White nationalists charter ship for catch and return to Middle East of Muslim refugees found at sea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Jul 31, 2017.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The idea is to search out refugees in distress at sea, "rescue" them and return them whence they embarked. Also to monitor any NGO assistance to migrants and report it as "human smuggling". This iteration of the project is run by European white nationalists but is funded by members of American alt-right and white supremacisst movements. They sought $80k for an initial effort but raised $158k. Some notorious white nationalist individuals and media outlets in the US have voiced support for the project and called for its replication "on a massive scale."

Excerpt:
    Europe’s white nationalists are taking border control into their own hands.

Funded with money from American white supremacists and the “alt-right” movement, a group called Generation Identity has chartered a ship it plans to use to snatch Muslim migrants out of Mediterranean waters and deliver them back to the Middle East.

The group says it will be looking for migrants in distress, leaning on maritime law that requires any boater to come to the aid of another in order to collect and redirect non-white refugees. The group also plans to monitor the activity of non-governmental organizations, whose rescue operations in the Mediterranean are characterized by Generation Identity as human smuggling.

Generation Identity calls its effort “Defend Europe.”

“Defend Europe is the only way to secure the European borders and to stop the drowning in the sea,” said Martin Sellner, an Austrian member of Generation Identity who is leading Defend Europe, in a promotional video about the project.

Generation Identity — begun in France and now in Austria, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands — raised funds for the ship on an American alt-right crowd-sourcing platform, winning the attention of some of America’s most famous white supremacists.
    This seems a horrendous thing for the blind eyes of regional governments to let pass. Perhaps time to tweak the maritime laws by which this outfit claims its tenuous legitimacy. Certainly past time for governments to put their heads together and find a better way to deal with the refugee situation. Or hey, you know, get to the roots of the problem: wars, famines, devastating economic insecurity...

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Be super funny if NK nuke America and they'll have refugees. I wonder, if such a thing happened, what white nationalists will make of being refugees themselves?

3. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Would be super funny if our missiles struck London rather than Pyongyang.:eek:

4. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah maybe not that funny, right? It was not even that funny when we popped satellite-guided bombs from a B52 into the Chinese embassy in Belgrade in 1999, apparently based on old maps, old intel and the belief the thing was an arms warehouse. Huge mistake. Or so the story went anyway...

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Old news, they've already been charged with people smuggling after charging 20 South Asian men €10,000 each for passage to Italy.

http://hopenothate.org.uk/2017/07/27/people-smuggling-charges-owner-crew-far-right-ship/

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

You only have to scratch to surface to find the hypocrisy, lies and corruption of far right nationalism.

8. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

So in effect a reverse St. Louis?
    What an awful world.

9. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes. The idea that these guys now twist the intent of maritime law --which says that any other vessel in the area must see to the aid of people from a vessel in distress-- is truly sickening.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

11. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well enough obfuscated to keep China from showing us what a really big mistake could be made to look like...

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The bombing took place not long after the Serbs shot down a F-117 Stealth Bomber.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I totally see the humor in a nuclear attack on America! :rolleyes:

14. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well standards in general have slipped some in recent times. :eek:

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Clearly

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

As recently as Inauguration Day 2017.

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

As long as it gets rid of the M25 and everything inside it.

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'd be ok with these guys rescuing them and returning them... provided that they stay in the camps with them for a week, or take them back to their home towns... you know, as a courtesy. :rolleyes:

If they don't want to be in a war zone or a refugee camp then they maybe should just take their boat into the middle of the Mediterranean and play "hide the torpedo" with one another.

19. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

I personally don't think it was our intention to bomb China's embassy per se in that night's attacks. I can't be the only one happy that China didn't instantly adopt the opposite view. I don't know who managed to make it clear to them and who decided to accept it.

Mistakes do happen, of course. Iran has maybe seemed a hard sell on that idea though. It's hard to tell how forever brittle may be the interactions between us and them. It was hard to tell for sure what was going on with the USS Vincennes v. IranAir 655 incident in 1988. We certainly ended up looking like we took wrong attitude in wrong place, wrong target, regardless of whether we really thought our helicopter had been under attack or not. There was so much conflicting info about who was monitoring or sending on which set of frequencies.

We were very quick initially to want to lay the PanAm 103 flight's terrible end at Iran's feet later that year; one of the alternate theories to Libya having been sole player there is that the incident was an arranged retaliation by Iran for those 290 civilian deaths in Iranian airspace over Iranian waters at our hands that summer.

I stay out of trying to second guess any of that. I had kin who elected to not come home for Christmas that year, unlike the majority of his Syracuse U classmates who were studying in London that year. Thirty five of them died over Lockerbie. The kid and a few classmates were in Prague on a Eurailpass holiday when PA103 went down. They learned about the bombing when a bartender came over and pointed at their Syracuse jackets and then at the TV... and expressed his condolences.

The kids were devastated. My kin never talks about that in more than a couple sentences that put it safely in the wayback, and I think he's never been able to process losing so many people he knew pretty well all at once, even though he understands his loss as way different to what the families of those students endured. "Different is not less," I would say.

I try to put those observations into context of understanding suffering of familes separated in war or during flight from it, with their additional burden of being far, far from home, perhaps permanently. So far, it's way too much of a stretch for me to try to understand these white nationalists plucking Muslim refugees from the Mediterranean waters, only to take them back to whence they fled, not knowing or caring what their plight was or will be -- and all just because they are not "white" or because they're of another religion and culture and their government has not barred the door effectively? I agree that the refugee problem in Europe and the flight from North Africa and the Middle East is a huge problem. How these guys are dealing with it is unconscionable, and not any kind of constructive solution. It's a message to those governments though that different efforts, positive ones, are desperately needed.

20. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Let me guess... you write for Kathy Griffin, right?

21. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I think the British are still salty we opened up a can of whoop ass on them at Yorktown.

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

As a sign of good will, let's send them a ship full of dentists.

23. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The rules are quite simple, people rescued at sea have to be brought to the nearest harbor.

The reality is that lots of "rescue ships" are patroling close to Lybian coast and then unload in Italy.

Human traffickers knowing that send out their customers in rafts designed to last just a few miles at sea.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Be careful or they'll come back and burn down the White House again.

25. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yeah, man. I'm not quite sure there is anything more funny than laughing at hundreds of thousands of people being nuked. Absolutely hilarious.

Bravo.