White iPhone 5 Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by magnificent me, Oct 13, 2012.

1. magnificent me, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

magnificent me macrumors member

magnificent me

I am thinking of getting a white iPhone 5 after hearing the scuff news about the black. A friend of mine said the white one has its own issues. He said his new iphone 5 has already got dirty (he has it since launch day in a bumper). I asked where and he said dirt and debris has started accumulating between the plastic rim and the glass of his iphone and home button.

I just wanted to see what white iPhone 5 users had to say about this.

Many thanks =)

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Mine looks brand new still, opened Sept. 23. I have a screen protector on it, and it runs naked other than that. I didnt have any scuffs, and haven't obtained any either.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes. White iDevices are prone to accumulating (impossible to remove) dirt.

Unless you're planning to get a case that covers the edges and the home button, it is hard to avoid this.

Seen it too many times on white iPhones, iPod and iPad

4. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Mine still looks brand new (got it the Monday after release) except for the small little nick I put on it from trying to plug the lightning cable in a few times and missing it lol but the white looks a ton better in person to me than the black but that's just my opinion

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Your friend needs to wash his hands. My white iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S both look clean as they did coming out of the box.

6. magnificent me thread starter macrumors member

magnificent me

Thank you guys for the reply. Accumulation of dirt within weeks would be annoying. He had a bumper on it and still got dirt.. Ugh decisions!

7. michaelmac3 macrumors member

Mine still looks great. No case or anything. Just some scratching on my apple logo, but those are expected.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Uh... not sure what your friend does with his phone but mine looks brand new and it was opened on launch day and ran naked for 2 weeks.

If you take care of your stuff, you should be okay.

9. magnificent me thread starter macrumors member

magnificent me

I think he was on about the small black dusts getting trapped in various places like the home button and edges.

10. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

No problems with dirt thus far.

I had the black, then returned it for the white. Both are actually lovely, but I'm glad I plumped for the white, it's really good looking.

11. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Your friend needs a bit of help with his personal hygiene then, had a white i5 since 9am on the 21st, carried in my hand and pocket every day since then.

Got a case and bumper for it last Tuesday, but still carry it bare most of the time. The phone is still pure white without any dirt accumulating anywhere.

Unless you are a mechanic who uses his phone while working on engines there is no reason for the phone to accumulate dirt.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If you scroll down the page, you will find a few discussions about how terrible the white phones are. They attract lint, chewing gum and scratch if touched with a finger.

13. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Love the iPhone 5 in White ... I am very happy. Have seen Black in store and have zero regret. Had a white 4s and like the black almost as equally but for the 5 White is the way to go.

Btw your friend has a launch day 5 in a bumper? I call BS ... NO cases in stock for the 5 in the Apple store yet. I was in their today!

14. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Why would I scroll down the page, I used a white iphone 4 for a year, I have now used my white iphone 5 for 3 weeks.

Surely that is enough time to make up my mind from personal experience? You know, like from actually using the phone, or can you only form an opinion because other people say so?

That's a strange way to go through life...:rolleyes:

15. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I have a white 4s I've used for a year in various cases. I wipe off my screen and cases fairly often with a damp microfiber cloth (phones are germ magnets) and I see/have no dirt in the edges or around the home button. It looks pretty much new. Why would iPhone 5 be any different?:confused:

16. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I had a white iPhone 5 from launch, now switched to black.

When I first got an iphone... went with white 3G, Black 4, White 4S, and initially white 5... I like black more for the 5 but was afraid of 'scuffs'.

Had the black for about a week now, it's great... no scratches, no extra protection.

17. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

It's not the phone, it's the user ;)

Some people have dirty habits :rolleyes:

18. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I had a white 4S for a year that never once accumulated dirt anywhere on it; neither has my 5. You might tell your buddy to consider washing his hands. ;)