White House to host tech censorship summit on Thursday

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
When conservative meme-maker Carpe Donktum got an invite to a White House summit, he thought the email might be spam.
“I asked around because I wasn’t sure if it was a mass marketing thing,” said the stay-at-home dad who lives in Kansas City, Missouri, declining to give his real name for fear of harassment against his family.

He churns out social media content that has been shared by U.S. President Donald Trump and last year won a $10,000 meme contest run by Infowars, the website founded by conspiracy theorist Alex Jones. His alias is made-up Latin for “seize the donkey,” referring to the Democratic Party symbol.

On Thursday, he will join other pro-Trump online personalities for what the White House billed as a gathering of “digital leaders,” where invitees expect to discuss alleged censorship by the tech giants.

Facebook Inc said it had not been invited, while Twitter Inc and Reddit declined to comment. Alphabet Inc’s Google did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-socialmedia/online-conservatives-expect-to-vent-social-media-frustrations-at-white-house-summit-idUSKCN1U519H

So this summit is basically going to be a bunch of alt-right trolls complaining they’re being censored on social media. Glad to see Trump is spending his time focusing on important stuff. :rolleyes:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh. More right-wing snowflakes crying because nobody wants to host their trash (content).

Hey idiots, how come someone from Canada understands The Constitution and rights surrounding freedom of speech better than you so-called patriots?
Republican here. There's snowflakes on both sides of the political spectrum. I'd like to think there's more than a handful of sane people on either side.

I've always told people who claim they're being censored to either go to China and see what real censorship and state hostility is like, or put up the funds and build their own social network.

My opinion on this: It's stupid and a waste of time. Fix the ****ing infrastructure.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
Republican here. There's snowflakes on both sides of the political spectrum. I'd like to think there's more than a handful of sane people on either side.

I've always told people who claim they're being censored to either go to China and see what real censorship and state hostility is like, or put up the funds and build their own social network.

My opinion on this: It's stupid and a waste of time. Fix the ****ing infrastructure.
Liberal Here :p

while I overall agree with the message you're trying to say, I don't particularly like using such comparisons. Yes, we have it so much better. But when state attempts to override rights, everyone should be asking for transparency, and holding politicians to account.

However...

It's hilarious that Trump and his sycopants cannot handle that free enterprising businesses don't want to do business with them. What are they going to do about it? If Trump administration passses any laws / regulations that compel private enterprise to do business with people they don't like, than they will be walking a definite fine line of over-reach. Especially if they cannot claim "public safety" as an excuse.

Get together. Make some memes. that's about the extent of any powers here. If the government steps in and starts mandating what businesses can or cannot do, that's way too authoritarian and borders on fascist abuse of power.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Liberal Here :p

while I overall agree with the message you're trying to say, I don't particularly like using such comparisons. Yes, we have it so much better. But when state attempts to override rights, everyone should be asking for transparency, and holding politicians to account.

However...

It's hilarious that Trump and his sycopants cannot handle that free enterprising businesses don't want to do business with them. What are they going to do about it? If Trump administration passses any laws / regulations that compel private enterprise to do business with people they don't like, than they will be walking a definite fine line of over-reach. Especially if they cannot claim "public safety" as an excuse.

Get together. Make some memes. that's about the extent of any powers here. If the government steps in and starts mandating what businesses can or cannot do, that's way too authoritarian and borders on fascist abuse of power.
But where is the evidence these people are being discriminated? The number of people who have been deplatformed is small and I don’t think any of them are at this summit.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
But where is the evidence these people are being discriminated? The number of people who have been deplatformed is small and I don’t think any of them are at this summit.
Further evidence of the nonsense of this summit and who is invited.

it more sounds like a pre-campaign meeting with "influencers" to try and formulate their social media plan, all being disguised under "summit" instead of campaign meetings.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
It’s tempting to smirk and look at this as mere looney tunes stuff, but I think it’s darker than that.

This is lurking dictator stuff here. This isn’t just a group of crazy individuals whining about why nobody wants to support their “alternate facts”. This has the potential to generate a coordinated plan of action. What that may be, I don’t know — but never underestimate Trump. (See: census question, executive action.)

I would bet this is trouble brewing, some kind of next-step assault not just on social media but on real news media and facts themselves. Don’t forget, this assault on reality has been going on since the Reagan era. (Why do you think we refer to it as a slow moving coup?) It may have taken 30+ years, but they’ve gotten so far as to have built an entire propaganda ecosphere, plausible enough sounding to appeal to plenty of angry, low information voters.

This is something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: VulchR

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Problem is only a segment of the GOP see it. Some of us are left wondering what's going on. Most of the world sees past the BS.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality

it more sounds like a pre-campaign meeting with "influencers" to try and formulate their social media plan, all being disguised under "summit" instead of campaign meetings.
Interestingly, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos and Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes we’re not invited.

On the other hand, those that were make up quite the Rogues Gallery.

duffman9000

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhh. More right-wing snowflakes crying because nobody wants to host their trash (content).

Hey idiots, how come someone from Canada understands The Constitution and rights surrounding freedom of speech better than you so-called patriots?
They complain, but there still are providers that will take their money. They forget the fact that some companies don't want to business with them. Who am I kidding, of course they don't forget. It just doesn't fit their agendas.

Reactions: JayMysterio

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
For those that thought it was just China and other countries that likes to censor and spy on their people. Dear Facebook, could you hold off on that chat encryption thing..?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
They complain, but there still are providers that will take their money. They forget the fact that some companies don't want to business with them. Who am I kidding, of course they don't forget. It just doesn't fit their agendas.
This is the thing they don't want to understand.

"we want free market! LETS THE FREE ENTERPRISE DECIDE THEIR FATE!"

Corporation decides they want nothing to do with their rhetoric and decides to not do business with them

"CENSORSHIP, YOU SHOULD BE FORCED TO GIVE US A PLATFORM!"

it's nonsense. Conservatives, You fought hard for the right for businesses to have the choice in who they do business with, and then when they chose not to do business with you, you throw a fit.

Simply put. As long as it's not the government acting, no violation of your rights is occuring. If a business doesn't want to deal with you, you are 100% free to open your own business, or find a business elsewhere who will take your money. You have no rights to do business with companies that don't want to carry your messages.

It's just a bunch of conservative snowflakes wanting rules for others but not for themselves. it's impossible to take their views seriously because it's clearly disingenuous and clearly hypocritical.

Reactions: duffman9000

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Government already does and the liberals and Democrats certainly don't have a problem with government restrictions if it benefits their ideology such as climate change. Not necessarily talking about free speech, but it does happen.

Reactions: PC_tech

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Part of the conversation is that are these companies platforms or publishers? The dominant social media companies must choose: if they are neutral platforms, they should have immunity from litigation from what users post. If they are publishers making editorial choices, then they should relinquish this exemption. They can’t claim that immunity is necessary to protect free speech, while they shape, control, and censor the speech on their platforms.

Last edited:

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Also sounds like they figure they'll get plenty of FREE COVERAGE by mainstream and social media...

Reactions: duffman9000

stylinexpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Pressure is on..
Let's see if Facebook folds.

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
It is not only the right wingers that have a problem with speech suppression.