White screen of death on startup, is my HDD about to die?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hzxu, Jan 12, 2010.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2008
    Just now I powered up my macbook pro 13"(I bought it last August) and saw the white screen for several minutes, so I pressed and held the power button to force it shutdown, then I pressed it again, this time the machine boots as usual. I searched the website, saw other people having the same problem, many of them reported HDD failure, and I recall that several hours ago my Trash Can does not accept files for no reason, when I drag something into Trash it told me the item will be delete immediately, maybe this is related to the white screen of death and HDD problem. I am very worried about this, as I have some very important documents in my harddisk, I've already backed up them using CD and usb stick, because I am working on these documents, I cannot keep burning CDs after modifying bits and bits of the documents, and copy them to USB stick seems to be very inconvenient. I need some suggestions on:

1 Is my HDD about to die? I checked using Disk Utilities, it did not show any problem.
    2 Is buying a new HDD a good idea for now? Or buy a USB HDD for time machine is a better option? I don't want to buy both internal HDD and USB HDD as I heard that Apple will replace HDD for free if it is a failure.

Thanks very much!
  2. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2009
    Where ever my life takes me...
    Your Mac is still under warranty (if you have the 13" MBP) and, therefore, take it in to a store. You're entitled to a new hdd if it fails. Don't hold out, mate.

Habitus :apple:
  3. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 17, 2008
    Thanks for your reply.

The question is, my MBP is working now, currently the HDD is working, even it has some possibility to fail in a short time, it is in fact working, so I cannot get a replacement for HDD failure.