White Iphone users: discoloration + readability?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solaris7, Jan 2, 2012.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I am about to purchase the iphone 4s and am really digging the white color. I have used only black apple products (black macbook, black ipod touch, black ipod nano) and am interested in knowing how distracting (if at all) the white color is on the phone.

Is the white color a big issue when it comes to extended reading, especially with web pages that have white backgrounds?

For those of you who have had the phone for a long time, have you seen any discoloration yet?

Thanks a lot!

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've had my white 4S for about 2 months now, and no discoloration yet.

It also doesn't distract at all from readability. It's fine.

3. LatinaC09 macrumors regular

LatinaC09

I have a white iPhone 4 and there's no discoloration at all. The phone is in mint condition looks like I bought it yesterday (bought it in may). And no white is not distracting when you're looking at web pages and other things, at least not to me anyway.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

We've got both black and white, and there's zero difference.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I had a black iPhone 4 and now have a white 4S. Readability on both was fine. I got my 4S on launch day and there's no signs of any discoloration.

6. MrKennedy macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Had my white 4S for 2 months and it looks just as clean as the day I bought it.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Has discoloration been a documented issue? I know there have been complaints of it getting "dirty" faster (which I feel is likely not true, it's just more noticeable). I will say my sag smudges show up a lot better.

8. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

The white paint is under the glass, how could it get dirty? And other than the
    black screen itself, fingerprints don't show on my white phone.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not about the paint getting dirty. It's about the phone, in general. Dirt gets stuck in nooks and crannies, and it is easier to see. Also, as I mentioned, smudges on the screen are easier to see. It's kind of like comparing a white shirt that you wear for a week straight to a black shirt you wear for a week straight. I guarantee the white shirt is going to look far dirtier than the black one.

10. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I've had my iPhone since Oct. 21 and I've had zero problems with readability or discoloration.

/thread.

11. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

White 4S here, have had it for 2 months. You won't have a problem with discoloration, but you will have a problem with dirt getting stuck around the edges of the home button as well as the edges of the glass. (Between the glass and the rubber border).

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Unless I have a completely different iPhone 4S than you, there isn't any rubber in the iP4S.

14. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Plastic / Rubber whatever it is

15. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I thought there was some discussion about the flash on a white vs. black phone... The white being worse since it reflects the light and can wash out photos... (or do I have that backwards)

16. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The only plastic is the home button. The edges of the iPhone are just folded over glass to make them more rounded and less sharp.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I haven't had this problem either.

19. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

It's not an issue...buy what you like & enjoy!

20. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Well yes, the white shirt would be dirtier because a cotton (or similar material) shirt will absorb dirt more than glass. I will however agree that when dirt and dust gets stuck in the nooks and crannies of the iPhone that it will show more on a white phone. However, the lack of fingerprints and smudges will make up for that.

21. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yup this.

When dirt gets stuck in the white iPhone it's far more noticeable. But that's not to say you can't see dirt at all in the black iPhone, if you look specifically for it you'll see it.

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

which is why I use an Apple bumper to conceal the glass border area, keeps its clean.

23. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Indeed. I ordered a bumper, should get it by weekend.

24. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I guarantee you, the black phones look messier. I've had both and the black shows fingerprints everywhere, the white only in the screen. Ive had a white iPhone since April. It is not dirty or discolored.