White iPhone durability vs the black model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Oct 10, 2011.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

How does the white iPhone hold up in the long run? Is it more prone to showing its age in the long run compared to the black model? I have had black iPhones all along, and want to get the white one for my next, but only if it doesn't get faded easily or start showing the usual wear and tear faster.

Please share your personal experiences. I am especially looking for insight from people who have had the white iPhone 4 from earlier this year.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

3. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

Ive had both.. You can't see scratches on the white as easily on the black.. White always look shiny..

4. Makara macrumors newbie

Anyone who's ever owned a black car will tell you that black is one of the worst colours for showing up scratches on a polished surface.

I think white would be the hardest wearing for this reason. Unless you splash black paint on it...:)

5. zippaty macrumors newbie

I personally have had 2 black iPhone 4s' and both of them showed all the scratches. Both of them broke so for the third one I got it in white, and so far I am very pleased. The screen seems brighter and scratches and such aren't visible. A little dirt is visible but a q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol cleans it right up.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If you get a scratch on the white, it will have a mirror effect / reflection.

Also dirt is more apparent in the white particularly in the edges and around the home button.

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Stop being racist. The white and black iphones degrade equally.

8. jealousguy86 macrumors 6502

the more i hear about it the less concerned i am honestly. i remember when i got my 4 i was all gentle and nervous about having it out before i got a case. then i started taking the case off and letting it get scratches and dents and all that, honestly did not care as long as the phone was still operational. now my 4 has a crack in the screen and honestly, the phone has character and looks sorta neat.

with the aluminum in the 5 i'm almost excited to see the wear and tear after a year, i have a feeling it will look pretty cool. what's the point in stressing out over keeping it so freakin clean looking? it's a PHONE!

i remember part of the charm of me and my friends having phones when we were much younger was how we always had to put up with someone's phone either crapping out all the time, or just looking like garbage, haha.

9. apprunner macrumors regular

For iPhone 5, black will be waaaaay worse due to the anodized surface. The white has the same natural metallic as the iPad. Both my iPads don't have a scratch on the natural metallic and one is used by a 5 yr old without a case. The white 5 will easily look better in a year if they are naked.

10. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Just go to the apple store and compare them, well that's what i did. I found that the white iphone 5s look a lot cleaner and newer when compared to the black iphone 5s.

11. ar93 macrumors member

even though theyre both the same i believe that the black iphone 5 will show more damage since the coating on it comes off showing the shiny aluminum underneath. I myslef have had the white iphone 5 since the 21st and it is still holding up, no scratches anywhere.:cool:

12. Rigby macrumors 601

I just took my black 5 on a trip, shoved it into and out of a not-quite-fitting plastic car mount (originally designed for the iphone 3!) dozens of times, pushed it around on tables etc. The result? Nothing, not a single visible scratch or scuff. I think the anodized surface is much more robust than many people think.

13. IndoX macrumors 6502

The actual aluminum doesn't scratch very easily and is durable. What scuffs easily is the polished edges.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

Well, in my case the edges show no sign of scuffs or scratches either. I think most of the problems people are having are little nicks out of the box. This is probably related to some manufacturing problem (perhaps they are caused by dust particles from the machining that cling to some of the frames and prevent the coating from bonding with the aluminum in these spots).

15. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

I bought a white one for exactly that reason, but I imagine it would be pretty simple to refinish the chamfered edge to a silver mirrored band on a black phone with judicious use of 1200 grit wet or dry on a glass surface and then a final polish with Flitz. That might look rather nice actually.

16. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Im thinking we will see a lot of 'modded' black models where people have polished them down to the bare metal. Im betting some of them will even look pretty awesome.

17. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I've had my black since launch and it has been in a snugg case since day one.

It arrived with a scratch on the bezel and after 12 days it now has about 5 more marks which are showing the raw aluminium behind. If it does that in a case after 2 weeks I can't even imagine what it will be like in a year of naked use.

Thoroughly disappointed cos the actual aluminium looks awesome, shame the polished edge is so weak.

I'm arranging a return to then order a white with higher capacity.

18. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yep just like a black car

19. TheDLade macrumors member

This is just really stupid, both of them are very durable, they use the same materials, are both anodized, the only difference is a colour.....do the math :rolleyes:

20. apprunner macrumors regular

The white is not anodized. It relies on the natural metallic color thus more durable.

21. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

The slate on the black means its easy and prone to stretches. So easy. Which is why I swapped to white.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have had the same experience....no scratches or scuffs. It seems like the people who are having issues are the same people who had damaged phones out of the box. I think they were manufacturing defects exactly like Rigby described. Aside from those, everyone else who got a perfect one has seemed to stay that away unless they actually damaged it in a noticeable way.

23. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Actually it is anodized. Just not dyed. So-called "clear" anodize. And a rather thin layer, on both white and black. Definitely much thinner than I would have specified on such a device.

Bare 6061 aluminum will discolor if handled with sweaty hands.

24. TheDLade macrumors member

I know for a fact that it is anodized, it has paint that is just the silver variant to the slate. They both scratch the same, the white is just less painful to the eyes.

25. apprunner macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. Nice to know