White House Spent $23M to Legalizes Abortion in Kenya

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Jul 22, 2010.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/21/us-aid-kenya-push-easing-abortion-laws-hit/

But wait didnt Joe just say it was a choice by Kenyans for Kenyans?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-white-house-m-spent-kenya-constitution-vote/

Ok, forget that there is even abortion language in the thing, why are we putting 23 million twords KENYA's constitution???

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Because we're the spawn of Superman (sarcasim)

We have to come to the rescue of everybody....EXCEPT OUR OWN !@#$% PEOPLE!! :mad::mad::mad:

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why spend $23M in Kenya (where it would go to waste) when we can spend it here? A Kenyian constitution would just be overlooked as soon as the next crazy guy comes.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Looks like a pretty low attempt to connect a few dots and undermine your opposition. Probably had a team of researchers looking through anything Kenya related to use against Obama since that's one of the racial tactics used against him.

Besides, any agreement that stops the spread of abortion is a nonsense. Need to get that repealed.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, there's this thing called foreign aid that we do. It helps build friendships and allies in case you need them in the future. Lots of nations engage in it.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I know this will probably blow your mind, and possibly enrage you beyond all sanity -- since you're so worked up over the $23 million we've apparently sent to Kenya -- but we've given Israel over $100 billion in recent years.

I won't even talk about what we give to Egypt, but suffice it to say that it's more than $23 million.

6. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

so by your logic, as long as you kill someone and cover it up so its not easily disovered its ok?

7. Queso macrumors G4

All Western democracies send political consultants to help governments in the developing world draft documents. The governments decide the policy, the consultants just help them with the wording to ensure there are no legal contradictions in how it is phrased. This practice has gone on for a very long time, and will continue long after this pseudo-crisis has blown over.

African governments welcome the help. The consultants welcome the experience. The donor countries welcome the relationships it creates. Everybody wins.

So what's the problem?

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

Its Illegal.

Source

But since its Obama, of course he can do no wrong.

I mean do you know how up in arms everyone would be around here if Bush had illegally sent 23 million to a foreign county?

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Actually, assisting a country in drafting a constitution in accordance with what they want is not assisting legislation supporting or opposing abortion. What's the alternative of not giving them assistance in the drafting of their constitution? What would that document look like? Why not help them?

(edit) I'd do backflips if Bush ONLY illegally sent 23 million, as opposed to an illegal war and billions per month, not to mention thousands of dead US soldiers.

10. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    For starters, you have no proof Obama did anything illegal. If you have it, lets see it.

Secondly, Bush murdered around 100,000 Iraqis. That's one teeny tiny reason why people hate Bush and are up in arms any time he shows himself in public.

11. Queso macrumors G4

No it isn't.

From your own quote:-

There is no lobbying occurring here, just organisational help. Lobbyists are a completely different beast.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think someone mixed up the difference between helping someone in the process of drafting a constitution and telling them what to write in it. :rolleyes:

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even large countries in the developing world have done this. For example on car emissions legislation the Indians and Chinese have copied the European legislation. And its very sensible as it makes it easy for everyone to compare their standards to ours and people have already done the R&D to make it comply with the EU standards so its easy to do the same for those markets.

I presume you were up in arms over aid under Bush which required the organisations it was given to didn't support abortion, condoms and clean needles.

14. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I think we should have spent the $23,000,000 in condoms for them.

People(potential parents) can barely afford to eat for themselves, and they pop out tons of kids then cry becasue they can't feed them all. Unfortunately more children does not necessarily equal more income anymore.

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is great news. Well done US for supporting a noble cause.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You seem to think that it was OK to spend billions in Iraq to kill hundreds of thousands of people, so I'm sorry, you have no moral high ground here.

17. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmmm

Not sure why we are spending money in Kenya when we have real unemployment rates near 20% here at home.

Also not sure why we are supporting abortions in Kenya when just about half of the taxpayers paying for this are against abortions in the first place :confused:

EDIt: Before you guys put a bunch of words in my mouth- I do not think we should be "spend[ing] billions in Iraq to kill hundreds of thousands of people" either.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say most people are against abortions. The thing is that abortion should be legal as fairly clearly the life of a foetus/baby who cannot survive outside of the womb is worth less than the life of the mother*. So having it legal is a necessary evil.

And the US seems to have done its best to have as high a rate of abortion as possible - its rate is significantly higher than Europe for example.

* = Countries where abortion is illegal often have extremely high levels of maternal deaths from having illegal and dangerous abortions, let alone the socio-economic issues.

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

20. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Ok, what's worse than 6 dead babies in bin bags?

1 dead baby in 6 bin bags.

21. Queso macrumors G4

American taxpayers are not supporting abortions in Kenya. The Kenyan Government is going to legalise abortion in Kenya, as it their right to do so if they and the Kenyan people wish it.

American taxpayers are funding some groups who are in many developing countries advising and supporting their Civil Service. Policy in Kenya is not being set nor influenced by these American funded NGOs.

And it should be pointed out where all this noise is coming from. The usual susupects :rolleyes:

22. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

You are one sick baby ! :rolleyes:

KGB

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congressional investigations of this manner of allegation against the Obama administration will be the new normal if the GOP manages to regain a majority in the HoR. I predict that they will develop amnesia regarding their feelings about holding investigations of a president during wartime from just a few years ago. Their devotees will happily lap up whatever rationale d'jour the leadership spits forth as to why investigations of the Obama administration are way more warranted than investigations of the Bush administration. If you don't believe me, look no further than certain members of the party who are making the argument -- with a straight face no less -- that the current occupant of the WH is a bigger threat to American national security than al Qaeda is (which is hilarious considering how recently al Qaeda was supposedly the biggest threat to America since Soviet Communism). Anyone that bad certainly needs to be investigated, right?

And the "liberal" media (can we dispense with that notion now after the Breitbart incident?) will enable them to do so.