White Macbook (non-unibody) battery troubles: 20 hours of life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by falkon, Nov 29, 2010.

1. falkon macrumors newbie

So i have the mid 2007 (i think) non unibody white macbook.

Yesterday after some normal usage i noticed the battery had only 30 minutes left even though it had 94% left, also the Service battery Now message had appeared

This was odd cause even though my mac is quite old a few days before the battery was lasting a normal 4-5 hour charge.

after leaving it charging over night after trying to recalibrate the battery(i dont think it actually ran all the way down as it lasted minutes while not on battery power even though it was 99%), resetting the pram, nvram and SMC, the battery now reports 20 hours of life left, but the "Replace now" message came on.

now obviously i would be ok with 20 hours of life left, but its had 20 hours left for 30 minutes an hasnt decreased :(

Ive googled and searched the forums but couldnt find an answer ...

coconut battery reports

current charge - 65336 mah
    max charge - 65336 mah

current capacity - 65336 mah
    max capacity - 5020 mah
    1301%

model - macbook5, 2
    age - 18 months
    loadcycles - 273
    temp 30.6 degrees C
    power usage - 11.0 watt

more specs
    OSX version 10.6.3
    2ghz intel core2 duo
    2gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

possible problems?

my install of snow leopard is fairly recent and ive seen accounts of stuff like this happening (i googled a lot after getting this problem)

a piece of my L bracket broke off after the same time the problems started to happen(yesterday), it was the little metal "nub" that pushed the spring dealio on this side of the battery up

i replaced the HDD with a larger/faster one and it has been in for a while (the battery took a little hit when it was first installed but otherwise it was fine)

so im stuck, do i need to go to the nearest apple store (far away) to have it checked out or is it another issue?

2. simsaladimbamba

The battery seems to be on its last legs, otherwise it would report the above numbers. My iBook did the same and I suddenly had 10 times of its original capacity while only lasting 30 minutes of real, low CPU usage.

3. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Indeed I do concur. Your battery is probably on the way out. But just to make sure, I would calibrate it. And not just once either. Calibrate two, possibly even three times to see if it makes a difference. And if it doesn't, just use your battery till she dies haha