White MacBook (early 2008) Running Hot with HP Photosmart Apps

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PhilW, Feb 27, 2009.

1. PhilW macrumors newbie

Hi,

Simply, my White (early 2008) MacBook 4.1 is struggling to run HP Photosmart Studio, an app that was bundled with the HP C4280 which came with my MacBook. (spec = 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 17GB remaining on the hard disc). With the app open and not being used for anything I am getting the following temperature readings:

CPU Core A: 71 (degrees C)
    CPU Core B: 71
    Main Heatsink 1: 58
    Main Heatsink 2: 58
    Enclosure Bottomside: 26
    The cooling fans are running noisy (5500 rpm).
    My house temperature is cool (think winter in the UK).

When I try to edit a scanned image (even a credit card sized image scanned as a JPEG at 200 dpi) the software often freezes for at least half an hour before I have to Force Quit.

I haven't had the MacBook misbehave before when running iMovie, iDVD and other intensive apps. I have downloaded the latest version of Photosmart from HP's website and the problem remains.

Also, I have a 1.66 GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM Mac Mini that doesn't seem to have the same problem, although I haven't pushed it as hard I have the MacBook.

What is the problem?? Is there a problem??

2. WorldTravel26 macrumors newbie

WorldTravel26

I'm having the exact same issue, except when I run HP Photosmart Studio, I am getting temperatures at 90 degrees C and my fan is spinning at about 6000 rpm! (My Macbook is a bit older than yours, maybe that's why mine's running hotter). I'm also running the latest version of the software and I have the latest driver installed for my HP printer.

Anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one experiencing this :). I would assume that the software and the Macbook just don't get along well.

Oh well, maybe I should get a Canon printer! :D