White screen of death on startup, is my HDD about to die?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hzxu, Jan 12, 2010.

1. hzxu macrumors regular

Just now I powered up my macbook pro 13"(I bought it last August) and saw the white screen for several minutes, so I pressed and held the power button to force it shutdown, then I pressed it again, this time the machine boots as usual. I searched the website, saw other people having the same problem, many of them reported HDD failure, and I recall that several hours ago my Trash Can does not accept files for no reason, when I drag something into Trash it told me the item will be delete immediately, maybe this is related to the white screen of death and HDD problem. I am very worried about this, as I have some very important documents in my harddisk, I've already backed up them using CD and usb stick, because I am working on these documents, I cannot keep burning CDs after modifying bits and bits of the documents, and copy them to USB stick seems to be very inconvenient. I need some suggestions on:

1 Is my HDD about to die? I checked using Disk Utilities, it did not show any problem.
    2 Is buying a new HDD a good idea for now? Or buy a USB HDD for time machine is a better option? I don't want to buy both internal HDD and USB HDD as I heard that Apple will replace HDD for free if it is a failure.

Thanks very much!

2. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Your Mac is still under warranty (if you have the 13" MBP) and, therefore, take it in to a store. You're entitled to a new hdd if it fails. Don't hold out, mate.

Habitus :apple:

3. hzxu thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.

The question is, my MBP is working now, currently the HDD is working, even it has some possibility to fail in a short time, it is in fact working, so I cannot get a replacement for HDD failure.