White screen of death...How to Fix??? Please help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fuzion11, Apr 11, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm trying to fix a friends iPod Touch 2nd Generation 16BG model...

You can press the power button all day long and nothing will happen with the screen. You can press the home button and then the power button to try a hard reset and you get the same result...nothing.

As soon as you plug it into iTunes it will recognize the device and say it is in recovery mode. When I try to restore it, it only gives an error 21. When pressing Shift/Restore and pointing it to a different firmware I get error 3194

I also tried connecting it to Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried plugging it into different USB ports, again with the same results.

I'm pretty sure it's the unit because the error 21 has happened on two computers.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions to get this thing working again?

Please advise....

Thanks,

James

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

No idea but the iPod forum would be your best bet. :)

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

There really isn't a good iPod forum to post in, there's is only iPod hacks & accessories. Still if an solution worked on an iPhone it should still work on an iPod.

So does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks.

4. blubyu macrumors member

Pretty sure you have to hold the home button while you plug it in. Then iTunes will see that it has a corrupted iOS and ask if you want to restore.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

try putting it in DFU mode.

Hold power and home button for 15 seconds, then release the power button but continue holding the home button for 5 seconds. Then, connect it to iTunes and do a restore. If you get an error, edit the etc/hosts file and comment out the xxx.xxx.x.x gs.apple.com line. That should clear up the error issue. I hope this helps. let us know if it does.

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey Clutch,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I've tried recovery and DFU multiple times. I've even commented out the gs line and tried with the comment. Still no luck. At this point I have to assume it's a hardware issue and not software...unless of course anyone else has any advise on how to proceed.

Thanks everyone.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Again, this is an iPhone forum. But I understand your dilemma.

If a restore from DFU mode will not fix it, you're only option is to take it into an Apple store and see if the Genius bar can fix it. Sometimes, its merely a lose cable internally. Other times its the LCD.

8. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks for your advise. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the LCD like you mentioned.

9. Insomnihax macrumors newbie

I've fixed multiple iPhones with the White Screen of death. 9/10 it was a busted LCD due to fall damage but the errors you are receiving sounds like something software related. Very odd indeed.

10. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

A little offtopic... Where do you buy your LCDs from? I've got the same issue now and probably need to replace it.

11. Insomnihax macrumors newbie

Amazon :p