White IPhone 4S Crashes Daily

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macdonaldj, Oct 20, 2011.

1. macdonaldj macrumors newbie

Received new phone on the 14th. Restored from backup. The at random times, phone would turn itself off and I couldn't get it started again with out doing a hard reset. So yesterday I decided to restore to factory defaults and manually setup the device and not do a restore. It still continues to crash at random times.

Under diagnostic and usage, there are tons of crash logs and low memory logs.

Anyone else having this experience? Should I just take it to the apple store and see if I can get a replacement?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

probably a faulty phone but don't blame it on the color

3. lexxi89 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow. Same thing is happening with my phone. Thought it might have just been the software.

4. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I would restore the phone and see if the problem persists. If it does, you need to take it to apple.

5. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Yep, exact same thing has been happening to my 32GB White iPhone 4S. Going to be out of town for the weekend (Blizzcon!), but I have a genius appointment for next Monday.

I already factory reset it and all of that and it's still randomly shutting down.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Same for me.

Happened to me 3 times since Friday.

I just take my phone out of my pocket and its dead.

Had to hold both buttons for about 10 seconds to get the apple logo back up.

I restored yesterday, so going to see how that goes.

7. TheMarque macrumors newbie

I also have a white 32GB iPhone 4S. Had it since the day it came out. It has crashed three times now. This is what happens: 1.) Go to read through old text messages, freezes up for about a minute, shuts off to white "loading circle" which is rotating, of course, but then that white circle freezes as well....next thing you know, it's back to the lock screen. Weird as crap. 2.) Same thing happened yesterday. 3) Just a few minutes ago I went to go delete some email and it was downloading new email while I was deleting old ones. It froze completely then did the same exact thing as described above. So strange and pretty annoying. Never seen this happen with an iOS device before.

8. fullojellybeans macrumors regular

This is requiring a dfu restore with no back up restoration. That'll fix that issue.

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Clear multitasking bar? Also hard resets help a little bit

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

11. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

White 64gb iPhone here. I never had my phone crash. I've had it since launch. Guess I got a good one.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

right because a paint color makes it immune to crashes.

13. littleebo356 macrumors member

this happened to me too yesterday, i had to plug it into my mac to restore it it. ntn is also a 32gig 4s white

14. flashflooder macrumors regular

My BLACK 64GB has rebooted 2-3 times since I got it on launch day due to these kernel panics, and I have tons of low memory logs.

Looks like Black isn't invincible after all...

Does anyone know if this is a software bug (I suspect it is), or a hardware fault?

15. hitteam macrumors member

hitteam

It's software bug, iOS 5 isn't fully cooked before they release it to the market, it has a lot of bugs. I think Apple will release a update in a month or two, since it's affecting a lot ppl, including me, which some of the buildin app will crash or freeze up sometime if i leave them running in the background for too long, i usually close the app and open it again will fix it. It's not a big issue for daily usage, but just a bit annoying when it happen to me.

16. littleebo356 macrumors member

Surely if it was a software bug then every single iphone 4s across the range would be having these problems .....

17. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

White 64gb here.
    It has crashed twice since launch day.
    I've had every phone since the 3G and I think I've had 2 crashes total between all of them.
    What is weird about the 4s is that it crashes when I am not using it.
    I'll go to check my email and nothing comes up.
    I need to hold both buttons for 10 seconds or so.
    Debating on whether to take to Apple Store or not.

I guess I should turn diagnostics on. I went to bed with around 95% battery and woke up with 50 so something is amiss.

18. NonWilling macrumors newbie

This is happening to my 3GS... do you guys think its really worth fixing? or should i just try to buy another one?:confused:

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Have you done a restore/set up as new?

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I laughed when I read that b.c that was the first thing I thought. Is it really b.c it's the white one! :p

21. cababah, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

cababah macrumors 68000

I had that same thing happen to my first iPhone 4S. In the crash logs do your see anything relating to a "kernel panic?" It is probably a faulty logic board component. Show the crash log to an Apple Genius and they should replace it.

Edit: My first iPhone 4S was also white...hmmm...could we be onto something here? Color correlation with hardware problems????? :D

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Blue cars have flat tires but red ones don't. So it is true the color of the iPhone makes a difference.:D

23. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000