White People Rioting for No Good Reason

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Apr 29, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Denver 2014.
    Because a football team lost.

Just to even things out. From New York Magazine. Click to check out the rest.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

holy crap, never knew they rioted because the team lost, I have seen them riot because their team WON.

still just a bunch of freaking morons who need to be removed from society.

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Mile-high Morons.

5. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

Pennsylvania, 2011.

Because someone lost their job for ignoring sexual abuse of children.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thugs? Apologism?

Ohh.. wait! deflection!!

;)

BL.

7. smellysox8 macrumors regular

And this justifies the riots in Baltimore how? Irrelevant comparisons for the sake of drawing attention away from the blacks committing the atrocities in Baltimore.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

NO ...... it shows favoritism of which race is put in a more negative light, when every race does wrong.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Apologist much?

BL.

10. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Um, so these were approving photos of riots? I don't think so.

11. smellysox8 macrumors regular

Deflect much?

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

The moral, judicial justification of all things liberals on prsi.

Even, indeed.

Even

Steven

At least the PRSI field been finally chalked off.

Let the BUT CONSERVATIVES DID IT TOO games begin!

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Approving photos of riots? Are you serious? :confused:

A mob destroying property, which is CLEARLY VISIBLE in these photos, more than qualifies as a riot. What more are you looking for?

14. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Yeah, and these events were described contemporaneously and unambiguously as riots in the media as far as I can tell. So what comparison is being drawn?

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The comparison being drawn is connecting riots as a "black thing". And the 24/7 coverage it gets compared to the lesser known riots that involved mostly whites.

Baltimore didn't have any type of riot since the assassination of MLK. This is not a norm like some like to make it out to be.

16. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I don't know about that. Some of the riots that parallels were drawn to in the link in the OP were objectively much less violent and destructive (the Penn State riot had a damage total of just $190,000). I vividly recall more of the wall-to-wall coverage of the Vancouver riots, which were much bigger. The bigger key here is that the Baltimore riots are undisputedly motivated by a racial incident, so the racial theme of the coverage is almost certainly going to be elevated or amplified as a natural consequence. That's not quite true of the other riots cited. The OP reeks of quote mining and very selective recollection of other incidents too. "One person said something nice about a white perp, therefore media racism" just doesn't hold any water.

17. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

london 2011 was the daddy of the 21st century sofar

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A black man doing the same.

19. sim667 macrumors 65816

But it wasn't sparked because because of a football team.....

Anyway, there have been much bigger protests/riots than the ones that happened in london, since the year 2000.

20. leenak macrumors 68020

The language used for these types of riots were things like "crowds got a little too rowdy". It is generally put in a more positive light when displayed on the news.

And I ran across this the other day, it is a good example of the contrast of language used
    [​IMG]

21. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

That's a meme, not research. For example, this and this article are both pretty unrelentingly critical of the Penn state rioters. Heck, even this Fox News article uses pretty negative language. There's no racial undertone to the coverage, but it wasn't a racially-related incident either.

The whole thing is a weird meta-complaint anyway that seems apropos of nothing.

22. leenak macrumors 68020

Looking at those articles, I don't see a lot of the inflammatory language I've seen regarding black riots. "Savages", "Thugs". Sure they aren't trying to spin it in a positive light, but I see no attempts to dehumanize the rioters, which seems common in media coverage of black rioters.

23. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Anyone remember the Seattle WTO riots? Those were white people. They were called rioters, thugs, animals, etc.

Show me sports related black rioters being called thugs, rioters, animals and I'll be more inclined to accept the thesis.

It's reported differently when it's sports -- not race.

24. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Cite mainstream reporting that uses inflammatory terms. Not someone with a screw loose on facebook. Someone from the NY Times down to a local TV station.

For the record, here's a Vancouver riot article that calls the participants thugs and criminals. Here's another calling them thugs, thieves, and lunatics. This article references the term animals in a quote about the Vancouver rioters. This blogger (included because they did blog for a fairly well known news source) did call the Penn State rioters thugs.

I'm still just not getting the meta-complaints about tone. It's like people constructing memes need to learn to use google or something.