White privilege and the conversation about race

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

http://deadline.com/2014/10/bill-or...-white-privilege-killing-patton-video-852756/

Two rich white guys got into a shouting match over "white privilege". Jon Stewart mentioned that we need to have a conversation about race in America (while having a conversation about race in America). The next night, Stewart had an author on his show and he again said that we need to have a conversation about race in America. Host after host on msnbc say that Americans are afraid to have a conversation about race in the good old USA....all while having a conversation about race in this country. Meanwhile, a lot of people would like to stop hearing that everything is about race in this country. Personally, I see both sides. When a predominantly black high school in the south is still named after a confederate general, I kind of see the point that maybe we should discuss why that is. On the other hand, if I hear one more coworker complain that our manager is a racist cause he doesn't want people to sleep on the job.....

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Meh. I'm tired of being told that "we need to have a conversation on race."

I don't need to have a conversation about jack-****.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

We need to have a conversation about your antipathy.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

More like curmudgeoness.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

Tell me about Jack-**** then.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why does it have to be Jack-****? why can't it be Jose-Caca? it's about race, isn't it?

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

How about Hans-Scheiße?

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Let's talk about Pierre Merde. :D

9. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

It seems a bit strange to rename a school because the children's skin color has changed. Will you rename Washington DC too because Washington died a long time ago :s Don't try to change history, look at the future but above all improve the present.

10. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's not so much that they're changing the name of the school because the kids got darker, so much as that the guy the school's named after wasn't too friendly a figure to those darker kid's ancestors.

11. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Jefferson had slaves. Maybe we should change all the schools named after him, too? There are a bunch of those. When does it stop?

12. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Thomas Jefferson wasn't a Confederate general who was the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, though was he?

However, Gen. Nathan B. Forrest was, which was the main reason why the name of the school (named after him) was changed to Westside High School.

13. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That is definitely worse. Jefferson was no saint either so how do you draw the line? Who decides? Put it to a vote?

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Just use a little common sense. Jefferson wasn't a saint, by far, but he did a lot of great things in his time, and argued against the institution of slavery, despite being a slave owner himself, and I believe he freed his slaves after his death. Was he hypocritical? Yeah. But you could chalk that up to one big moment of weakness in the life of an otherwise good man.

It's like I've said previously in some other thread. It's not always fair to judge every facet of an historical figure through a modern lens.

Then you have General Forrest. What's he primarily known for? Fighting for the Confederacy, and by extension the very institution of slavery, then terrorizing black people as the first Grand Dragon of the Klan after his side lost the war. A goodly portion of his life was dedicated to subduing an entire group of people.

While we could argue this topic to the minutiae, in this instance, it's a pretty clear cut case.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well, local school boards usually have the authority to change school names, and such issues are usually decided upon by (the board members) voting.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The U.S. can't even call an act of terrorism exactly that for fear of being called a racist, even when the driving factor for the terrorism isn't based on race at all.

That alone tells me that you aren't ready for a discussion on race.

17. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Could be but I still do not see why the name should be changed. If it's really an issue for some blacks they shouldn't send their children there. That's it. This general will have had his merits too or they wouldn't have named a school after him.

----------

The irony is the descendants of many of the blacks who were imported are better off than their family in Africa. Really ironic...

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What incident are you talking about?

19. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I doubt there's a particular incident, because it seems obvious that Terror is about Religion & belief, not Race.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then, pray tell, what do we call the OKC bombing? Last I heard, it was called an act of terrorism.

BL.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

You seem to be confusing race and ideology....... For future reference the two aren't inextricably linked.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Fears of terrorism are at least somewhat rooted in Racism.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

A fear of a different ideology and a fear of a different race really aren't that different to someone who's looking for things to be fearful of.

25. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I would think people are concerned brown people with beards are going to crash their plane. They don't particularly care why.