theory that "might makes right" - to much ridicule, regarding our "success".

That's not counting what our invasion has so far cost Iraq in terms of lives, infrastructure and civil society.

Has it been worth it? Did we get what we wanted? Did we get what we wanted for the Iraqis? Do we even know what we wanted? It seems our leaders wanted Saddam's head on a pike, and they got it. Now we're ending up paying for all the **** that came down with that decision, **** that our leaders weren't bothered to think about before making their decision. I submit: "This is war, stuff happens" and "You go to war with the army you have, not the army you want".

17. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, but they have no credibility left, little support, and very little time left in office. So they had to do something. Of course it was the plan the whole time. Most of us knew, or at least thought, that. We were called paranoid, and reminded that we still have soldiers in place like Japan and Vietnam and Korea. But this is a whole 'nother ball of wax. And of course, we're still hearing excuses and people defending it as if it was a good idea for everyone involved.

And I'm guessing you meant cheap for the oil companies, because it's only going to get more expensive for us, but they'll still be raking in record profits.

So has everything else about this war, but they just keep going.

It was a threat. To the oil companies. Remember the first thing the insurgents did was start blowing up the oil fields and pipelines. From the very beginning, they knew it too. Of course, now it's a disaster area and a real threat, so we obviously have to stay longer to make things worse. Because while we overstretch our military even further, we're almost to 2003 violence levels. As long as we change the rules for how we count deaths and injuries. Makes perfect sense.

Of course not, but that won't stop people from repeating the same old tired lines over and over again to try and defend this cluster****.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On the contrary, Iraq was an imminent threat to the petrodollar. A permanent US presence will certainly defer that threat for a while.

19. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

History will tell, but anything breaking up the axis of Islamic power in that region is something that will pay dividends for centuries - for us at least.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't see how the Iraq invasion broke an "axis" of power. First, because I don't think one existed, and second because I submit that the Iraq War has been a boon to the Iranians, who have ascended to the status of regional power.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In the same way deposing the Shah paid dividends we're reaping only now? Or the same way breaking up the axis of Soviet power in Afghanistan by arming and training bin Laden and others is paying off? Oh yes, those are fantastic dividends.

You just don't get that these acts you advocate don't produce the long-term results you profess to seek. Either that, or you just don't care about long-term results as long as your ideology wins right now.

22. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

History is telling us right now where this is headed, and it ain't pretty. You think it's going to suddenly become sunshine and lollipops and everyone will thank GW? Even if things do get better, especially if it's after we leave, history will not judge this war or this President kindly. No matter how many times you repeat that talking point.

You're kidding right? We didn't do that at all. If anything, we've done the opposite. Especially in Iraq, where it's become more theocratic, such as with women actually losing rights they once had under the secular Saddam regime. But the rest of the region is getting worse as well. The Taliban is back in power in Afghanistan, Pakistan is getting worse even while we continue to support their leadership, Iran became more of a threat the more we threaten them, the leadership gaining support among it's people because of our rhetoric, Hezbollah has gained support in the region, we're still creating more terrorists than we kill, and SA, one of the biggest offenders, is still our buddy for some reason. How can you possibly say that seriously?

We took a powder keg and threw dynamite at it, creating an uncontainable quagmire we still can't clean up, still trying to start more fights in places like Iran and Syria, and you actually still think we've done a good job? :confused: Really? Name one thing that's better.

23. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Really? News to Karzai I'm sure. A couple fanatics pop their heads back up and they're suddenly back in charge?

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, really.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,2214994,00.html

Do try to keep up, Swarmlord.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord