White Men With Guns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by anjinha, Oct 11, 2010.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I thought this article would be a good starting point for a discussion: http://open.salon.com/blog/keka/2010/10/10/white_men_with_guns

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

obvious troll is obvious.

Salon also had a pretty good review of Secretariat recently :rolleyes:

EDIT: Please don't let racist idiots like the bumper-sticker guy shape your view of conservatism. They are not conservatives. They are ignorant people looking for a bogey-man to fill some sort of warped void that exists in their mind and heart.

I also would like to remind everyone that the vast majority of conservatives would sooner beat that guy up than sport a bumper sticker so ridiculous.

3. Queso macrumors G4

A powerful read, although obviously I hope he's wrong about the future.

4. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Why am I being a troll? A friend showed me the article and I thought it was interesting so I posted it.

And while that may or may not be how most conservatives think the truth is that a lot of them do.

5. 184550 Guest

Exactly. Whenever I see people with extreme left, extreme right or just plain stupid political bumper stickers, I don't really think of them being apart of a party. I just think of them as stupid.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

That is so far from the truth. Out of all the interwebs I have only seen 3 or 4 people on these boards with views even REMOTELY similar to those. Of my entire life, I have never met anyone that holds views like that. None of my family, both sets of grandparents included think like that, and they are all very conservative. A few of the conservatives I know even voted for Obama (myself included), partly because I thought it would be a neat way to see how far our nation has come in the past 50 years.

A TRUE statement would be "And while that may or may not be how most conservatives think the truth is that some of them do."

Probably about the same percentage as the eprcentage of normal peaceful liberals to the wild-eyed maniacs who were holding up dummies of WBush being burned in effigy, or the people that were publicly decrying WBushs "hatred of black people", or the people blogging or writing about how they would love to kill WBush if they had the chance.

There are lunatics, no one can or would deny that! But to say that "a lot" of them think like that is a vast overstatement. You simply only hear about these people from the media. Of course the media is not going to show you the calm every-man/woman that simply supports the conservative ticket. That's just boring.

This^^^

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Historically, particularly during times of economic turmoil, the "white men with guns" have needed to demonize a particular group to somehow feel empowered and better about themselves. It's not a conservative thing...it's an ignorant poor white trash thing. But this has occurred throughout human history. Happened in Germany post WWI among white men with foreskins.

"The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour on it, the more it will contract." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

"Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education; they grow there, firm as weeds among stones." - Charlotte Brontë

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The original author is ridiculous. "Lost my appetite over it". Yeah right. It's a sticker on the back of some white-supremesist who most likely wouldn't shoot someone even if he had the chance. Prolly shoots cans for fun, 'bout it. And to top that I am sure this is the first time they have seen a bumper sticker like this. I live in Texas which is supposed to be backwards compared to the rest of this board and the world and I have never seen a bumper sticker like that. Mostly see 9-11 stickers, Bush-Cheney tags people forgot to take off and a few No Obama stickers as far as "extreme" conservatism goes.

What should of happened was the author thinking "man that's a dumb sticker... now do I want a number 1 or a number 3 with a coke...hmm"

Writing an article about it was a waste of time but that's the news guys. Unfortunately a lot of us, including myself at times, fail to realize how the real world reacts in comparison to media. If I hear the word "ni**e* I simply shake my head and maybe if I know the person tell them not to say that around me please. The media on the other head would post up outside their house and try to start a money wasting court case about it.

We have got to start paying attention to real life and leave the media alone or it's going to divide us all.

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Some of the truest words spoken here.

In my years of living in DC, Montana, and Minnesota (Both conservative and liberal districts) I have never seen any bumper sticker, sign or anything even remotely as ignorant as the one in question.

When I DO see stupid bumper stickers that say stuff like "Nobama" or "Republicans for voldemort" I shake my head because they are just playing the game. The media gets off whipping us into a tizzy.

What really got my goat about the OP was how it was presented as though only conservatives can behave in such a manner. Yeah, the "birther" crowd is crazy and ill-informed. But c'mon, have you forgotten the "truther" movement? JUST as stupid.

10. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

How did I do that?

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I go along with Matt and renewed. Sorry, but the idea that political conservatives are racist is just dumber'n dirt. Total absence of rational thought.

A fella can't be playing with a full deck, to build such a generalization off of one bumper sticker.

I've lived in Texas, Florida, Georgia and Michigan. FWIW, the worst racism I've ever seen was among the UAW people in Michigan. Far worse than among the backwoods rednecks in the Florida panhandle.

Some racism? Sure, here and there. You go down around Vidor, Texas, and you'll find a fair amount. Heck, say it's maybe a thousand such KKK sympathizers (which I really doubt). So what? Texas is over 20 million people. Big effing deal.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think there is still widespread racism present in the discourse of many conservative political pundits and their listener base. The biggest conservative talking heads have all let loose with racist comments at one point or another in recent memory. It's ugly, no good, and a relic of the fact that the present day 'conservative' bloc is a creation of the wilful exploitation of racism. Racism was used to get votes in the creation of the southern strategy, and in the selling of 'states rights' as a way for states to retain the racist policies that the federal government was removing.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/08/12/the_racists_return_106721.html

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The biggest-audience right-winger is Limbaugh, and I've yet to hear any sort of racist comment from him. By and large, he speaks in the same view as MLK as to judging by character, not by color. That view has always made sense to me, going back sixty years to when I was just a teeny-bopper.

And that fits the vast majority of small-c conservatives I know.

And don't bring up the Philly QB thing. His comments were about the newsies' behavior, not about race. That whole deal was so twisted away from reality that it's painful. But, newsies get paid good money to be stupid.

14. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Comparing Rush Limbaugh to Martin Luther King Jr. Wow.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Comparing a certain viewpoint. Not the person as a whole. Don't take things out of context and try to stir the fire for no reason.

16. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Uh... what? :confused:

“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?” - Rush Limbaugh

“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.” - Rush Limbaugh

“The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.” - Rush Limbaugh

"They’re 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?" - Rush Limbaugh

"Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." - Rush Limbaugh (to black caller)

"I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark." - Rush Limbaugh

"Let the unskilled jobs that take absolutely no knowledge whatsoever to do — let stupid and unskilled Mexicans do that work." - Rush Limbaugh

17. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

About how Limbaugh is a complete bigot? Texas must have gotten even more backward in the last ten years or so.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A more appropriate sticker might have read:

"This country was built by white men with small-pox infected blankets, guns, and the blood, sweat, and tears of others."

19. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much. :D I wonder how America would be like today if we didn't have that fancy 1600s biological warfare?

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I said a certain viewpoint. Not the WHOLE person which would include other viewpoints. But very mature and sound argument on your part by bringing in the whole entire state of Texas as being "backwards" because of a comment of mine you failed to keep in context.

Next time just attack me personally as it would make just as much sense as attacking a whole state because you misread or misunderstood something.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Have you forgotten? Its ok to stereotype Christians, Texas, and conservatives :p

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Yea, it is actually.

Because people who identify as such are typically the only people who are stereotypes.

"Are you Democrat or Republican?"

"Im American. Now get off my lawn."

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

24. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Mainly because those are the groups that demand that all its members march in lockstep and not go against the flow.

I.e. they stereotype themselves. Deal.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

of course:cool: