White iPhone 5 Aluminum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LadyX, Oct 15, 2012.

1. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I have a white iPhone 5 and I was wondering, will the aluminum on the back change color? I'm asking because I had a white phone (not iPhone), the porous plastic on it changed into a brownish color. Will the silver aluminum on the back turn a darker color in time, or is it not possible?

2. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

How are we supposed to know we all just got the phone. I can tell u that I have had every iPhone n none has ever changed colors on me. They get scratched n scuff over time but relatively still look the same as when u bought it!

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its the same Aluminium they use on their MacBooks and i've not heard of them changing colour so you should be ok.

4. rmatthewware macrumors 6502

This isn't helpful. There may be some people who know how aluminum reacts to skin oils over time. You should refrain from responding if you have nothing of value to add.

5. richmds macrumors regular

I think as with any white device it will become dingy or off white over time, and the matte aluminum on back from oils and dirt. The chamfered edge may lose its mirror finish from hazing and scratches over time.

Not scientific but based on observations on white iPads and mirrored back iPods.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The grey part of the back is anodized aluminum which does not discolor, and the white above and below it is glass painted white ont he inside. it will not discolor nor will the white scratch off as its on the inside. If it does become a bit dinge from handling, just clean it; there are various cleaning products you can use, but I just use a damp cloth.

7. Fergie20 macrumors member

Non-ferrous metals can be cleaned if stained. I don't think you'll have any issues.

8. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

I wonder if the white plastic didn't change to a brownish color from the heat from the battery on intense charging/decharging? Maybe the white plastic singed ever so slightly? Just a thought...

9. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

No, I doubt that. A lot of the people I know who had the same phone I had (White BlackBerry Bold 9900), the bottom part of their phones under the keyboard, to be specific, changed to a brownish color. So it wasn't just me, it was everyone who owned the white one. We then found out that it was discoloration from the oils on our hands. But after reading people's comments here, I don't think the white iPhones will have this issue. I just wanted to make sure of that.

10. the caveman macrumors 6502

Should post in metallurgy forums then.

11. Koebot macrumors member

The aluminum is anodized so I highly doubt there will be any discoloration.

12. lamenramen macrumors regular

Aluminum was a poor choice for a backplate. It dents. Macbook pros all accumulate these dents if you transport the laptop anywhere. But I suppose it doesn't shatter. The old material was better b/c the backplate could be replaced for $7 shipped on ebay by removing 2 standard screws. It might take 5 minutes.
    You could drop and shatter 10 times a year before you would even remotely approach the price of trying to replace the aluminum backplate of the iphone 5. The backplate of the iphone 5 will require removing all of the internal components first.

13. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

It doesn't dent easily, so I don't think Apple's decision for having an anodized aluminum back is a bad one. It makes the phone look sleek.

14. honeygirl macrumors member

you can change a case or black what you want.it's ok

15. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

^^^THIS^^^

It WILL scratch and dent as aluminum, even anodized will show wear if not protected. Anything carried by humans on a day in and day out basis will show wear if not covered or protected.

It is a tool and to be used with reasonable care. If you are obsessed with it staying like brand new it is WAY too important of an object to actually use!:rolleyes:

16. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

No, I did not intend this to be like an "obsession" question of some sort or anything, I was just curious to know :)

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

It's ironic, and I'll admit I was one of the worst criticizers of the glass back plate, but now see it's advantages over the thin, scratch/dent prone, bendable shell of the 5.

18. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5's white parts are ceramic glass, which is quite durable as far as color stay is concerned.

The home button is plastic, so if anything is to get stained it will be this button. I noticed that really dirty people who own iPhones usually have some dirt around their home buttons.

I've dealt with such a phone and a good scrub with a Q-tip cleans the home button just fine. Any dirt that gets stuck to the phone can be wiped off with water and a microfiber cloth.