macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
  • Accused of "White Privilege."
  • Supposed to feel "White Guilt."
  • Black Lives Matter (Whites don't?)
  • Affirmative Action in College/Workplace
  • White Pride is associated with Nazis/KKK
  • "Reverse Racism" supposedly can't exist.
  • Only Whites are racist and they're the most racist
Just some thoughts.

Reactions: bodsio and Peter K.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Just some thoughts.
In response to your (deliberately hyperbolic) thread title: No, they are not.

Re your actual post, the "thoughts" posited, I would argue that, perhaps, you might consider a little less by way of brittle defensiveness, and a little more of the old "walk a mile in my moccasins".....

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Well there seems to be a subtle race war going on. Some people ignore it or are oblivious to it which aren't bad strategies. Being colorblind is one solution. I've met good and bad in all races. I think humans are doomed anyways so it's futile but I try to remain optimistic.

Reactions: Diving Capers

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
  • Just some thoughts.

I'll be honest and say I'm frequently struck at how fortunate I am to be a white man living in America. Comb my hair and put on a clean shirt, and there probably isn't anywhere I can't go.

I've never lost a job to a less-qualified black man, Asian woman, or disabled person.

I've never once felt any guilt about slavery, or the KKK, or the Nazis. On the other hand, I rightfully detest slavery, the KKK, and Nazism.

I'm proud of my heritage. Of all the good and great things Europeans have done over the last few centuries. I'm rightfully aware of the less-pleasant things they've done over the last few centuries. But I'm not wracked with guilt over them. They are lessons to put into action every day.

I don't fear hate any minority striving to attain the same level of access to the good things in America that I enjoy. More power to them. If America isn't living up to its promises, then we (including me) need to work a little harder.

Just some thoughts

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Just some thoughts.
See the thing is a lot of white people don't actually realize the range of privileges (or let's say lack of automatic suspicion) that a white person accrues just for being white. Maybe some white people have never walked out of an office building at 11pm just as a black colleague already out there trying to hail a taxi sees the "off duty" light come on as he steps from the curb, only to see the cab speed away.

Just one thought: I never had a problem hailing a cab at night as a white female. It's just a little thing. Like a lot of little things.

Here's another little thing: I got refused service once at a diner in 1960 when the owner mistook me for Mexican and I was just suntanned. Showed the guy an inch of my pale midriff and my money turned green again, imagine that.

That kind of racial discrimination is not legal any more at least in the USA but a million things just like it still happen every day to people of color. Just little things. One little thing after another, day in day out, from the time you're old enough to know you're not white until the day you die. Ask President Obama. Ask Colin Powell. Ask your evening doorman. He makes union pay and wears a fancy uniform from four to midnight and can't get a cab home to the Bronx without arranging a deal with a gypsy service.

Why did this speech have to be made at the US Air Force Academy prep school recently? The school's superintendent, Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria, talks about the power of diversity, but after racial slurs were scrawled on message boards at the prep school, the general also feels compelled to remind people they must treat people of another race or gender with dignity and respect. That's still not second nature yet in the USA. Maybe it never will be. And while it's not, then the idea of "white privilege" still persists. No one should be surprised then, that in the 21st century, a movement like Black Lives Matter can arise as one response to this lingering reluctance on the part of some of us to embrace the ideals of our constitution.

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
I feel for you. White Pride shouldn't bee seen as something bad. White LGTB have the same rights as other LGTB groups.

Stand up for your rights!

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I feel for you. White Pride shouldn't bee seen as something bad. White LGTB have the same rights as other LGTB groups.

Stand up for your rights!
Honestly, we are at the point where white guys can feel victimized as much as anybody else. And if you feel the need to unite with some like-minded victims and fight for whatever you feel you need, then do it.

You won't be able to cry on my white, male shoulders, but you will find someone who shares your pain, and is ready to advocate on your side.

Reactions: NightGeometry

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Dont feel like a victim, do feel privileged to have two parents in one household when I was younger that instilled hard work and education (sometimes with a belt when needed).
I felt somewhat victimized when I realized my parents had the babysitter first and then the babies... but I got over it and it's been fun having a bunch of brothers. Anyway I was stuck with them like we're all stuck with each other, might as well learn how to co-exist with classmates, colleagues, neighbors, and try to have some fun with them now and then in the meantime. Or at least get some good recipes off them. Good food can solve more problems than hunger pangs.

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
Honestly, we are at the point where white guys can feel victimized as much as anybody else. And if you feel the need to unite with some like-minded victims and fight for whatever you feel you need, then do it.

You won't be able to cry on my white, male shoulders, but you will find someone who shares your pain, and is ready to advocate on your side.
Thanks. I feel that the White Pride group should be able to walk hand in hand with all other LGTB groups in the parades. Either we need to incorporate a white stripe in the pride flag or we need serious recognition that white is a combination of all colors in the pride flag. So I vote for a either an all white pride flag or at least an extra stripe that is all white.

I also think that it could be something that virgins in the LGTB group could rally around.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks. I feel that the White Pride group should be able to walk hand in hand with all other LGTB groups in the parades. Either we need to incorporate a white stripe in the pride flag or we need serious recognition that white is a combination of all colors in the pride flag. So I vote for a either an all white pride flag or at least an extra stripe that is all white.

I also think that it could be something that virgins in the LGTB group could rally around.
Run that idea up the flagpole, and see if anybody salutes.

[predicts no one will]

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Just some thoughts.
So...do you have any concrete, real-life examples of how these....issues have affected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.