White screen and showing in iTunes as being in recovery mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rjbarrett14, Jun 10, 2016.

1. rjbarrett14 macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors,

I have made an account on here purposely for this thread as I am a teenager who doesn't have much money to buy a new iPhone.

I have an iPhone 3GS which I've had for about four years now, and a few weeks ago, I kinda left my phone on a wall face-down and sat on it without realising. That isn't the cause of this problem though.

I went on a trip out for a couple of days and managed to leave the cap off my water bottle inside my backpack (which my phone was inside too) and water got into the phone. I put it in rice as soon as I got home and I've put a hairdryer to it an hour ago and plugged it into the wall. It turned on after about twenty-five minutes but it's been stuck on a white screen. So, I plugged it into my computer and iTunes is saying that it's in recovery mode.

I'm downloading the latest IPSW for it, but I'm wondering: will restoring it fix the white screen, or is it basically useless?

See picture of it here: https://twitter.com/DaRyanVox/status/741430657004474369

- Ryan.

EDIT: Just felt the back of the phone and realised that the area where the battery is located is a bit hotter than the rest of the phone. Another question: if parts do need replacing, it it worth it or should I buy a replacement?

2. akash.nu macrumors 68000

akash.nu

The phone is literally too old at this point. If it doesn't get fixed automatically then you should be able to get some second hand iPhone 5 or 5S at a really cheap price.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Restoring an Iphone with iTunes does not fix hardware or liquid damage.
    Most likely the phone shorted out.
    Bring it to a repair place.
    Probably not even worth spending the money fixing such an old, outdated and slow device.
    Get a new one and be more careful with it next time.

4. rjbarrett14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, will probably just stick the phone in the drawer then for the time being and get a second-hand 4S or 5 off eBay.