Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
I was possibly deciding on trading my black iPhone for a white one. I always thought about it but now with IOS 7 I am definitely considering it. As much as I love the black, its nice having a clean phone that maches the UI of the software as well. First off, is it worth it? Secondly, I heard people saying the black is better performance wise and faster and such. If this is true I obviously will not be doing it. Which led me to posting this thread!

Thanks all,

--Nick

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I was possibly deciding on trading my black iPhone for a white one. I always thought about it but now with IOS 7 I am definitely considering it. As much as I love the black, its nice having a clean phone that maches the UI of the software as well. First off, is it worth it? Secondly, I heard people saying the black is better performance wise and faster and such. If this is true I obviously will not be doing it. Which led me to posting this thread!

Thanks all,

--Nick

You really think the colour of the glass determines a phones speed?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As much as I love the black, its nice having a clean phone that maches the UI of the software as well.
I made the UI match the clean black of my black iPhone 5. :D

But then I'm partial to black and absolutely love the whole black slab 2001 monolith look. Kind of hard to get that with a white iPhone and a multicolor pastel interface.

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
No idea, I didn't believe it of course, but I still included it in the post to see what others thought of this. You never know!

All the colours are exactly the same performance wise. They all use the same processors, same everything, they are identical in every possible way apart from the colour.

The only thing you may notice (although highly unlikely) is that the black iPhone/iPad is more likely to overheat than the white iPhone/iPad when out in bright sunshine for long periods of time.

NickyLanzz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
East Coast
All the colours are exactly the same performance wise. They all use the same processors, same everything, they are identical in every possible way apart from the colour.

The only thing you may notice (although highly unlikely) is that the black iPhone/iPad is more likely to overheat than the white iPhone/iPad when out in bright sunshine for long periods of time.

Which would make 100% sense and I can understand that obviously since its black.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The UI looks fine on a black iPhone 5. The reason why Apple showed iOS 7 on a white iPhone is because they revealed the iPhone 5 with a black variant. They like to mix it up.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I was possibly deciding on trading my black iPhone for a white one. I always thought about it but now with IOS 7 I am definitely considering it. ...
I suggest you wait until it's time for you to replace your iPhone and then decide what color you want based on iOS (and how you have it set up) and what color phones are available.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I recently sold my black iphone 5 32gb to get a white 64gb and I could hardly notice any difference in terms of performance. I didn't do it for the ios 7 tho, it was more because I want a phone with larger capacity and I always like the white one better.

Yea, sure on the keynote it looks like white matches the ios 7 better. However, I think the reason is that they used a very bright and colourful background. If you changed the background picture to something less colourful, you might have a different opinion on that. :)

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Given how much this topic has been discussed over the last four years, I can only imagine the angst Apple will cause with the addition of more colors in the upcoming models.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
This again? Christ! Girls get white, guys get black. Is that what you wanna hear? If not reverse the order of what I said until you're satisfied.

----------

But then I'm partial to black and absolutely love the whole black slab 2001 monolith.

You and me both buddy. The black 5 reminds me of a stealth bomber. The color scheme is identical.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
okay I found the black iPhone on Apple site (I mean iOS 7 page) :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 8.53.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 8.53.20 AM.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 399

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I recently sold my black iphone 5 32gb to get a white 64gb and I could hardly notice any difference in terms of performance. I didn't do it for the ios 7 tho, it was more because I want a phone with larger capacity and I always like the white one better.
This is always something that has confused me here on the forums as it seems to be contagious. If you liked the white one better, why did you buy the black one to begin with?

I like the black iPhone. I liked it better than the white iPhone before I even bought my black iPhone. What I did NOT do was buy a white iPhone, then turn around and get the black iPhone I originally wanted.

That's just insane! Why?!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
White phone with a white UI, be sure to wear a white blazer and u will be totally coordinated!

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
This is always something that has confused me here on the forums as it seems to be contagious. If you liked the white one better, why did you buy the black one to begin with?

I like the black iPhone. I liked it better than the white iPhone before I even bought my black iPhone. What I did NOT do was buy a white iPhone, then turn around and get the black iPhone I originally wanted.

That's just insane! Why?!

they only had black stock for 32gb when i bought the phone and i did not want to wait. it's a pretty simple explanation.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
they only had black stock for 32gb when i bought the phone and i did not want to wait. it's a pretty simple explanation.
I see. Different situations I guess.

I was willing to wait for mine. I didn't have to though thankfully. I got what I wanted (64GB, black) when Apple opened online preorders. Had they not had it though, I would have waited until they did, as anything less wasn't what I wanted.

That's just me though. I don't like getting less than exactly what I want, even if I have to wait longer to get it. Everyone's different though.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I see. Different situations I guess.

I was willing to wait for mine. I didn't have to though thankfully. I got what I wanted (64GB, black) when Apple opened online preorders. Had they not had it though, I would have waited until they did, as anything less wasn't what I wanted.

That's just me though. I don't like getting less than exactly what I want, even if I have to wait longer to get it. Everyone's different though.

that's what i would usually do, but i needed a phone urgently at that point. could have bought a dumbphone first and waited. oh well.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Its what you prefer mate at the end of the day. I preferred the white so I bought the white. It just so happens quite a few people reckon the new OS suits white better, but I wouldn't be changing the colour even if I hadn't chosen white in the first place. Its up to you though :)

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012

Incorrect the white iPhone performs better

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Heat dissipation, in electronics, white will always outperform black.

Just like a white car has been proven to outperform an identical black car.

Same way that Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Brazilian Ronaldo

Did you not read my above post?

"The only thing you may notice (although highly unlikely) is that the black iPhone/iPad is more likely to overheat than the white iPhone/iPad when out in bright sunshine for long periods of time."

And the white does not perform any better. There is just a slightly lower chance of it overheating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.