White middle school football players suspended for simulating sex acts on black players

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
This is disgusting. Do these kids not have parents teaching them any morals, and right from wrong?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5006145/Video-shows-white-students-simulating-sex-black-peers.html

A Virginia middle school suspended its football team's season after video emerged of some white players pinning down black players and simulating sex acts while shouting racially charged comments.

The clip, which was posted on Snapchat, was filmed in the locker room of Short Pump Middle School in Henrico and showed the white athletes leaning over the black players on a bench and on the floor while shouting in their faces.

The video, which was shot on October 13, starts off with text that reads: 'Ever wonder what happens in a football locker room?'

'What's up with you and the blacks?' one student can be heard saying in the clip.

Another comments: 'We gonna f*** the black outta these African-American children from Uganda.'

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Suspended season? What about expelling the miscreants who did this? I grew up in Virginia in the 60's and 70's - things were bad back then but over the years I thought we had come to a point when overt racism and racist aggression were declining. Then I hear this kind of BS going down, Charlottesville etc.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Suspension from sports doesn't seem good enough here. The students AND THEIR PARENTS should be marched up publicly to address what exactly they were doing and why it was wrong or face expulsion. Let them wear the shame of their actions in public.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Suspension from sports doesn't seem good enough here. The students AND THEIR PARENTS should be marched up publicly to address what exactly they were doing and why it was wrong or face expulsion. Let them wear the shame of their actions in public.
No need to go overboard with the parents and public shaming aspect. It isn’t a given that the parents are racists, and they themselves may be horrified and angered by these acts.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Is this sort of crap happening more, or are we just hearing about it more because it's on everyone's radar?
I'd say it's a combination of both. I brought it up elsewhere because a thread was started about new mounds of racism directed towards white persons, while inside a few went with racism isn't that bad for black people anymore. Coincidentally bouts of young persons openly ( the happy white cheerleaders chanting the N word was just a bit disturbing to me ) expressing their racism on social media, shows that racism is being kept alive & well, and seemingly encouraged for the world to see.

Some would say it's a reflection of our current cultural & political climate.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'd say it's a combination of both. I brought it up elsewhere because a thread was started about new mounds of racism directed towards white persons, while inside a few went with racism isn't that bad for black people anymore. Coincidentally bouts of young persons openly ( the happy white cheerleaders chanting the N word was just a bit disturbing to me ) expressing their racism on social media, shows that racism is being kept alive & well, and seemingly encouraged for the world to see.

Oh. You just did a, “some say.”

;)

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Suspended season? What about expelling the miscreants who did this? I grew up in Virginia in the 60's and 70's - things were bad back then but over the years I thought we had come to a point when overt racism and racist aggression were declining. Then I hear this kind of BS going down, Charlottesville etc.
Wasn’t Virginia like one of the last States to integrate? I don’t think the State has a great history when it comes to civil rights.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Disgusting. Good to know they've been suspended. Sadly, that type of verbal behavior is often the result of how children were raised. As for the act he committed, I suppose living in a glass closet has served him well.

Feels weird liking that post. All very depressing in reality. Thanks though.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Wasn’t Virginia like one of the last States to integrate? I don’t think the State has a great history when it comes to civil rights.
That's absolutely true. But I lived there on and off from the early 1960's to about 2000 and visit every so often because I have family there. There was segregation, but that stopped before I was born. When I grew up in VA there was massive economic segregation and some fairly ignorant attitudes, but I saw few examples overt racial violence or aggression, and evrybody really did try to stomp it out when they saw it. Or at least it seemed that way. I guess what I am saying is that the prejudice I thought was being eliminated was simply simmering under the surface. It's so sad to go back now and see how bad things are now that the old prejudices are out in the open. Not sure is Trump is a cause or a symptom.

Reactions: Rogifan

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
It took an assassination and a SCOTUS ruling for them to finally really integrate, and all within the same year.

Keep in mind that 50 years ago in this state, a man would be thrown in jail and kept away from his wife and children for being married to someone not of their own race.

BL.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
It took an assassination and a SCOTUS ruling for them to finally really integrate, and all within the same year.

Keep in mind that 50 years ago in this state, a man would be thrown in jail and kept away from his wife and children for being married to someone not of their own race.

BL.
Didn't know it was that late in history before such nonsense was overturned.... :(