White SGP Leather Skin Guard Review w/ Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Meltdownblitz, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I ordered the SGP White Leather Skin Guard about a week ago, took about 2-3 days to come which isn't bad. Today I finally got around to installing it and decided to take some photos to show you all.

My first impression of the SGP Leather Skin Guard is that it felt like some sort of fake leather, not sure what it is made of but it has the look and impression of leather, not soft though like real leather is usually.

A few tips about me, I HATE installing screen protectors and when I do I always seem to have a problem with them. It will bug the crap out of me if there is 1 bubble or dust speck underneath, therefore I have had friends always install it for me. With that said, I was terrifed to install the Leather Skin Guard by myself as I did not want to mess it up or wait for friends to help me, so I faced my fear and did it myself.

I am happy I did it myself and I can really say it looks PERFECT! With a few tries, I took my time and lined it up with the Apple Logo and it turned out perfect, very satisfied. So anyone that has fears of installing screen protectors, there is hope, I did it.

With that said, I took some photos for all of you, I took photos after the Skin Guard was applied. I took photos of the naked iPhone, with the Case-mate Hula Black (my favorite case) and the Apple Bumper. Let me mention that I previously had a Invisible shield Applied and I DID NOT take it off. I was scared my apple logo would get scratched up so I decided to give it a shot applying the Skin Guard over the invisible shield and it came out perfectly. Doesn't add much bulk, I can imagine it might add a little more then without the invisible shield but still works with the bumper as well as the casemate hula perfectly, didn't experience any issues with lifting.

Sorry for the crappy photos, I quickly snapped a few photos with my iPhone 3GS Camera because my SLR Camera was dead, hope the pics give you an idea of what the skin guard looks like in the cases.

Well lets get to it:

Heres the Naked iPhone with White SGP Leather Skin Guard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with the Apple Bumper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Case-mate Hula Black:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Between the Case-mate Hula case, and the Apple bumper, they are both a very good fit with the Invisible shield/SGP Leather Skin Guard combination. A few things I can mention how they are different is the apple bumper's rubber is raised onto the skin guard, which I was surprised it raised that high, I thought it would lift my skin guard since I have the invisible shield underneath it making it a tad bulkier. The Case-mate Hula's rubber does not raise over the Skin guard, but it does raise for a slight lay on the table design.

I do perfer the clean look of the Case-mate Hula's clear band combined with the black rubber, it doesn't even look like there is a case on my phone until you look at the back and its white with black outline. I do have to say if you want a naked iPhone, this is the closest way to accomplish that. Before I applied the White Skin Guard, it was almost impossible to tell there was a case on the phone until you held it or looked at it closely, at just a glance, no one would have ever thought I had a Bumper type case on it. I am kind of caught between choosing which case to use with this set up.

I think the Case-mate Hula's clear sides makes it look like its caseless, but the apple bumper's black sides pulls out the white back more.

Which Case do you guys perfer for this set up?

------------------------------------------------------

I also tried the boiling trick on the Apple Bumper before I installed it onto my phone because it was a tad too loose. As you all can see it worked out good, made the bumper tighter fitting. The only down fall is it but it misaligned my Vibrate switch. The Vibrate switch doesn't seem to rub on the plastic though which is good, but it is very close. The plastic volume buttons on the Apple bumper as well as the Sleep/wake button still works perfectly. I did 2 cycles of 1 minute boiling as well as cooling off period for about 30 seconds, meaning let the bumper run in the water after pulling it out of the pot.

If you haven't heard of this, you can find the video on youtube located here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc8lqh8UiCo

Here are a few "close-up" photos of the vibrate switch, hope you can see it from the awesome zoom on the 3GS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed my quick review. Feel free to let me know if you all have any questions.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep, still satisfied with it. Suprisingly it hasn't gotten dirty, still bright white. Heres how it currently looks with my Neo Hyrbid Ex:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

im going to order the SGP Leather Skin Guard

also another bumper

I wonder which of these would look better with the SGP Leather Skin Guard on the back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the black or white bumper

what u think Meltdownblitz

5. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Definitely the first one, I ordered that bumper and posted photos a while ago. I have photos of it with my leather skin on the back, here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1049233&page=4

I personally like the Neo Hybrid Ex better though.