White House threatens to veto children's health insurance legislation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 15, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hot on the heels of the release of Sicko, we have this.

putting the compassion back into compassionate conservatism, i see.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

ummm, you mean putting the conservative back in compassionate conservatism?

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

no, i don't mean that. the big objection seems to be the idea that people will leave private coverage to get public. now, i know all the arguments against that (many of which i don't agree with), but what if publicly-funded actually does work better? or does "free market" necessarily mean extra-governmental?

that's not even touching on any of the issues about the "pro-family" GOP allowing kids to be uninsured. one might argue that's not very compassionate.

finally, the measure uses an increase in sin tax to pay for it -- NOT a general tax increase. or shall i assume that funded programs no longer curry the favor of the "conservative" movement?

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

But doesn't that actually mean taking the "compassionate" out of compassionate conservatism? Sorry if i ma not making sense. My whole family is sick with fevers of 100+

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

maybe the phrase doesn't mean the same thing to both of us. i thought it was the idea of using fiscal conservatism in such a way that the general welfare is maintained. so imho, refusing to use a tobacco tax to insure children w/o health insurance, because of ideological reasons, is not compassionate.

6. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

well, of course bush never meant it. it was just a marketing ploy. hence my sarcastic reference to it.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Withdrawal of troops, stem cell research, and now this. The only 3 things Bush has vetoed, and 3 things that would save thousands of lives. This man is sadistic....

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

oh sarcasm! soory, feverish.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The veto wouldn't have anything to do with the excise tax regardless of what the money is supposed to be used for, eh?

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Of course they can't afford to give American children medical coverage because any spare medical money available has to go to the VA to help
    10's of thousands recover from their war injuries.

Does anyone else see how fked up all of this is?

I mean we're spending a " disclosed " $10 BILLION a month on the Middle East
    and only a very small portion of that is going to actually support our boots on the ground. The rest keeps flowing to contractor cronies.

12. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Worst President in US history. He has destroyed our country.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'll still reserve that dishonor for Herbert Hoover

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He was bad, but he wasn't this bad.

How anyone can defend this is beyond me. Yet still, they do. The Dems should be playing this out in the press, but as usual, they aren't. Evil thrives when the barely adequate do nothing.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Might be an easier sell if they didn't always go the "sin tax" route. Why soak people that don't necessarily have kids for every feel good kid program? Let's put a levy on things that people with kids purchase so that they can start paying for these feel good programs. Taxes on movie tickets (only for shows that are G and PG though), candy, diapers, baby food, etc. Let's see who whines the loudest if a fair tax like that was imposed. Then we'll see who's really "for the childen".

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Speaking of Sicko, when's Michael Moore going to do a special on morbid obesity?

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Be careful what you wish for.

18. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Couldn't resist a fat joke when Michael Moore is mentioned, could you? Typical right-wing response; attack the messenger, not the message.

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Our economy is still fundamentally strong, if we didn't engage our military in situations that weren't existence threatening we would have adequate military strength for national defense, there is still a strong core of Republicans who would vote for bush again if they could (unlike Hoover, who's own staff told him to vote for FDR). American prestige may be severly damaged abroad because of a silly war, but that's the worst of it. The rest of bush's bungles are politics as usual.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

what about the nearly unprecedented executive power grab? what about the unprecedented destruction of constitutional rights? is that politics as usual? even nixon had the good sense to resign.

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I never said W as smarter than any of his predecessors - well, maybe Harding.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is that even fair, I thought it was just bad timing. If you read the Wikipedia article that seem to be true.

23. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Please do not ever cite wikipedia to a professional history instructor again. It is the academic equivalent of bathroom vandalism. Thank you.

Regarding your post, there is no good timing for a calamity of that magnitude. What's at issue with Hoover's response to the GD was his completely incompetent "hand's off" approach.

24. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Give me a break. Would you take body building advice from Pee Wee Herman? Moore would be the first person to scream malpractice if any doctor suggested that his back or foot pain might be because of his weight.