White MacBook 3,1 charges battery but can't run of it.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iDutchman, Nov 19, 2013.

1. iDutchman, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have a rather weird issue: The MacBook 3,1 (mid 2007) model sees and chargers the battery just fine. I can see the cycle count etc.
    However, when I remove the AC charger, the MacBook shuts down. It also can't boot of only the battery alone. It seems, the MacBook can't run of just the battery,

Does anyone know what might be the issue?

A summary of the problem:

* Macbook sees the battery, will charge the battery until full but will shut off immediately if it is unplugged from the AC adapter.

* Macbook will not boot up unless plugged in.

* Battery shows up fine in the computer and fully charged. I can run another laptop off of the battery and it works fine.

* If I put a new battery into the broken MacBook I have the same issues.

* I tried swapping out magsafe adapters and same problems.

* Resetting SMU and PRAM does not help.

Thanks!

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I'll go with dead/dying battery it has just enough life left the OS sees it but not enough to actually run the machine.

3. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, that's unfortunately not the case. The battery installed has 97% health and 350 cycles. The battery functions flawlessly in a similar Mac.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well then it is the machine on its last legs then...

5. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a biggie either way (It's a old machine I stil had laying around). But it runs perfect otherwise. It can still be used. We'll see.

Maybe, it's still fixable (by me - no costs)

6. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

97% and 350 cycles doesn't even sound right. I suspect that either you need a new battery or your logic board is going out.

7. trevm999 macrumors member

I'd say it is a problem with the logic board. If you want you can disconnect all unnecessary cables/components from the logic board and see if something else is causing a problem, but most likely it is the logic board itself.

8. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I thought as well. I just used the MacBook 3,1 battery in another Macbook (mid 2009 model <-- last non-unibody one) and it ran for 4 hours straight. So, the battery is indeed 97% healthy.

Hell, the MacBook 5,2 (mid 2009) has a battery of with 799 cycles en 94% health.

--

I'll assume it's the logicboard at this point as well, so I will open it up.

9. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    It sounds like there may be a problem with the connection between your battery and your Mac's logic board. Apple may be able to diagnose the problem and give you a quote for repair expenses, if any.