White macbook 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram faster than New Aluminium Macbook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andygabriel, Feb 1, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

Hi everyone.

I would like your opinions about Macbooks. I have a White Macbook 2.4GHZ, 4GB Ram and i would like to know if the new aluminium macbook is faster than mine. My friend just got the new aluminium macbook but it seems like there's no big difference in performance apart from the screen.:)

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Will be slightly faster, by slightly - I mean literally slightly (if that makes sense).

The new alu macbooks have DDR 3 ram.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Just Google the models for reviews and you'll see that it should be MORE than slightly better. All the insides are different... better CPU, higher clock speed, DDR3, better graphics card. If you look up the benchmarks you will see there quite a difference.

Edit: Google is your friend!! :) http://www.macworld.com/article/136251/2008/10/macbookgraphics.html

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

5. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

But my white macbook seems faster to open applications

6. Kalison macrumors member

Maybe, maybe.... in general applications you might find yours feels faster... but load up one game, and you will be left in the dust. I don't mean a couple Frames per second either... he will annihilate you.

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

That all depends on the hard drive and how much full it is (if I'm not mistaken, a hard drive 20% full will be faster than one 80% full..) But the new MacBooks have the advantage of the graphics.

8. Kalison macrumors member

Ah yeah I forgot to mention the HDD. That will matter some. However if his friend just got his, I would hope he did not fill it up THAT fast :)

I recently upgraded to a 500gb Seagate. I have more iTunes media than the stock 160gb drive that came with my AMB could hold, so I guess I have no room to talk :p

9. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

The new aluminum MacBook's would be a lot faster in gaming/3d. For processing stuff, its not much of a difference since only the FSB is upped, and nothing else.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yeah I guess Snow Leopard is the only thing that will make anything REALLY faster, as it will take advantage of the more advanced hardware in the new MacBooks.

What impressed me was the SpeedMark 5 test (http://www.macworld.com/info/speedmark.html) and the score for the Unibody MB 2.4 (212) is very close to the Unibody MBP 2.4 (215), which is quite impressive.

13. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Thx everyone. So now ive decided to keep my white macbook. Anyway i also think that the white looks better than alu.

I think with its specs my white macbook will last for at least another 2 years since i dont play games and only use to browse the net, word processing and ilife 09 and itunes.

14. Doju macrumors 68000

Pssh, it'll last you another five if that's all you do. :p

Good luck!